What Oolong Are You Drinking

Semi-oxidized tea
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

I have not tasted minerals when drinking FSS, nor any of the tea that I have from Taiwan now.

Maybe a hint is there but I don't catch it.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm
I have not tasted minerals when drinking FSS, nor any of the tea that I have from Taiwan now.

Maybe a hint is there but I don't catch it.
I concur, Ethan. Minerality is not something that ever came to mind when drinking Oolongs from Taiwan. Even the Yan yun oolong that HY Chen made, did not make me think of it... Real Yancha yes, very obvious.
d.manuk

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 pm

It was a little like Pelegrino sparkling water but with no bubbles?
That kind of minerality.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:19 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 pm
It was a little like Pelegrino sparkling water but with no bubbles?
That kind of minerality.
Yes that is the kind of minerality I experience also.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

In heaven sipping on my last few grams of Te Company’s Honeyed Evergreen 30% oxidized, medium roast, Qingxin cultivar from Ali Shan, Chiayi County. Baked over logan charcoal, this oolong has an explosion of multi-layered aromas and flavors. Deep evergreen notes in every steep, like sweet pine, with notes of stone fruit and fig. Unfortunately Elena doesn’t seem to have anymore in stock. I know it’s funny for me to buy Taiwan oolong from NYC, being that I’m in California, but Elena has top quality oolongs from Taiwan. She even meet HY Chen in Nantou after I made an introduction, unfortunately for her he wasn’t interested in doing wholesale at the time. I steeped this oolong in a beautifully crafted 70ml Green Lable TuHong ShuiPing aquired from EoT. It is zisha, coated with a layer of hongni inside and out, I think it’s called Neiwailinghong. A perfect pairing. As the leaves expand and take up more room the liquor gets down to just 20ml, but oh so rich.
luchayi

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:44 am

Alishan oolong from qingxin cultivar can be really powerful...I really like these teas. It's funny to taste the same leaves with a different oxidation.. 5%, 15%, 30%, 70%... the taste is really varoius.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Victoria wrote:
notes in every steep, like sweet pine, with notes of stone fruit and fig. Unfortunately Elena doesn’t seem to have anymore in stock. I know it’s funny for me to buy Taiwan oolong from NYC, being that I’m in California,
The purchase seems quite wise to me. To get the flavors you list coming through is uncommon for a roasted oolong. Sometimes a vendor has something we do not find elsewhere & even if we pay a lot for it, we are less likely to regret buying it than we are to regret not buying a little & never finding that specific pleasure again. Cheers
Last edited by Victoria on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: corrected quotation brackets
debunix

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Hawaiian oolong from Hilo Coffee Mill: terrific stuff--this is a 'little goes a long way' tea, fruity, spicy, floral, earthy, terrific. I drink it sparingly because it quite pricey, and often not available, but oh so very very good.

Enjoying it from Petr's treebark pot and Petr's shino chawan. Mmmmm.
pedant
Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm

tea-side AAA dongfang meiren from thailand. wonderful stuff.
IMG_20181015_131950.jpg
IMG_20181015_131950.jpg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm

pedant wrote:

IMG_20181015_131950.jpg
Hi pedant, I'm going to borrow your moniker and be pedantic: dongfang meiren (or oriental beauty) is made only in Taiwan. The Thais and others certainly make tea in the style of DFMR (OB) but it is neither dongfang meiren nor oriental beauty. Similarly, puer is the name for a type of heicha from China: Vietnam and elsewhere produce puer style for sure but it isn't puer; dancong is only from Chaozhou, Champagne is only from France, Porto is only from the Douro etc. OK, you can have your name back now.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Victoria wrote:
In heaven sipping on my last few grams of Te Company’s Honeyed Evergreen 30% oxidized, medium roast, Qingxin cultivar from Ali Shan, Chiayi County. Baked over logan charcoal, this oolong has an explosion of multi-layered aromas and flavors. Deep evergreen notes in every steep, like sweet pine, with notes of stone fruit and fig. Unfortunately Elena doesn’t seem to have anymore in stock. I know it’s funny for me to buy Taiwan oolong from NYC, being that I’m in California, but Elena has top quality oolongs from Taiwan. She even meet HY Chen in Nantou after I made an introduction, unfortunately for her he wasn’t interested in doing wholesale at the time. I steeped this oolong in a beautifully crafted 70ml Green Lable TuHong ShuiPing aquired from EoT. It is zisha, coated with a layer of hongni inside and out, I think it’s called Neiwailinghong. A perfect pairing. As the leaves expand and take up more room the liquor gets down to just 20ml, but oh so rich.
I almost never drink oolong but your reviews peek my interest. The pine aspect of this one in particular
Sounds interesting so it’s definitely a shame she’s sold out.
pedant
Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm
pedant wrote:

IMG_20181015_131950.jpg
Hi pedant, I'm going to borrow your moniker and be pedantic: dongfang meiren (or oriental beauty) is made only in Taiwan. The Thais and others certainly make tea in the style of DFMR (OB) but it is neither dongfang meiren nor oriental beauty. Similarly, puer is the name for a type of heicha from China: Vietnam and elsewhere produce puer style for sure but it isn't puer; dancong is only from Chaozhou, Champagne is only from France, Porto is only from the Douro etc. OK, you can have your name back now.
:lol:

i tend to agree with you regarding respect of protected designation of origin (DPO), but i would say that most people do not except where required by law.

and while i respect that DFMR is a taiwanese invention, i am not aware of its DPO status, and certainly not one rivaling the example of champagne. similarly, i am not aware of precedent (legal or otherwise) that pizza be so called only when it's from italy.

am i wrong?
Bok
Vendor

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I dare say Italians will disagree, only Pizza from Naples is Pizza! :)
pedant
Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 pm
I dare say Italians will disagree, only Pizza from Naples is Pizza! :)
lol. my favorite kind.
i got an oven from italy to make my own neapolitan-style pizza.

who's coming to the next pizza party??
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Would love to try your beautiful pizza pedant. Yumm :) and that Thai oolong sounds nice too.
Since you have a pizza oven, you are probably an expert pizza historian, as I understand it -Pizza as we know it comes from Naples, although variations of it are over 2,000 years old using flat breads, focaccia etc. with different toppings. In Naples there is the ‘pizza police’, if you want to call it a Neapolitana it has to be correctly made to specifications.

Meanwhile, I do appreciate when a tea’s naming includes a reference to its geographical origin or appellation. Makes identification and knowing something about the tea much easier and quicker. Like; Pu’erh only from Yunnan, Darjeeling from Darjeeling, DongDing from DongDing, LiShan from LiShan, etc.