Adagio overtakes Steepster ?

faj

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Chip wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:37 pm
They essentially drove the car off the bridge ... several times ... because they could. In the process they essentially killed TC.
In many cases, it is hard to tell whether self-defeating mistakes such as this one are made. Malice? Incompetence? Playing with things you do not understand? Seeing an opportunity for commercial gain while downplaying the risks? It can be a strategy directed from the top, and it can be the last hired guy being a jerk or wanting to save a few GB of space.

I was never a member of TC, so I did not go through that painful process like you did. I guess the creation of this forum, controlled by people who are invested enough in the adventure to avoid doing something massively destructive like that, is a shared benefit we all get to enjoy, so while I cannot repair what was done, let me thank you for your time and involvement.
Pants404

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:08 pm

I do not doubt that those who weren't around for the downfall of TC and merge to TF all of this looks so pretty.
I am not commenting on anything outside of saying that their denial is a sign of things to come. I hate that another great resource is going to potentially fall apart, seeing that tea culture is barely starting to grow in Australia.

I truly hope they prove us wrong, but if we continue to invest in steepster we could lose a lot. Alternately if we abandon it we will be the ones to bring it down.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:11 pm

This topic really is ‘current news’ (old news too) so moved it here. I am glad we are having an open conversation about what propelled the creation of TeaForum and it’s founding history. My comments are in the Future of Steepster thread, exhausting to revisit, but good to share with members as well.
mbanu

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:24 am
Also deafening silence in regards to recent fake accounts for promotion and screenshots taken of later disappeared heated discussions...

He knew exactly what happened and has no reply which would not make him look worse than it already is.
I think Adagio is late to that game, which makes them more obvious. If you go somewhere like /r/tea on Reddit, when someone just "happens" to post a photo of a brand's teas as an enthusiastic new tea drinker and it also just happens to get an unusual amount of upvotes, there is some expectation that maybe this is a form of guerilla marketing, or at least was originally until it got enough momentum to carry on its own as a trend. I think that TeaChat might have been when this style of marketing first started to take off, but it was not Adagio that was benefiting. My guess is that they eventually realized this and began removing tea reviews even by genuine posters and trying to do their own fake posts.

I think when it started, Adagio might have been trying to do what Stash Tea was doing in the late 90s, where by becoming a general tea resource it raised their own reputation: https://web.archive.org/web/19981212033 ... shtea.com/ But back then I don't think vendors pretending to be drinkers to raise the profile of hard-to-sell teas was really a problem, although I could be wrong.

Part of it I think was that the internet was less international when it came to selling things, people bought from vendors located in their own countries, which meant that if a vendor misrepresented itself it could very well end up in court. When the sale crosses international borders, it becomes much more complicated and unlikely to resolve itself in that way, so "But we might get sued" is not necessarily the concern now that it was at that time when it comes to shady forms of marketing.