What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
tealifehk
Vendor

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 am

plod wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am
^That is heavy brewing. In light of that, the following will make me seem even more of a wuss. Two days ago, I tried VC-parameters for the last of my sample of HY Chen Heavy roast, so brewed 10 grams using 180ml and steep times of 60s+. She did warn that she liked it pretty strong, and did suggest trying shorter steeps, but I didn't listen, and was therefore surprised by the extremely robust brew. Very rich. Third and fourth steeps brought out some sparkling violent plum and warm woody notes. Very nice.

I do think the roast on this should have had more time to calm down though, as I experienced some discomfort (burnt-feeling tongue and palate) after both this and the previous session. I notice that I've become particularly sensitive to such things the last year, much to my annoyance. I also stopped using two of my clay brewing vessels, as something in them seems to cause similar reactions. Could be poor quality clay in those cases, as I do not have any problems with the beautiful red shudei kyusu I bought from Ferg recently. Weird.
Let's see the offending pots?

I did find that Chen's tea was very fresh and needed air/time to come into its own. Both of the teas I purchased in 2016 were more to my taste and more complex a year later!

I tend to use less leaf with rolled Taiwanese teas as the leaves tend to be much larger (as a result of more intensive fertilizer use possibly). The leaves really expand a lot. As a general rule I fill a teapot to 1/4 to 1/3 if using Taiwanese rolled oolong leaf. With tieguanyin/Wuyicha/baozhong I go to 50% dry leaf. Many like to fill their pots almost all the way up to the top with wuyicha/dancong but thats a bit much for me!

Edit: I use as much as 75% dry leaf with green baozhong.
Last edited by tealifehk on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plod

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:18 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 am
Let's see the offending pots?
Good idea! Don't have access to them at the moment, but I will take some pictures soon and get back to this subject.
pedant
Admin

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm

i'm having the last few grams of DYL i got from T SHOP.
this is the best gaoshan i've had this year.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 pm

pedant wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm
i'm having the last few grams of DYL i got from T SHOP.
this is the best gaoshan i've had this year.
And I finished a DYL from Floating Leaves that I knew needed to be finished since it was 2015 + loose in double lidded stainless canister. As expected the aroma was wow great and rich but the brew was much woodier than when fresh. From now on I’ll keep teas in original packing, seal with clip and then put in double lidded canisters. Plus with DYL I need to pay attention and finish within a better time frame.

I will make a special visit to T Shop in NYC this December to get to know the place since so many people really like it. Elena at Te Company (very nearby and friend of T Shop) I already love her oolongs and her Portuguese chef husbands tea pairings evenings. Power tea couple.
debunix

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Tonight, 2016 Winter Alishan from Norbu. Spicy, summer grasses turning gold, hints of flowers and cinnamon. I crowded it a bit more than usual in the pot and it is not appreciating that. It wants more space to unfurl, and display its flavors, whether eyes are wide open or wide shut.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Last night’s Dongpian (2016 Lishan Winter leaf) was one of those teas which makes one dream very vividly and keeps you running the whole night! I am not alone with this observation, my tea compagnion had the same reaction. Creamy, yet fresh and very smooth. Mjiam!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:51 am

Another mystery gift. Label says in Chinese: Very well made Oolong, Green oxidised. When brewed it is clear that is is indeed a more oxidised tea, I would say medium. The leaves where still quite green, so it was not apparent by view only. Smelling the dry leaves I would have maybe said Alishan, but once drunk it is a whole lot different kind of tea. Indeed very well made, smooth flowery, honey lingering taste with a powerful aftertaste. No roughness. On first tasting it seems light but it is not, very powerful tea. I can taste this tea must be expensive.

I could have pushed it beyond the 8 infusions I had, but I prefer to end it before it declines.

Brewed in the newest member if my teaware family, a 150ml wood fired pot from Peter Kuo, Daqian Pottery studio. One of the lucky few which survived the last firing, the majority of pots were unusable...
Attachments
IMG_6650.jpg
IMG_6650.jpg (175.65 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
debunix

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 am

Beautiful pot and sounds like a tea worthy of it!
Leafhopper

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm drinking and trying to figure out the "1960s" oolong sold by Song. It tastes very aged but I don't have very much experience with very aged teas, so I can't say for sure.

Does anyone have experience with it? Don't get me wrong, it's a great tea, but I'm just skeptical about the age claim. I've only had a few teas from the 1970s/80s, so it's difficult to know how legitimate it is. It certainly tastes like the oldest thing I've had, but who knows?
Brent D

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Just finished my dyl from Chen. I wish I had the self control to save some and see how it ages:)
Looks like I’ll have to put in another order soon
_Soggy_

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 am

2017 shui xian from OldwaysTea way too early in the morning. It is nice.
Aya

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 am

Li Shan from Hojo. Clear and sweet aroma, just like wrapping me.
debunix

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Winter Alishan from Norbu, grandpa style in Petr's large chawan. I got the chawan out for a bit of matcha, and am keeping it warm with the Alishan. There's a quality to most of the low-roast/green style mountain oolongs from Taiwan that remind me of opening a bale of fine quality hay on a warm summer's day, or walking through a late summer meadow, a warmth that is not toasted, or sweet, or grassy--but like hay. Is this what others refer to as 'buttery', perhaps? By any name, it's delicious.
Brent D

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Having some 2013 half handmade shui Xian yancha from eot.
So smooth and well balanced. It’s so easy to just enjoy the overall profile of this tea. I have to really concentrate to focus on any one particular charecteristic of this tea. Has aged very well. I received this second hand. Wish I could have tried when new.
iGo

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Drinking Xiamen Lao Cong Shui Xian while traveling. As good as an industrial yancha as I've had.