Lessons from Anosmia: Smell and Taste

pedant
Admin

Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:46 pm

good idea
tolean

Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:00 am

Short update :)
After 4-5 day i started to feel the smell of my Aromatic oils.
Then slowly slowly it was becoming better and better.
Now (around 2 weeks after COVID) i would say i am 80% back if you can count it in percents. I drink tea, train my nose, smell my oils etc

Mostly there are no real changes in my smell, now it's just a little bit fade and some smells are distorted (cigarette smoke smells for me now smth between fart and cookies, sorry for this detail) and some soaps have some,,new,, notes... so let's say i was the lucky guy until now if to consider other options.

Also i read about some mushroom that helps you nervous system to calm and regenerate ( lion's mane). It is something natural that kind of helps in general your nervous system, it's not only for this type of cases. I am not sure if it helps or not since I was lucky and my smell started to come come by itself. Still i decided that if i can help i should try it. Not gonna recommend or give more details since I am not doctor and there is too much ,, unusual,, methods on internet which i am not an adept of.
In some weeks i will leave another update. Stay safe and good luck!
pedant
Admin

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:39 am

fwiw, lion's mane is pretty tasty. a thick slice pan fried in some butter... mamma mia

i don't think you'll regret trying this therapy.

edit: i used to grow them for culinary reasons. never thought of them medicinally.
tolean

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:12 pm

pedant wrote:
fwiw, lion's mane is pretty tasty. a thick slice pan fried in some butter... mamma mia

Aha, just that i found it in pills here :(.
Unfortunately did not find it fresh.
Baisao

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:28 pm

tolean wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:12 pm
pedant wrote:

Aha, just that i found it in pills here :(.
Unfortunately did not find it fresh.
There’s a good Reddit thread on lion’s mane pills causing lasting health issues, including but not limited to erectile dysfunction. I’ll take a pass.
pedant
Admin

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:57 pm

Baisao wrote:
There’s a good Reddit thread on lion’s mane pills causing lasting health issues, including but not limited to erectile dysfunction. I’ll take a pass.
who knows what was actually in those pills. unregulated supplements, lol.

the fresh ones are totally worth a try for food lovers though.
tolean

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:18 am

pedant wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:57 pm
Baisao wrote:
who knows what was actually in those pills. unregulated supplements, lol.

the fresh ones are totally worth a try for food lovers though.
Hopefully i will be fine :)
Teafortea

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am

I lost my sense of smell 100% due to covid. It was so annoying. I kept smelling burned food for three days. coffee made me gag and I did not feel like wasting my good tea when I could absolutely smell nothing. called my doctor and he prescribed Ivermectin along with 50mg of zinc. my smell came back in 48 h after starting it. See if you can have your doctor prescribe it. In France it was fairly cheap, about 5 Euro the treatment.
teatray

Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:25 am

Teafortea wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am
I lost my sense of smell 100% due to covid. It was so annoying. I kept smelling burned food for three days. coffee made me gag and I did not feel like wasting my good tea when I could absolutely smell nothing. called my doctor and he prescribed Ivermectin along with 50mg of zinc. my smell came back in 48 h after starting it. See if you can have your doctor prescribe it. In France it was fairly cheap, about 5 Euro the treatment.
Ivermectin (a drug used for deworming, not an antiviral) does not help with COVID-19, despite the many sites claiming otherwise. There is not one credible study proving efficacy. See 2nd paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin.
Teafortea

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:01 am

I don't care what wiki says, my doctor here in France is a better source no? I never liked google for my diagnosis nor treatment. Let's stay in the tea discussion better.
teatray

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:20 am

Teafortea wrote:
I don't care what wiki says, my doctor here in France is a better source no? I never liked google for my diagnosis nor treatment. Let's stay in the tea discussion better.
I agree that Wikipedia shouldn't be trusted 100%, but it's a good starting point for most things. The paragraph I pointed to contains references, incl. the positions of FDA, EMA, and WHO, and some articles that explain the issue.
TeaGrove

Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:46 am

Teafortea wrote:
Just a quick Google shows this has been advised against outside of clinical trials. This isn't a private space so you never know who is taking note, it's only right for it to be pointed out.
Teafortea

Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:07 am

As I suggested " call your doctor". The end.
Il faut pas chercher midi à 14 heures :) -don't know how to say it in English.
LeoFox

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:55 pm

Teafortea wrote:
We are not going to spread medical misinformation here.

Dr. @debunix please speak up.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... t-covid-19

That said, this compound was pushed by French doctors relatively early in the pandemic when people were trying to throw all sorts of junk at the virus hoping to make a quick buck.
Teafortea

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:11 am

Wow, I had no idea it was so controversial in the US. True though, I got treated fairly early in the pandemic. Healthcare in France is free though, I don't think dr make a big buck by prescribing 5$ meds. My prescriptions in the USA used to be around 300 $ a month after the co-pay, here I pay 2 euros.
Anyway, i got my smell back and hope to never catch it again. Looks like paxlovid is a much better treatment now, a five-day course is about 530$. Yay, now that's a big buck :)