Elise

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 am

ShuShu wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:33 pm
Elise wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm
Sunday morning Dahongpao.
What kind of teapot is this?
It’s a dark brown teapot from Taiwan given by a friend who didn’t use it.
EDIT: Maybe someone can give additional info by the pictures reposted here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328
Last edited by Elise on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Henk

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 am

Black Tie Guan Yin. I can't really appreciate the greener stuff, it has to be dark and with a good roast for me.
lopin

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 am

Cheap dahongpao from aliexpress. Gongfu style from gaiwan. Enjoyable session.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Celebrating the Lunar New Year by splurging with HY Chen's Special Grade Lishan. A whopping 14.5grams/200ml in Jozan Yamada III shudei kyusu. Perfecto; smooth, buttery, sweet, rich and a wonderfully effervescent minerality. This will last into tomorrow, continuing the festivities.

Happy New Year
Chen Special Lishan w Jozan III kyusu & Glaze Setoware teapot.JPG
Chen Special Lishan w Jozan III kyusu & Glaze Setoware teapot.JPG (615.04 KiB) Viewed 7993 times
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 am

Victoria wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 pm
Celebrating the Lunar New Year by splurging with HY Chen's Special Grade Lishan. A whopping 14.5grams/200ml in Jozan Yamada III shudei kyusu. Perfecto; smooth, buttery, sweet, rich and wonderfully effervescent minerality. This will last into tomorrow, continuing the festivities.

Happy New Year

Chen Special Lishan w Jozan III kyusu & Glaze Setoware teapot.JPG
Nice little pot there in the background!
Victoria
Admin

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 am

Bok wrote:
Dove? Which one :) Hokujo back handel with borrowed Shimizu Ken Nosaka lid, or another ;) I’m still repairing lid on that one so borrowed a lid that fit.
Happy New Year Bok.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 am

Victoria wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 am
Bok wrote:
Dove? Which one :) Hokujo back handel with borrowed Shimizu Ken Nosaka lid, or another ;) I’m still repairing lid on that one so borrowed a lid that fit.
Happy New Year Bok.
Happy new year to you too Victoria! I meant the one with the dent yes, looks good even with a borrowed lid :)
d.manuk

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 am

Starting a long tea day with Yingzhi Hongxin Baozhong from Wenshan.

I’ve had about 10 other Baozhongs before in my life but last week my friend gave me my first from Wenshan. It had a strong nutty characteristic that I liked. This one tilts more to floral/butter.

Janice

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am

This morning I’ve been drinking the last of a TeaLifeHK sample of fujian roasted shuixian. When I used the same steeping parameters as the Three Stamps Shuixian I was unenthusiatic. Today I emptied the last of the sample bag into the pot and the extra tea intensified all my favorite aspects of shuixian. Here it is in one of my best pots for steeping yancha. It’s a red shudei pot made by Maekawa Junzo.
Attachments
DC12C8BC-2ABF-4040-A3E9-341B7F3D5612.jpeg
DC12C8BC-2ABF-4040-A3E9-341B7F3D5612.jpeg (130.23 KiB) Viewed 7908 times
chofmann
Vendor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:09 am
Starting a long tea day with Yingzhi Hongxin Baozhong from Wenshan.

I’ve had about 10 other Baozhongs before in my life but last week my friend gave me my first from Wenshan. It had a strong nutty characteristic that I liked. This one tilts more to floral/butter.

We have the exact same little glass tea pitchers!
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 am

Janice wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am
This morning I’ve been drinking the last of a TeaLifeHK sample of fujian roasted shuixian. When I used the same steeping parameters as the Three Stamps Shuixian I was unenthusiatic. Today I emptied the last of the sample bag into the pot and the extra tea intensified all my favorite aspects of shuixian. Here it is in one of my best pots for steeping yancha. It’s a red shudei pot made by Maekawa Junzo.
Hi Janice! Glad you enjoyed the complimentary sample! That shuixian was something I purchased to test out for potential sale as a budget shuixian offering, but I felt it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I did like the shuixian more than some of the wholesaler's other Wuyicha offerings, however. I usually brew all of my Wuyi oolongs and TGY by filling the pot or gaiwan halfway up with dry leaf. It' just how I learned to brew those teas early on and I've found that ratio to work a treat! Thank you for the continued support!

