Leafy Green Tea

Vendor news and self-promotion
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 am

Hi all,

My wife owns and operates Leafy Green, a direct trade importer of ethically sourced loose leaf teas. You can find us here: www.leafygreentea.com

At Leafy Green, we work directly with single estate farms and producers across Asia to ensure that we source ecologically sustainable products while stimulating the livelihood of our growers and their communities. We work with our farmers to select small lots of leaves that can be traced directly to their source. Our method of sourcing merits us the ability of ensuring the exact location of our leaves, the conditions that our leaves are grown under, the quality of those leaves, and the preservation of fair and equitable trade with our growers.

From our farms to your kettles, we thrive to bring you the freshest of ethically sourced teas at an affordable price.

We are just starting out, but have already heard from many customers that it is the best tasting tea they've ever had. I hope you all try it out because I would love your feedback as well!

I created a special code just for Tea Forum members: Use code TEAFORUM10 for 10% off your order from now until the end of the year. Enjoy!

Also, I'm always looking for feedback. What do you like / dislike about the website? What made you want to buy or not buy something? I have a lot of confidence in the quality vs. price point of our teas and expect you'll agree if you try them!
Hand-Rolled Jasmine Pearls. One of our best sellers!
Hand-Rolled Jasmine Pearls. One of our best sellers!
Jasmine.JPG (31.73 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Last edited by chofmann on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Hey all,

We have some big updates coming soon, but I wanted to take this time to highlight that we were just quoted in a Popsugar article (https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Green- ... e-44513177).

The subject was a bit different than usual and discussed some of the potential negative health effects of drinking tea.

We personally don't like talking about health effects one way or the other since the science is hazy at best right now, but we thought we could help provide some reasonable points and caveat things where appropriate.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Chris
chofmann
Vendor

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

As promised, big update at our website! I appreciate everybody taking the time to read this and visiting our site.

1. Shipping Cut by 50% - We have reduced all shipping from a flat $10 to a flat $5 (US only). Orders over $49 continue to receive free shipping.

2. New Website Content - We have updated the website quite a bit with a new home page, new pictures throughout, and more info in the 'About Us' section. We have also added 1 ounce options for all our teas (previously only 2 ounce options). We continue to make more improvements, including more photos of the tea leaves, dry and wet.

3. New Teas - Last but certainly not least, we have three new Oolong teas on our site. They all come from a 100-year farm in the Lugu, Nantou area of Taiwan that we are very excited to work with. We have worked very hard to keep our prices as low as possible on these teas so that the majority of the price goes back to the farmer himself. We are only starting with 3 teas from this farmer (Alishan Jin Xuan, Dong Ding Heavy Roast, Dong Ding Light Roast), but are fully expecting to grow the relationship as we grow our business.

Additionally, we have recently ordered some high quality whole-flower chrysanthemum and chamomile 'teas' for our herbal / decaf clients. We should have them on the website in a couple more weeks. After these teas, we likely won't be adding anything new until after our trip to Asia in May/June.

As a reminder, we just launched in November and fully expect to make a bunch of mistakes along the way (and we admittedly have already).

As always - We greatly appreciate you taking the time to read this and visit the site and any / all feedback you can provide. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me here or my wife through the 'contact us' on the site.
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 am

Special deal exclusively for our TeaForum friends!

We know how much you all love delicious teas, so we wanted to give everybody here an opportunity to try, what we believe, are our best teas!

What is the deal?
Receive up to three sample packages (7-10 grams each) of any of our Oolong teas (Heavy Roast Dong Ding, Light Roast Dong Ding, Alishan Jinxuan), delivered to your home in 2-3 business days for the low low price of $5 total (including shipping).

We are essentially giving you the tea for free, you're just covering the shipping charge.

Any Restrictions?
US only (sorry international friends!)
Must order prior to March 15, 2018.
As stated above, no more than 3 teas can be used for this. If you add 4+ to the order, we will reach out to you to clarify.
We reserve the right to extend or cancel at anytime as supply / demand permits.

Can I do other Teas?
Certainly! Just add them to the cart (instructions below), but we like our Oolongs best. The greener teas will be much better / fresher after our month long China trip in May/June.

Why aren't you pushing the Green teas to clean out your inventory before the new Spring season?
Because we don't care about cleaning out inventory, we care about giving you the best tea experience we can offer.

I've read this far... How do I participate?
Go to our website: www.leafygreentea.com
Select the teas you want, in any size.
Checkout with the code: TEAFORUM
Enjoy delicious tea!

(Note: If you use the code, we will automatically downgrade you to the sample size. You will not be receiving 1 ounce or 2 ounce bags).

For more information on us, our company, or our teas:
Check out our website
Follow us on instagram: LeafyGreen_Tea
Read this great review from TeaForum's own The Mellified Cup: https://themellifiedcup.wordpress.com/2 ... green-tea/

Anything Else?
Nope, that is it! But if you'd want to give us feedback on the teas, our site, or anything else, we'd love to hear from you! If it is positive feedback, leave it here. If it is negative... perhaps do it privately ;) :lol:
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks to all those who have taken advantage of this deal so far!

Just a reminder to the rest that it does end this Thursday the 15th! Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to get some very very high quality oolongs for essentially free.

Others have used their sleuthing skills to figure out what farm they are coming from (one oft discussed on this forum), and we hope to be able to announce it publicly very soon.

Happy Steepings!
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 pm

chofmann wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 am
Thanks to all those who have taken advantage of this deal so far!

Just a reminder to the rest that it does end this Thursday the 15th! Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to get some very very high quality oolongs for essentially free.

