Hokujo teaware

Victoria
Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:55 pm

gatmcm wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:49 pm
Everytime you guys post those beautiful pots I end up windowshopping at artistic nippon for hours, I don't even drink a lot of japanese teas :lol:
++1 and buying too...
Bok

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:30 am
Nice instructional images Bok. I see you got Hokujo because of material used, now I hope you will come to appreciate superb Japanese craftsmanship as well :)
I do already!

I would say that next to a porcelain pot/gaiwan a Hokujo is probably your best and safest investment if you are after getting the most out of your teas.

I say safe, because of course you could go for a Yixing, but with a Hokujo you know the clay is always good and the has the same properties. Yixing is a guessing game and one is probably going to dump money worth a multitude of Hokujos, before you find a pot that has the same properties. And you might never do so.
Bok

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 pm

jpo1933 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 pm
^ Very instructional!
But that last pic is a little scary! :lol:
Hope the lid is secure enough holding it that way
quite safe I assure you!
Bok

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am

So after repeated test-brewing all sorts of teas and also side-by-sides I come to a slightly divergent conclusion as to what others thought of tea pairing for Hokujo.

As it is apparently preferable to stick to one kind of tea for Hokujo clay, I will most likely go for Taiwan High mountain. The reason being that the difference in taste was the most obvious and also clearly better than other kinds of pot.

Other teas like roasted in different intensity and black tea, while not being inferior at all, had not seen a clear improvement either. A tiny weeny bit different, but I would say not enough to justify dedicating it to those teas exclusively. I just seem to like the effect Hokujo has on greener oolong more.

On the other hand my other pots do not as clearly improve a high mountain as a Hokujo does.

With the exception of thin walled, wood fired Taiwanese pots which do also improve high mountain, albeit in a different way.
ShuShu

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am

Bok wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am
So after repeated test-brewing all sorts of teas and also side-by-sides I come to a slightly divergent conclusion as to what others thought of tea pairing for Hokujo.

As it is apparently preferable to stick to one kind of tea for Hokujo clay, I will most likely go for Taiwan High mountain. The reason being that the difference in taste was the most obvious and also clearly better than other kinds of pot.

Other teas like roasted in different intensity and black tea, while not being inferior at all, had not seen a clear improvement either. A tiny weeny bit different, but I would say not enough to justify dedicating it to those teas exclusively. I just seem to like the effect Hokujo has on greener oolong more.

On the other hand my other pots do not as clearly improve a high mountain as a Hokujo does.

With the exception of thin walled, wood fired Taiwanese pots which do also improve high mountain, albeit in a different way.
Have you tried it with sencha?
Bok

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am

ShuShu wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:38 am
Have you tried it with sencha?
No, I do not drink Sencha at all :oops:
Oolong only.