Tea Filters: An Opportunity to Grow in Tea Arts

Baisao

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:19 pm
So about the circular pour...I realized today I do that early on, and then when I want to get everything possible out of leaves, I pour water directly on the leaves and more forcefully, so as to maximize extraction. It's not something that occurred to me earlier, but it's something I do instinctively when I feel a tea starting to taper out!
Isn’t that peculiar? I think it’s great.
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 am

Baisao wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 pm
tealifehk wrote:
So about the circular pour...I realized today I do that early on, and then when I want to get everything possible out of leaves, I pour water directly on the leaves and more forcefully, so as to maximize extraction. It's not something that occurred to me earlier, but it's something I do instinctively when I feel a tea starting to taper out!
Isn’t that peculiar? I think it’s great.
Yep, I was surprised I hadn't realized I do that. I think there's a lot more I do as far as brewing tea that is instinctual vs conscious!
Psyck

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am

Exactly why are all of you straining to avoid using strainers?
Baisao

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

Psyck wrote:
Filters are usually unnecessary and they subtly but negatively alter the flavor of oolongs and greens. I would suggest that relying on a filter to keep leaf bits out of your chahai or cup is an indication of poor technique.
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 pm

In my case I just find them unnecessary. I leave the sediment behind in the cha hai or cup and just dump it out. Filter is a component that does make for a clearer brew, but isn't necessary. The porcelain filters aren't as fine as the stainless kind and don't alter the taste of the brew, so they're a nice compromise. They keep the large bits out, but would let the finest particles through. I like to brew pot ---> cup a lot, but pot --> cha hai --> cup is what I do most of the time. Adding a filter just means I need to incorporate an extra bit into the routine, and I feel they're superfluous.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 pm

tealifehk wrote:
This did not sink in right away, but today I realized that I was doing the same thing with some Oriental Beauty (which I prepare & drink one infusion at a time unlike most of my teas).
Sometimes I use a strainer & sometimes I don't. I have not noticed a difference in taste.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 am

Adding to the opportunity to grow in Tea arts might also include:

– Not using a teapot or other water catching device
– Not using a pitcher, only three cups
Atlas

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Psyck wrote:
For my part, I don't own one, don't need one, and find them to have no aesthetic appeal.
Kconv

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:35 am

Some people get very sensitive about bits in their tea, others are drink away.

Personal preference, and many of the vendors sell cloth strainers.

I tend not to use an additional strainer with very green tea, and most oolongs dont need them. But Puerh I always use a strainer.. sorry some of this stuff is old and dusty.. and im not drinking that. But then again some people will just drop it in a glass and grandpa away.