Gaiwan

User avatar
There is no self
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:16 am
Location: Northwestern Italy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 am

thommes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 am

I recently saw a video that suggests that gaiwans are made only from porcelain but I know that isn't true because I've seen clay gaiwans for sale. I'm wondering if there are unglazed gaiwans, like teapots. I don't remember seeing an unglazed gaiwan.
Gaiwans definitely can be unglazed. Case in point:
photo_2020-01-16_14-17-50.jpg
photo_2020-01-16_14-17-50.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Of course being unglazed means you either dedicate it to one type of tea or clean it every few months with baking soda. This one I use for shengs.


If you're unsure what to buy, a white porcelain gaiwan is always a good choice. They're as neutral as it gets, come in a variety of sizes (usually in the 90-160 ml range, but I've seen smaller ones), and they're inexpensive so even if you break them it's not a big loss.
Pouring from a gaiwan can be tricky, but if you hold it properly by the rim and don't put too much water you won't feel the heat. Well alright, you might still feel it, but it won't burn your fingers.
The only teas I do gong fu style is sheng and shou and maybe heicha. I'm thinking about getting some type of french press for work/travel and keeping the clay gaiwains and teapots at home.
Also important to remember that gaiwans are not strictly reserved for gong fu brewing. You can have more relaxed sessions with a gaiwan too, especially if it's a large one. I find it's still better than a single, long brewing in a Western pot or in a French press.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm

thommes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 am
klepto wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm looking for either a gaiwan that won't melt my fingers or an easy gaiwan that I can take places like work. I know M&L makes great gaiwans but I don't know what I am looking for. I'm looking to graduate from western brewing to super minimalist gong fu brewing. Halp plz :D
1. What type of tea are you going to brew with it?
2. From what I've read, you will get calluses and eventually not feel the heat
3. So far, the month or two that I've been using my small porcelain gaiwan has taught me you don't get calluses fast enough!
4. I'm getting in your boat, move over.

I'm looking for basically the same thing you are. I have a small to me 120ml porcelain gaiwan that I just got from Amazon to get into gong fu brewing while I learn. The only teas I do gong fu style is sheng and shou and maybe heicha. I'm thinking about getting some type of french press for work/travel and keeping the clay gaiwains and teapots at home.

I recently saw a video that suggests that gaiwans are made only from porcelain but I know that isn't true because I've seen clay gaiwans for sale. I'm wondering if there are unglazed gaiwans, like teapots. I don't remember seeing an unglazed gaiwan.
I'll be brewing oolong for the most part, its my fav. I see we both got an electric kettle at the same time and now going toward gong fu brewing at the same time. Do you have too many samples like I do at the moment? I picked up a cute 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan from Mudandleaves along with two cups of the same type.
Vanenbw
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I'll be brewing oolong for the most part, its my fav. I see we both got an electric kettle at the same time and now going toward gong fu brewing at the same time. Do you have too many samples like I do at the moment? I picked up a cute 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan from Mudandleaves along with two cups of the same type.
I'm slowly moving toward the smaller cups and pots. I'm not ready for a 100ml gaiwan, or smaller. I just purchased a 150ml Jingdezhen gaiwan from Red Blossom. I will probably eventually buy a smaller one, but I'm still kind of stuck in the 150ml-160ml range for now.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Vanenbw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 pm
klepto wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I'll be brewing oolong for the most part, its my fav. I see we both got an electric kettle at the same time and now going toward gong fu brewing at the same time. Do you have too many samples like I do at the moment? I picked up a cute 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan from Mudandleaves along with two cups of the same type.
I'm slowly moving toward the smaller cups and pots. I'm not ready for a 100ml gaiwan, or smaller. I just purchased a 150ml Jingdezhen gaiwan from Red Blossom. I will probably eventually buy a smaller one, but I'm still kind of stuck in the 150ml-160ml range for now.
My next gaiwan will be a celadon gaiwan after I get my feet wet :D
Vanenbw
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Nice. I just happen to be watching a video on Red Blossom's YouTube channel now called Intro to Celadon.
thommes
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 am

klepto wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm
I'll be brewing oolong for the most part, its my fav. I see we both got an electric kettle at the same time and now going toward gong fu brewing at the same time. Do you have too many samples like I do at the moment? I picked up a cute 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan from Mudandleaves along with two cups of the same type.
Too many samples... uhm. NOYES? Can one have toooo many samples? What I have is not enough time to try them all this second. @mrmopu was kind enough to send me some pu samples, both sheng and shou. I so wanted to just rip the packages open and taste them all. I even kidded with him saying I put all the samples in the same cup and tried them all at once! However, this is not a passing interest as I've been drinking tea all my life and just realized that even though I was only drinking loose leaf, I was doing it poorly. So I want to take my time, take notes, try to figure out how to tell the difference between aged puer and new puer, autumn and spring tea, wet and dry storage, and though I don't see my palate being able to, the difference in mountains.

