Fushoushan: The Farm, The Tea and The Impostors

Tillerman
Vendor

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Fushoushan is a tea often discussed in these pages. particularly on the Oolong tea threads. Yet there seems to be far more teas claiming the name Foushoushan than the farm produces so I decided to tale a look at some of the truth and myth surrounding this special tea. https://tillermantea.net/2018/08/fushoushan/
Bok
Vendor

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:53 am

Tillerman wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:50 pm
Fushoushan is a tea often discussed in these pages. particularly on the Oolong tea threads. Yet there seems to be far more teas claiming the name Foushoushan than the farm produces so I decided to tale a look at some of the truth and myth surrounding this special tea. https://tillermantea.net/2018/08/fushoushan/
Nice one! I was looking forward to this one.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 am

Tillerman certainly does a lot of work. Let me add my thanks to Bok's gratitude to this member of the forum for his contributions.

The FSS blog leads me to reveal how I obtained my small stash of Foushoushan. For a couple of years I have asked my main source for tea to put me on its list of those with whom it would share its allotment of FSS. I was not added to the list; however, when I was there in person once, I was offered a taste of FSS & told that I could buy 150 grams at a very high price. I did not make a purchase.

About 1 1/2 years after that I was offered an opportunity to buy some FSS at a lower price. It had never been picked up by someone on the list; so, I was offered it at a price lower than my first opportunity to buy FSS. I bought 600 grams & sold 2 or 3 packets of 50 grams here on TeaForum at a low price (relatively). Now I have come to appreciate the situation: I will never get another chance to buy FSS at such a price again; &, I may never even get a chance to buy real FSS from my source again. (I am still not on that FSS list.) So, I keep the rest of my FSS stash for myself.

This FSS & other green gaoshan does not get hurt by time when it is stored unopened in my refrigerator. When I do open any pack of unroasted or not significantly oxidized tea, I do try to finish such tea within 2 or 3 weeks. Ten days after opening I already notice some loss of flavor.

I also repeat that as special as the FSS & some Dayuling that I have are, I have medium priced gaoshan that is definitely good enough. Nothing is wrong with it at all. (So, I call it Perfect.) I am not operating my website, but if I offer teas on this forum again, I think I will put together a package that forces buyers (if there are any, perhaps there will be none) to get a bit of the top quality & medium quality so comparisons will be made.

Thanks again, Tillerman. Cheers
Brent D

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Great read!
I have had the pleasure of trying pretty much all the teas talked about so far. I must concur that Tillerman is more of a connoisseur that sells teas than a tea seller that likes tea. Everything I have tried from him (I think thats everything he offers :D) has been absolutely top notch. I would strongly suggest that everyone try his Gaoshan offerings. His Dong Ding is tough to beat for the price as well.
I have also tried Ethans "Perfect". I keep this at work. It is different than the Lishans that we all love and pay premiums for, but check out the price and well...horseshoes and hand grenades :lol:
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you, good information to know. If what I am buying is cultivated in an adjacent terrain to FuShoushan government site, several hundred feet down, and is the right cultivar, this seems okay to me. It just could be identified as FuShouShan adjacent. I love the longevity of steeps possible, due to its thick leaves, and find later steeps more enjoyable and richer than earlier ones.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Brent, thank you for the very kind comments. Cheers, D.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Just walked past this and snapped a shot, obviously they have the real deal ;)
Attachments
87BBAB5B-9292-496B-9F7D-EEF146B7DD62.jpeg
87BBAB5B-9292-496B-9F7D-EEF146B7DD62.jpeg (287.21 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Tillerman
Vendor

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 pm
Just walked past this and snapped a shot, obviously they have the real deal ;)
Clearly so!