Others have used their sleuthing skills to figure out what farm they are coming from (one oft discussed on this forum), and we hope to be able to announce it publicly very soon.

Happy Steepings!
We are very excited to state that we can now reveal that the farm is Hau Ying Chen's. Like many people here, we personally believe that his Oolongs represent some of the very best Taiwan has to offer, in particular his Dong Ding roasted Oolongs.

We have created a unique partnership with Chen that allows us to sell his teas at very reasonable prices, often at the same price as he sells them traditionally (but with cheaper and faster shipping).

We will be updating our website over the coming days to reflect that we are working with Chen, and releasing a new transparency section in the next 1-2 weeks highlighting how our teas are 30%-50% cheaper than industry standards through a combination of reduced margins and lower overhead.

We have extended the previously discussed Tea Forum deal for 24 more hours! It now expires Friday evening (March 16th) at midnight ET. Many people here have already taken advantage of this deal - I hope you are enjoying your teas!
Last edited by chofmann on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Congratulations, you pick a great guy to partner with :)
chofmann
Vendor

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:03 pm
Congratulations, you pick a great guy to partner with :)
Thanks! We are very excited about the relationship and hope it continues for many years. We are starting with just a small selection for now, but are hoping to expand sooner rather than later as our company grows.

Shan Lan Xi is probably next on the list, but we're open to suggestions :)
chofmann
Vendor

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 pm

And the deal.... is.... DONE!

Thanks to everybody who participated. Most of you should have already received your tea, with a few more in the mail or going out tomorrow (all depends on when you ordered, of course).

We really hope that you enjoy the tea as much as we do. We would greatly appreciate any feedback as well as your future business (I mean, we did just give you essentially free tea!)

More exciting things coming in the future and we'll be sure to post here about it as it all happens.

Happy Steepings!
Brent D

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Oy!
Bummed this got by me.
Posting for update notification:)
chofmann
Vendor

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Brent D wrote:
Oy!
Bummed this got by me.
Sorry! We unfortunately can't give out free tea forever :(

I'll do my best to keep everything updated here, but (just to be safe) you should also sign up to the email list on our website if you haven't already.

As I mentioned above, we are looking to expand our offerings both with HY Chen and more broadly over the coming weeks and months, so definitely keep an eye out!
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Not sure if this is ok to post outside of the vendor section, so I'll keep it here for now. We recently did a little mini-series on Instagram all about Dong Ding Oolong. I've summarized it below, with a link to Instagram for corresponding pictures:

Dong Ding tea is traditionally made from the Green Heart Cultivar by picking one half-opened leaf with a second fully opened leaf. Due to the thickness of the Green Heart Cultivar, the leaves can last for several steeps. The leaves are oxidized about 25-35% and rolled into a ball. The tea is then roasted over longan charcoal wood several times with rests in between.

Dong Ding Oolong is known for its strong throat feel and is brewed to optimize this characteristic. A good Dong Ding should be sweet, pure, smooth, thick, and fragrant. Many farmers accelerate the process to create a ‘greener’ Dong Ding which requires significantly less labor and is often more preferred in China (since it is greener).

By allowing aphids to bite the leaves and promptly picking before it rains, the tea leaves will have an extra honeyed aroma and flavor. However, this also reduces the overall yield, decreasing supply and increasing price. The use of pesticides will prevent these bug bites, which is why the highest quality Dong Ding teas are always organic.

Generally teas from the green heart cultivar are thick with leather like texture and sheen. The leaves are packed with flavour, which allows multiple steeps without loosing it’s flavor.

Additionally, true Dong Ding oolongs have very little (or no) bitterness and astringency, creating a delicious brew. Spring harvests tend to be a bit more ‘bright’ in flavor, whereas winter harvests have a more ‘mellow’ sweetness.

For pictures of the process, including a 100-year old tea tree, check out our instagram here (first picture linked, scroll left (more recent) for more pictures.... EDIT: Woah, that link brought up Instagram directly... fancy):
chofmann
Vendor

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Brent D wrote:
Oy!
Bummed this got by me.
We have officially added sample boxes to our website. Oolong, Green, Herbal, or even the whole catalog.

The oolong sample box we had previously at the amazing price of free is now $9.50 for 21g (3x7g) of Chen's tea.
chofmann
Vendor

Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 am

Hello from China! We are about halfway through our sourcing trip and will be headed to Taiwan soon. I've posted a few updates on Reddit, but you can also find a lot more information on Instagram (@LeafyGreen_Tea).

Importantly - We will be doing two Instagram live feeds next week. The first will be with the incredible Dong Ding Oolong farmer HauYing Chen. This will likely occur on the evening of June 2nd (ET) (i.e. The morning of the 3rd Taiwan time).

The 2nd will be as we freshly pick DaYuLin on June 3rd (ET) (morning of the 4th Taiwan time).

Exact dates and times will be posted on Instagram. If there is anything specific you would like to ask or know about, let us know soon, especially if you can't join for the live feed!
chofmann
Vendor

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 pm

chofmann wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 am

Importantly - We will be doing two Instagram live feeds next week. The first will be with the incredible Dong Ding Oolong farmer HauYing Chen. This will likely occur on the evening of June 2nd (ET) (i.e. The morning of the 3rd Taiwan time).

Exact dates and times will be posted on Instagram. If there is anything specific you would like to ask or know about, let us know soon, especially if you can't join for the live feed!
The live interview with HY Chen will be at 10am local Taiwanese time on June 3rd, or 10pm EST on June 2nd. Hope to see you all there!