Kintsugi artists? students?

ShuShu

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 pm

I have some yixing teaware that requires some Kintsugi help. Nothing serious, no broken lids or handles, just a number of serious chips mostly on rims and spouts.
Would be happy to hear if anyone knows a US-based Kintsugi student or hobbyist (I had a friend who used to do this kind of work as a hobby but he is now in Singapore). I'm familiar with a few well-established artists but that will probably cost a fortune (in some cases more than the pots, some of which were sold pretty cheaply exactly because of these issues).
Since these are really minor fixes I don't think it requires a master...
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 pm

ShuShu wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 pm
I have some yixing teaware that requires some Kintsugi help. Nothing serious, no broken lids or handles, just a number of serious chips mostly on rims and spouts.
Would be happy to hear if anyone knows a US-based Kintsugi student or hobbyist (I had a friend who used to do this kind of work as a hobby but he is now in Singapore). I'm familiar with a few well-established artists but that will probably cost a fortune (in some cases more than the pots, some of which were sold pretty cheaply exactly because of these issues).
Since these are really minor fixes I don't think it requires a master...
Nissan Haque, does beautiful Kintsugi. He is in NY and also works with TShop. You can find him on Facebook and on Instagram as Knjitea.
Bok

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Or have a go at it yourself? I know a few people who have successfully done so.

Advisable to use a few practice pieces before touching the food pots!

If you are not too clumsy with doing tiny works, it shouldn’t be too difficult to do a decent job.
Bok

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 am

also not the most practical tip maybe, but I know there is a skillful Kintsugi master in Taichung, Taiwan. He came highly recommend by Scott (Teachat user Teart08). But then for the cost of the trip you'd probably better just pick up some more pots and cheap tea :mrgreen:
tealifehk
Vendor

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:01 am

JB Weld and gold dust kintsugi by me :) First try.

tingjunkie

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:46 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:22 pm
Nissan Haque, does beautiful Kintsugi. He is in NY and also works with TShop. You can find him on Facebook and on Instagram as Knjitea.
+1. He's the man! He also does staple repair work too! Here's a pot that he did some gintsugi (brass) work for me.
Bok

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 am

Just be sure they use food safe and heat resistant material!