Kagoshima Tea Farmers Tasting in Los Angeles, December 9th

Victoria
Admin

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Special LA event announcement: 22 tea farmers from Kagoshima are in Los Angeles and will be sharing their teas in a special tasting at the Brentwood Farmers Market this Sunday December 9th, from 9am-2pm. The Kagoshima Tea Farmers Association has organized this Tea Tasting Event. Brentwood Farmers Market, 741 Gretna Green Way, Los Angeles, CA 90049.

http://www.kentreeintl.com/kagoshimagreentea.html
Victoria
Admin

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:52 pm

I will be speaking to the 22 Kagoshima tea farmers this Thursday. Still thinking about the focus of my talk; it will include a conversation about the ‘culture of tea’ as a wholistic approach to tea, teaware, history and culture. They want to know what American think of Japanese tea. Any thoughts on this, and or any questions you would like to ask them?
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Victoria wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:52 pm
I will be speaking to the 22 Kagoshima tea farmers this Thursday. Still thinking about the focus of my talk; it will include a conversation about the ‘culture of tea’ as a wholistic approach to tea, teaware, history and culture. They want to know what American think of Japanese tea. Any thoughts on this, and or any questions you would like to ask them?
I think when most Americans think of Japanese tea they think of three things:
1. Matcha
2. "Green tea" (typically sencha)
3. Genmaicha

I think Japan could really benefit itself by diversifying and popularizing other types of tea preparations, particularly in the non-green categories. Would love to hear their thoughts on this and any efforts they may already be taking.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks for your input @chofmann :)
d.manuk

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 pm

I’d love to try a hand picked/processes green tea rather than the typical machine shredded sencha. I think the processing makes the brew a lot more bitter than it needs to be.
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 pm

I'll throw a couple more in.

1. Tillerman posted an interesting article recently about the appellation of various Taiwanese oolongs, but how do the kagoshima farmers feel about a similar process toward Matcha? There is currently (to my knowledge) no (enforced) system separating different types of matcha from any ground tea, Japanese or otherwise. How do they feel about cheaper matcha and even the new fad of creating instant matcha that you just pour into a water bottle and shake up? Are they happy to see imitators and innovation (and things like Starbucks Matcha latte), or angry that it dilutes from the quality, real matcha?

2. Being from Kagoshima, what do they want to be recognized for the most? Quality Sencha / Fukamushi? Other types of tea? Similarly, what are they very proud of that they feel isn't discussed enough outside of Kagoshima / Japan?

3. What do they feel is the most important step and/or hardest step to perfect in the tea making process? If they wanted to make the absolute best tea, no matter what the price or volume, what would they do differently?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 am

Thank you, great questions to ask. I will report back.
Elise

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 am

Victoria wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 am
Thank you, great questions to ask. I will report back.
Can’t wait to read the report :)