Show Off Your Teaware Displays

Victoria
Admin

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 pm

This is the Show Off Your Teaware Display. Share how you Display and Arrange your wares.

I decided to come out of the closet with most of my pots, so that I could enjoy seeing them. Only problem, I didn't get a glass enclosed display cabinet, I got very modern open shelves from Spain made by Treku. My cleaning lady tends to break things so I needed to come up with a solution. I happen to have several of those Japanese boxes used to store tea sets and since they can be closed before she comes, I thought ok perfect solution. Chinese pots displayed on the red cabinet get put into a special cushioned box.

Pots are arranged into several small vignettes around the living area. I have enjoyed mixing elements and scales, as well as introducing incongruous items into the compositions.
L1000411_sm.jpg
L1000411_sm.jpg (441.81 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
L1000386 copy_sm.jpg
L1000386 copy_sm.jpg (489.44 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
IMG_2128_sm.jpg
IMG_2128_sm.jpg (255.97 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
IMG_2140 copy_sm.jpg
IMG_2140 copy_sm.jpg (238.77 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
L1000432_2_sm.jpg
L1000432_2_sm.jpg (307.04 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
afternoon light4_1sm.jpg
afternoon light4_1sm.jpg (270.58 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
L1000167_sm1.jpg
L1000167_sm1.jpg (267.78 KiB) Viewed 13751 times
CWarren

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 am

Victoria wrote:
This is the Show Off Your Pots Topic. Share how you store and display your wares.

I decided to come out of the closet with most of my pots, so that I could enjoy seeing them. Only problem, I didn't get a glassed enclosed display cabinet, I got very modern open shelves from Spain made by Treku. My cleaning lady tends to break things so I needed to come up with a solution. I happen to have several of those Japanese boxes used to store tea sets and since they can be closed before she comes, I thought ok perfect solution. Chinese pots displayed on the red cabinet get put into a special cushioned box.

Pots are arranged into several small vignettes around the living area. I have enjoyed mixing elements and scales, as well as introducing incongruous items into the compositions.

That’s a really great idea and a very artistic way of presentation. It’s a shame you have to worry about the safety of your wares though. I think I’d be hiring a new cleaner if it became a habit especially with the beautiful collection you possess.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm

CWarren wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 am
Victoria wrote:
This is the Show Off Your Pots Topic. Share how you store and display your wares.

I decided to come out of the closet with most of my pots, so that I could enjoy seeing them. Only problem, I didn't get a glassed enclosed display cabinet, I got very modern open shelves from Spain made by Treku. My cleaning lady tends to break things so I needed to come up with a solution. I happen to have several of those Japanese boxes used to store tea sets and since they can be closed before she comes, I thought ok perfect solution. Chinese pots displayed on the red cabinet get put into a special cushioned box.

That’s a really great idea and a very artistic way of presentation. It’s a shame you have to worry about the safety of your wares though. I think I’d be hiring a new cleaner if it became a habit especially with the beautiful collection you possess.
Thanks much appreciated. It's very easy to close the Japanese boxes. I'm thinking of getting, or making, a few glass boxes so I don't need to move certain pots. The ones that are located lower on the credenzas might end up being problematic if say; children, cats, accident prone visitors engage those surfaces :o ...Also, I should probably be thinking a little more seriously about earthquake proofing here in California :(
lac63

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 am

What a wonderful presentation.

Congratulations

Lluis Abad
pedant
Admin

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:19 am

over the weekend, i got two more glass shelves cut for my cabinet.. i was running out of room :oops:

Victoria
Admin

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Great collection you’ve got going on. I’d stay at your place just to try out some of those pots and cups :) Is that a Masaki Tachi shigaraki clay kyusu? Does it sweat when you use it? Smallest shuiping size is 45ml? Thanks for posting.
pedant
Admin

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:46 pm

yes, shigaraki pot from hojo. doesn't sweat when i use it

yes, F1 fangyuan 45mL SP in front. behind it is a late 60s 65mL, and behind that is another fangyuan (80mL)
Teatog

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Very nice collection guys! I don't feel so bad for having owned more than 3 teapots :lol:

I'm surprised though to see very few teapots from Hojo. The guy constantly has some new types of magical clay that I want to try :D

@ Victoria, I'm curious on the brew quality of that white clay teapot you have. Any detrimental or enhancement effect?
Victoria
Admin

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Teatog wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pm
Very nice collection guys! I don't feel so bad for having owned more than 3 teapots :lol:

I'm surprised though to see very few teapots from Hojo. The guy constantly has some new types of magical clay that I want to try :D

@ Victoria, I'm curious on the brew quality of that white clay teapot you have. Any detrimental or enhancement effect?
I see several Hojo pots in Pedant’s display maybe, Shimizu Ken, Masaki Tachi...a few others, maybe 4 or 5?
My Hojo pots weren’t on display at the time, (I have other pots in the closet too :) ) but I have 2 Shimizu Ken red clay pots. Use them for greener oolongs.

Regarding my very old and very fine white clay mogake Tokoname pot, I use it for sencha only. Not sure if it has any effect though on tea taste, other than to ‘not detract’ from flavors, maybe it has a brightening effect, but that might be a visual transference. The clay pot is very fine grained, not slick, very very slightly smooth grainy to the touch, it is the finest grain I have touched in a pot so far. The lid is perfect fit, the pour excellent as well, and it has a pleasant weight. My empty vessel avatar is the yuzamashi from the set. I found it at a Japanese antiquities sale and was moved aesthetically. So much of Tokoname Ware is about the aesthetic experience. This may be the biggest ‘effect’ on tea experience.
Teatog

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Victoria, the most recognizable one to me is the Shigaraki on the front, but now that you mentioned it, I can see the whole middle row is full of Hojo pieces :P (possibly 8 there).

The reason I asked about the white clay teapot is because I just got my dream Konishi Yohei pot, and it's also a white clay one. Talking to Akira back then, he mentioned that this kind of clay is actually no good for brewing tea. I guess we'll see. Still washing the pot right now. It has a very interesting constant bubbling behavior inside the pot that I haven't seen before. It's strong enough to move the cap up and down. I imagine that would be good for mixing the tea up in hot water. Will take some pics to show it off.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Teatog wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:33 pm
Victoria, the most recognizable one to me is the Shigaraki on the front, but now that you mentioned it, I can see the whole middle row is full of Hojo pieces :P (possibly 8 there).

The reason I asked about the white clay teapot is because I just got my dream Konoshi Yohei pot, and it's also a white clay one. Talking to Akira back then, he mentioned that this kind of clay is actually no good for brewing tea. I guess we'll see. Still washing the pot right now. It has a very interesting constant bubbling behavior inside the pot that I haven't seen before. It's strong enough to move the cap up and down. I imagine that would be good for mixing the tea up in hot water. Will take some pics to show it off.
I’m sure Mr Konoshi Yohei would not make kyusu out of clay that is not good for tea. He is a very skilled craftsman and enjoys exploring different clays around Tokoname. Love the sculpture garden around his workshop. My white clay kyusu works well with sencha, no negative effects.
Teatog

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Tokoname Rihi Mogake Teapot by Konishi Yohei
Attachments
_DSC7338-Edit.JPG
_DSC7338-Edit.JPG (291.32 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
Victoria
Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Teatog wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 pm
Tokoname Rihi Mogake Teapot by Konishi Yohei
A beauty, stunning. It deserves a post in Teaware/ Ode to the Kyusu.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

Very beautiful kyusu, mogake is one of my faves.
debunix

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Stunning pot, stunning image.