So too many samples? No. :D

I don't remember. Did we buy the same kettle? How are you liking your kettle? I'm liking mine so far, though I refuse to read the manual. So far I'm doing ok with it, and it's smart enough to turn itself off after about an hour so I can sleep well at night knowing that I didn't leave it on and burn down the HQ building at work.
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 pm

thommes wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 am
klepto wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm
I'll be brewing oolong for the most part, its my fav. I see we both got an electric kettle at the same time and now going toward gong fu brewing at the same time. Do you have too many samples like I do at the moment? I picked up a cute 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan from Mudandleaves along with two cups of the same type.
Too many samples... uhm. NOYES? Can one have toooo many samples?
True, one cannot have too many samples. I bought two medium sized Airscapes last night to stash them, along with some descaler for my kettle. I bought the Bonavita Interurban IL, and having that hold go off after 60 minutes makes sure you don't burn down the house/work place. I like the timer on it too so I don't oversteep my tea. I just recently by accident stumbled into the world of tea after buying some nice hasami porcelain mugs for hot cocoa in the winter :P. I love oolongs but I do want to try different ones also.
Capoutchou
New user
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Here's my nice little white gaiwan, basic, on the cheap side, simple, does the job.
IMG_20200209_225050.jpg
IMG_20200209_225050.jpg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
IMG_20200209_225440.jpg
IMG_20200209_225440.jpg (141.25 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
long tie guan yin leaves at the end of brew
IMG_20200209_225155.jpg
IMG_20200209_225155.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Capoutchou
New user
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

thommes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 am
klepto wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm looking for either a gaiwan that won't melt my fingers or an easy gaiwan that I can take places like work. I know M&L makes great gaiwans but I don't know what I am looking for. I'm looking to graduate from western brewing to super minimalist gong fu brewing. Halp plz :D
1. What type of tea are you going to brew with it?
2. From what I've read, you will get calluses and eventually not feel the heat
3. So far, the month or two that I've been using my small porcelain gaiwan has taught me you don't get calluses fast enough
(...)
I handle the gaiwan with the saucer, I take the whole thing in my hand, thumb on the edges of the knob, not touching the inside of the hollow part, and my fingers on the saucer (like my last picture) and no burning garanteed, caluses or not :)
Last edited by pedant on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: fixed broken quote
dyungim
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 pm
Location: USA

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Does anyone know where I might find a smaller, 60mL ish gaiwan of around this quality https://redblossomtea.com/products/gaiwan-summer
Image

but with a bowl lip that is more flared like this one: https://www.kongmountaintea.com/gaiwan- ... aiwan-wide
Image



Plain white is ideal. I don't like gaiwans with the sharp corner at the base of the bowl.
dyungim
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 pm
Location: USA

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:00 pm

thommes wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 am
klepto wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
I'm looking for either a gaiwan that won't melt my fingers or an easy gaiwan that I can take places like work. I know M&L makes great gaiwans but I don't know what I am looking for. I'm looking to graduate from western brewing to super minimalist gong fu brewing. Halp plz :D
1. What type of tea are you going to brew with it?
2. From what I've read, you will get calluses and eventually not feel the heat
3. So far, the month or two that I've been using my small porcelain gaiwan has taught me you don't get calluses fast enough!
4. I'm getting in your boat, move over.

I'm looking for basically the same thing you are. I have a small to me 120ml porcelain gaiwan that I just got from Amazon to get into gong fu brewing while I learn. The only teas I do gong fu style is sheng and shou and maybe heicha. I'm thinking about getting some type of french press for work/travel and keeping the clay gaiwains and teapots at home.

I recently saw a video that suggests that gaiwans are made only from porcelain but I know that isn't true because I've seen clay gaiwans for sale. I'm wondering if there are unglazed gaiwans, like teapots. I don't remember seeing an unglazed gaiwan.
What you two might find works is a gaiwan that has wide flaring lip, they stay a bit cooler. https://www.kongmountaintea.com/gaiwan- ... aiwan-wide

That particular one might be a little too exaggerated, but it's the best example picture i could find.

@thommes @klepto
yettea
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am
Location: Hong Kong

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 am

I am using this thin walled white. It fits nicely in one's hand and is of the right size for a single serving of tea. The lid also fits nicely. The outflow of water is smooth and the surface of the gaiwan has good insulation and does not scald your hand even when hot.
Attachments
8_400x400.jpg
8_400x400.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 925 times
yettea
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am
Location: Hong Kong

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:56 am

yettea wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 am
I am using this thin walled white. It fits nicely in one's hand and is of the right size for a single serving of tea. The lid also fits nicely. The outflow of water is smooth and the surface of the gaiwan has good insulation and does not scald your hand even when hot.
Image
I forgot to say it's from Pure Chinese Tea :lol:
User avatar
klepto
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:24 pm
Location: Floridaman, USA

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Now that I can grip gaiwans a couple different ways decently I can now search for the right gaiwan :P.
The best one I own right now is from Mud and Leaves. The 100ml Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Porcelain Gaiwan
is too thin to use normally so I grab it from the base with my thumb on the lid. I may have to go back to M&L for a slightly
larger size. I'm looking for one that is a bit thicker while being very well made.

Where'd you buy your favorite gaiwan?
Noonie
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm
Location: Canada

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Capoutchou wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

I handle the gaiwan with the saucer, I take the whole thing in my hand, thumb on the edges of the knob, not touching the inside of the hollow part, and my fingers on the saucer (like my last picture) and no burning garanteed, caluses or not :)
That’s how I handle one as well. Have for a decade and never had a mis-handle, burn or any discomfort
Post Reply