Introduce Yourself

brlarson
New user

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 am

Hello again TeaFolk!

How long have you been drinking tea?
I've been drinking tea seriously for about twelve years. I switched from coffee to tea when Starbucks introduced Pikes Place.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Gradually have gravitated from rock tea in the morning with Japanese greens in the afternoon to Japanese greens almost all of the time.
I have a small collection of rock teas from The Mandarin (including some triple stamp!) and dancong from TeaHabitat that I brew on special occasions and for special friends.

How do you prepare your tea?
Gong fu style in Yixing or Chou Zhou or porcelean for Oolong. Kyusu and hobin for sencha and gyokuro, always the hobin when brewing the best teas. I use a gaiwan for all non-Japanese tea experiments.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
I've been so busy for the last four or five years that I haven't had the mind-space to try new things but I'm ready to explore again.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I love how I feel when I drink tea. I love that it wakes you in the morning by gradually stimulating your senses.

What is your location?
I am still south of Boston, which hosted America's first Tea Party.
pedant
Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Welcome!
luchayi

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:48 am

Hi!
I am an italian tea lover an co-founder of the free italian tea magazine Fogliditè.
I love chinese and taiwanese teas. I share my tea tastings on my own instagram and facebook page called luchayi. Now I am happy to have the possibility to share the tea I like also here.
Attachments
20180630_173531.jpg
20180630_173531.jpg (377.5 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
Bok
Vendor

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:15 am

Benvenuto!
luchayi

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Bok wrote:
Benvenuto!
Grazie! Bok are u italian?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 pm

luchayi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:42 pm
Bok wrote:
Benvenuto!
Grazie! Bok are u italian?
No ;) just know a few words...
vk2109

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello just joined today !!
I live in NYC and mostly found of matcha and sencha !!!
I started a little acct on IG https://www.instagram.com/the_and_cha/

my fav tea bowl !
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 am

vk2109 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 pm
Hello just joined today !!
I live in NYC and mostly found of matcha and sencha !!!
I started a little acct on IG https://www.instagram.com/the_and_cha/

my fav tea bowl !
Welcome to TeaForum, lots of Japanese tea drinkers and collectors here.
Flavor Hedonist

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 am

I've began drinking real loose leaf tea for about 4 years when a client gifted my family with some chinese greens and some shou puerh. However, I've been drinking tea seriously for about 2 years now.

My go-to teas are Anxi Oolongs, Taiwanese Gaoshan Oolongs, Shou Puerh and Sheng Puerhs. Lately, I've been delving into the world of Indian Teas and have been drinking some high quality Assams, Darjeelings and some Nilgiris.

While I prefer to gongfu most of the time, I brew western style in the morning (if I'm not feeling coffee) and grandpa style when I'm working. I gongfu as much as I can though.

Right now, I'm interested in two things. I want to explore Japanese teas and I want to delve deeper in Sheng Puerhs particularly gushus.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

My father has a company that deals with many Chinese businessmen and they sometimes gift us with green tea and shou puerh. That got me started into drinking the occasional cup of tea. However, I wasn't really serious back then and I was busy exploring the world of specialty coffee. Two years later, my coffee consumption was reaching dangerous levels and it clearly affected my body clock and I couldn't sleep properly anymore. That's when I decided to replace my lunch time coffee and afternoon coffee with tea. Transitioning into tea helped my body clock and took away the crash that plagued me back in my coffee days. What kept me into tea is the variety of flavors. There are so many types of teas and that satisfies the adventurous foodie in me.

What is your location?

Metro Manila, Philippines
Kiltedninja21

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm

For about 10 years, but I've only gotten into gong fu within the last year

Mainly oolong and pu'er. More specifically I love sheng pu'er. I also have a soft spot for Assam.

When I started I was solely drinking tea western style, but ever since I learned about gong fu cha, I tend to prepare almost all of my tea gong fu style. I still prepare teas like english breakfast and assam western style however.

