Chanting Pines

wave_code

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 am

Looks like the online shop is a joint venture with a tea house in Malaysia and a tea house in Australia. They have quite a few really nice looking aged tea offerings that you wouldn't find from other western vendors, higher end teapots, but everything is of coursed priced accordingly. They don't really do sample sizes, and with some of the prices being quite high its tempting but I'm also a bit reluctant to dive in. Anyone given anything a try from them? Experiences?
carogust

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:23 am

On the topic, I'd like to hear experiences with their yixing pots. They claim that their zini teapots are non muting, which is hard to believe considering the consensus of how zini acts.
Bok

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 am

Consensus is one, reality maybe something else :)

There are lots of Zini out there, in different clay compositions and firings, antique, vintage and new. I wouldn’t dare to pass a general judgement on their behaviour... I’ve had some which are what one might call absorbing, some very little, some made tea dull, some enhanced it to new heights. Some worked with green, some with roasted, see the picture emerging?

Concerning Chanting pines, I do like their look from a design point of view, I don’t like their marketing talk. Their antiques are frankly quite overpriced and conveniently dated back a bit, whereas one can’t really be sure wether they are Qing or Early ROC. Late Qing/early ROC is usually the honest way to mark them. Also doubt that those cups are Ming, at least one can’t be that sure... but for sure it sells better.
.m.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 am

They are acting as western facing reseler for the Malaysian boutique http://chazhiji.my/ The prices reflect that.
I think Chazhiji shares or shared some common connections also with Essence of Tea and also with Global Tea Hut, so there might be some similarity or overlap (e.g. yixing pots form Zhou Qi Kun and Chen Ju Fang studio, yancha from Huang family, etc.).
I haven't ordered from them, but i've been intrigued.