BTW, that's a really lovely pot! Love the texture. My only shudei is in the form of a kyusu. I hope to get a back-handle kyusu at some point!
Victoria
Admin

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Another delicious session with Die Kunst Des Tees ‘Tian Xiang Hong Oolong 2015’. Wow extra leaf and honey fruity chocolate aromas and flavors emerge. The leaf is a beautiful mahogany red exuding a complex and sweet aroma. I shared this heavily oxidized and roasted oolong with LA Club members and seriously everyone became quiet, soaking in the rich aroma and complex flavor profile. Only one more session left that I’ll share at our next tasting at the Aikido Center in downtown LA. A little pricy but oh so good.
Janice

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Hi Janice! Glad you enjoyed the complimentary sample! That shuixian was something I purchased to test out for potential sale as a budget shuixian offering, but I felt it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I did like the shuixian more than some of the wholesaler's other Wuyicha offerings, however. I usually brew all of my Wuyi oolongs and TGY by filling the pot or gaiwan halfway up with dry leaf. It' just how I learned to brew those teas early on and I've found that ratio to work a treat! Thank you for the continued support!

BTW, that's a really lovely pot! Love the texture. My only shudei is in the form of a kyusu. I hope to get a back-handle kyusu at some point!
I’ll have to compare the amount of tea I weigh out with the amount needed to fill the pot halfway. When I noted the improved experience from using more tea my thought was to try that with my favorite Three Stamps shuixian. I have such a strong reaction to good yancha, maybe the caffeine, maybe something else, that I have to drink it in small quantities so I don’t need budget tea.

I bought the pot from Artistic Nippon. The red shudei clay is supposed to have been dug up and stored for 40 years. It has a direct filter rather than a sasame filter so it has a quick enough pour for yancha.
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Janice wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm
tealifehk wrote:

I’ll have to compare the amount of tea I weigh out with the amount needed to fill the pot halfway. When I noted the improved experience from using more tea my thought was to try that with my favorite Three Stamps shuixian. I have such a strong reaction to good yancha, maybe the caffeine, maybe something else, that I have to drink it in small quantities so I don’t need budget tea.

I bought the pot from Artistic Nippon. The red shudei clay is supposed to have been dug up and stored for 40 years. It has a direct filter rather than a sasame filter so it has a quick enough pour for yancha.
I'm actually caffeine sensitive myself, so I understand completely. A strong Wuyicha session in the morning is often all I want to drink for the entire day!

I understand you don't need the budget SX if you only drink a little at a time, but I was curious to see what people thought of it as I feel the price/quality ratio is good for what it is, and there is a definite market for entry-level Wuyicha. It's certainly a great deal better than Sea Dyke's Laocong Shuixian IMO! The issue is more that I don't know if I want to deal with stocking cheaper teas at this time because of the limited space I have in the warehouse. Cheaper teas mean more volume and more space needed for storage, as well as much larger packages that need to go out! I physically carry my packages to the post office since only 5% of the population here owns vehicles (I'm not part of that 5%), so moving larger boxes would be quite the hassle at this stage.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:48 pm

2017 FuShoushan via HC Chen in my new favorite Emu shudei pot. So glad 2017 was richer, sweeter and more buttery than Spring 2016, since that was way too subtle for me. Saving a cup for you 🍃

FuShoushan in Emu Shudei L1000680_.jpg
FuShoushan in Emu Shudei L1000680_.jpg (874.24 KiB) Viewed 7801 times