Ripe-Raw blended cakes

Puerh and other heicha
oolongfan

Sun May 05, 2019 5:37 pm

What do you think of cakes that are a blend of ripe and raw pu'erh?

Are these blended cakes just a mix of raw and ripe pu'erh..or are they a different process entirely?

I am curious becuase I never see any articles or discussions about these types of cakes. Please share your experiences -good and bad.

I have not yet got into the dark side..so I probably should try some shou before exploring ripe-raw blended cakes. ..but in the meantime, I would like to learn more about them.
aet

Sun May 05, 2019 7:03 pm

I had it once in my frind's tea shop in Kunming tea shop when it was brought by Guangzhou dealer. It was 5 y old sheng mixed and pressed with mild fermented sheng . The cake was wet stored so the differences between those two was , in my opinion , not that radical. Yet , could taste it like sweet shu with bitter and astringent end of sheng. Kind of weird though. Not sure if I could have it as daily drinker. I was told that time , that's the Cantonese thing.
I haven't seen it normally sold on "shelf" anywhere in Kunming. U might need to have look at Guanzhou or HK vendors.
oolongfan

Thu May 23, 2019 8:24 pm

aet - Thanks for sharing youre experience...sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I had no idea that raw-rip blends were a Cantonese thing...learn something new every day here. I have never delved into the dark side of shou....so I probably should try some first.

Peurh Junky has a semi aged CNNP raw-ripe blend..so that is what piqued my interest. Later saw two offerings from Yunnan Sourcing..but otherwise I have never seen this blend.