I'd like to refine my taste for the subtleties in whichever tea I'm drinking. I'd also like to enhance my brewing techniques to really bring out the best qualities in my favorite teas

To be quite honest, I think Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender is what got me into tea. He was always my favorite character, and I was quite young when the show first aired, so naturally I wanted to emulate him. When I went to college, the town where I went to school has a Dobra. They used to brew mostly in the western style, but they have recently changed to emphasize gong fu style. That's what really opened my eyes to the that aspect of tea brewing. As for what's keeping me in the world of tea, it's probably the technique aspect of gong fu cha. I've always loved anything that requires dedication and training to really master, so enhancing my technique really keeps the whole tea world interesting to me.

What is your location?

I live in Vermont
TeaSensei001
New user

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Hello!
I’ve been looking for a site like this!!
My interests are: tea, anime, animals, cooking, & tea!

Loose leaf? Hmmm....for about 4 years. I’m a noob?

Mostly flavored teas. Green, black, herbal, oblongs.
Though I drink gyokuro tea straight.

Western.

Gongfu brewing & Kyusus(Japanese teapots)

A family friend got me into this & I love it.
A bonus is you make friends loving the same thing!!

What is your location?
Sunny SoCal
oolong_apprentice
New user

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 am

Hi Everyone!

Just like to say hi, and that it's great for me to find this forum.

For as long as I can remember (I was born and raised in Taiwan). Having said that, I did not really have any tea that “touched” me until around a year ago. I was in a well-known tea shop in Taipei when I tried their High Mountain oolong tea and Oriental Beauty. I was blown away, and since then, I have been eagerly finding out more about Taiwan’s premium oolong teas.

My favorite type of tea is Taiwan’s oolong tea. Hot brewed - Tung Ting oolong, cold-brewed - BaoZhong Oolong.
Before getting into tea, my favorite was Pu-erhs. But now I am more concerned with tea’s origins and safety issues (as well as authenticity), I feel that I need to find out more about Pu-erhs before drinking more of it.

I prepare it different ways – depending on my how much time I have, my mood, and my intention regarding the tea. If I am trying a new tea for the first time (and I have time), I prepare it the Gong-fu style. But I also prepare my nice tea by brewing it longer, and I can sip as I I work or read a book. I intend to spend some time experimenting with brewing ... as tea drinkers, we play an important role in bringing out the wonderful flavors of any premium tea.

During the summer, I really enjoy having cold-brew tea.

I am still finding out more about Taiwan’s oolong tea. At the same time, I am expanding my knowledge in Chinese oolong teas and Pu-erhs.

Health reasons is one reason why I delved into tea. Another reason is because, there are now so many so-called “teas” that no longer seem like tea (combined with candies, chocolates, coffee, and many other flavoring additives), that I wanted to go back and confirm what “tea” really is. Now that I know how wonderful pure good tea leaves can taste, I want to help more “tea drinkers” realize this. I started an online tea store, and specialize in Taiwan premium oolong tea. Our mission is to help tea drinkers in the U.S. understand how wonderful Taiwan oolong teas can be.

What is your location?
I live in Bellingham, Washington.
pedant
Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:35 am

welcome friends!
marksayles
New user

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi everyone! Finally got around to joining this forum...

Western style - as long as I can remember (more than 30 years). Gong fu cha - since I met my wife.

lu cha in the mornings, bai cha in the afternoon, sheng pu'er all day long, hong cha when I'm feeling even slightly unwell, hei cha when it's really cold outside, shou pu'er if I'm desperate and have nothing else.

Gong fu style in yixing teapot, except for green tea - which I always make in a glass grandpa style.

History, cultural aspects, cultivation of camellia sinensis, and processing of raw tea.

The rich history and culture around tea, the huge variety of tea to explore, and the great friendships which come from a shared enjoyment of tea.

What is your location?
West Lafayette, Indiana.
debunix

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Welcome!