Taiwan recommendations?

Travel logs and questions
imbibe
New user

Thu May 11, 2023 4:40 am

Hi! I just discovered this forum, and it's very cool to see the knowledge and enthusiasm for tea displayed here. I'm currently on a 3 week trip in Taiwan, and I'd like to find some places to learn more about tea, and to buy some good quality tea (and maybe teaware) to bring back home.

My trip is still open ended, so I could visit some tea farms, but from what I've heard and read on here that's difficult. So I guess my best bet is to visit some shops where I can try teas before buying them. I saw [runefactory's recent thread on stores in Taipei](viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2575), and that already has some good recommendations. In my case, some of my favorite teas include grassy and milky lightly oxidized oolongs like unroasted Baozhong, charcoal roasted Si Ji Chun, but also some fruity hong cha, or Wuyi oolong (not sure if there exist similar teas in Taiwan?). I'd also enjoy some fresh green tea.

Can anyone provide me with some more recommendations, also outside of Taipei? I'm finding it a bit difficult to go on recommendations on Google Maps for instance, because they tend to be from people that have just started learning about tea, and they're usually a bit less discerning about quality.
Bok
Vendor

Fri May 12, 2023 2:48 am

Best advice is to avoid shops where you can not try, otherwise just be open and drop in wherever you feel like, teashops are everywhere.
imbibe wrote:
but also some fruity hong cha
For fruity Hongcha look out for Gaoshan Hongcha.
imbibe wrote:
Wuyi oolong (not sure if there exist similar teas in Taiwan?).
There is Wuyi cultivar made Oolong in Taiwan, but it is different to Wuyi Yancha. Yancha is hard to get in Taiwan, at the moment it is not allowed to import in commercial quantities.
imbibe
New user

Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 am

Thanks @Bok, I'll try that :) Do you also know when the shops will get this spring's gaoshan harvest?
Bok
Vendor

Sun May 14, 2023 10:27 am

imbibe wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 am
Thanks Bok, I'll try that :) Do you also know when the shops will get this spring's gaoshan harvest?
Seems like the first ones are coming in now… yield is low from what I heard, so it might be tricky to get the better stuff.
Baiyun

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 pm

Bok wrote:
There is Wuyi cultivar made Oolong in Taiwan, but it is different to Wuyi Yancha.
So far the Wuyi cultivar teas I got from Taiwan were all ball rolled and lightly roasted, are there some that process it in a more Wuyi manner, strips and heavier roasts? Would be interesting to compare based on closer similarities in processing to get at the terroir a bit more.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:36 pm

Baiyun wrote:
Bok wrote:
There is Wuyi cultivar made Oolong in Taiwan, but it is different to Wuyi Yancha.
So far the Wuyi cultivar teas I got from Taiwan were all ball rolled and lightly roasted, are there some that process it in a more Wuyi manner, strips and heavier roasts? Would be interesting to compare based on closer similarities in processing to get at the terroir a bit more.
As far as I know the processing is all done in Taiwanese manner. HY Chen did an attempt to process in Wuyi method, but far from reaching a comparable result. Stick to what you know I guess…
Andrew S

Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 pm

Baiyun wrote:
Bok wrote:
If you're interesting in comparing the same WuYi varietals across different locations (not Taiwan) in a vaguely similar style, then perhaps something like this might interest you: https://daxuejiadao.com/collections/yongchun

Andrew
Baiyun

Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:59 pm

Andrew S wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 pm
Baiyun wrote:
Bok wrote:
If you're interesting in comparing the same WuYi varietals across different locations (not Taiwan) in a vaguely similar style, then perhaps something like this might interest you: https://daxuejiadao.com/collections/yongchun

Andrew
Thanks, I saw the sold out Explorer pack when browsing there, which sounded good with 15g each, but replicating it with 50g per tea is not as attractive to me, quite a few others I'd rather buy instead. Those guys are good at providing an eye watering shopping cart as it is :lol:

@Bok thanks, I can stop wondering about it.