Six Famous Tea Mountains (6FTM) Questions

Puerh and other heicha
pedant
Admin

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:01 pm

do 6FTM blends often resemble each other, like how Yiwu teas usually have a common profile?

i just realized that there is a Six Famous Tea Mountain Factory (reference here).
has anyone tried tea from 6FTM factory?

are other teas labeled as 6FTM sometimes connected to 6FTM factory (e.g. using a recipe made/inspired by them)?

thanks
EarthMonkey

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:44 pm

do 6FTM blends often resemble each other--
If you're talking about the factory, yes. Most of their productions if not specified otherwise are from the same area of Lincang, Fengqing. The Fengqing and Daxue profile stand in contrast to the Bingdao/Bangdong profile. Yiwu is a terroir, whereas 6FTM is just an old-school factory. They do have productions from Yiwu, but none I've tasted. The word is that after '06 or so their productions have really fallen off. Dunno.

My attention has been most totally on their Lunar Series, though I do have an '04 tuo which bears a milder Fengqing signature. There are some Tulin productions with a similarly robust taste, though their material comes from Dali, Wuliang. You might look into their '07 T868. There is also a Fengqing TF, which has some famous productions and Mengku Rongshi is in the same area. I have an '06 from Daxueshan which is quite nice. The edges on their productions are considerably more refined than any of the aforementioned factories, which suits me best.
are other teas labeled as 6FTM sometimes connected to 6FTM factory (e.g. using a recipe made/inspired by them)?
6FTM is an official title conferred by a Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) magistrate in the 19th-c. It references the Yiwu terrior, Gedeng, Yibang, Yiwu Zhengshan and so on. It has no bearing on the factory, which is in Lincang, Fengqing. There are two v. distinct profiles from Lincang: baqi/aggressive and rouqi/genteel. Easily the most famous production from Lincang is Bingdao and next Xigui, if price is any indication. These are decidedly in the genteel category.
Last edited by pedant on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: expanded quote for ease of reading
pedant
Admin

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:50 pm

thank you
TeaZero

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm

pedant wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:01 pm
i just realized that there is a Six Famous Tea Mountain Factory (reference here).
has anyone tried tea from 6FTM factory?
Six Famous Mountain Factory is just a name of a factory that produces tea cakes from different mountains. I'd a Yibang one from Teasenz, which was really good and well aged. I understand that this factory isn't as successful today relative to the other factories.