Bonavita Electric Kettle at Teavana 50% Off Plus Free Shipping

Atlas

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 pm
Is there a difference that effects steeping between a "rolling boil" and what is just before that, bubbles, steam, etc.?
(To the best of my knowledge) Yes - broadly speaking, when you're seeing some few bubbles, only a small portion of the water is actually at 100C. At a rolling boil, more of the water is closer to 100C, so pouring from the latter should result in water of a higher average temperature entering the pot.

I suspect that "steam" (ie water vapour rising off the surface of the water) probably indicates that the water is hot enough that the air above the water (at a higher temperature) rises, rapidly cools below its dew temperature, and forms visible water mist. That doesn't have to be anywhere near boiling.
hopeofdawn

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Slightly off-topic, but am hoping that other owners of these kettles might be able to help out--the handle on my Bonavita kettle (the gooseneck variable temp one) is coming loose on the bottom. So far it's still usable, if a bit wiggly, but there doesn't seem to be any attachment point that I can tighten. (The screw at the top is still tight.) Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to stick the handle back down?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm

hopeofdawn wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but am hoping that other owners of these kettles might be able to help out--the handle on my Bonavita kettle (the gooseneck variable temp one) is coming loose on the bottom. So far it's still usable, if a bit wiggly, but there doesn't seem to be any attachment point that I can tighten. (The screw at the top is still tight.) Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to stick the handle back down?
I wonder if it is glued to the stainless body down there, to avoid puncturing the body where water sits.
pedant
Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm

hopeofdawn wrote:
be VERY careful. this happened to phyllsheng. it broke off completely and could have easily dumped boiling water and burned someone.
he has graciously shared images and advice. i'm posting for him since he's not at his computer right now:

this shows how the handle is attached and how it broke off.

don't risk using it more as-is, and i wouldn't bother fixing it either (but if you have no other choice, i can give suggestions if you want).
just contact bonavita and they'll send you a replacement or a refund.
in his case, they sent a check in the same amount to replace it including taxes and shipping.
phyllsheng

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Thank you for relaying the message @pedant. When it happened to my Bonavita 2 years ago, I was lifting the kettle up and the handle just broke right off entirely...top and bottom parts were detached at the same time. The kettle fell from about 4ft onto the floor, the the lid that was properly and tightly placed on the opening of the kettle shot off like a projectile. I was very, very lucky that the kettle was empty when it happened, because my young daughter was sitting next to my tea table. Had the kettle had any hot water in it, my daughter and I would have easily been splashed and scalded badly.

The key problem is not screws, but the plastic parts used to attach the handle to the kettle, top and bottom.

I posted this issue and the photos that @pedant shared (with my prior permission, thank you) on an FB tea-related forum, and here is the scary thing -- if it isn't scary enough already -- it happened to a few people in that forum, and apparently it is a known issue to Bonavita kettle owners at large.

Someone who read my post re-posted it on Bonavita's Facebook page on my behalf, and I was contacted my the company's customer service rep. As @pedant had mentioned, I was given the option to either be issued a refund in the amount equal to the retail value + sales tax and shipping if I were to buy a new one or to receive a new replacement kettle. I opted for the refund.

I hope this cautionary tale helps.
pedant wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm
hopeofdawn wrote:
be VERY careful. this happened to phyllsheng. it broke off completely and could have easily dumped boiling water and burned someone.
he has graciously shared images and advice. i'm posting for him since he's not at his computer right now:

this shows how the handle is attached and how it broke off.

don't risk using it more as-is, and i wouldn't bother fixing it either (but if you have no other choice, i can give suggestions if you want).
just contact bonavita and they'll send you a replacement or a refund.
in his case, they sent a check in the same amount to replace it including taxes and shipping.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you for sharing this info. Pretty disconcerting. I’ll be more vigilant and place my other hand under the kettle when moving it.
hopeofdawn

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

Yes, thank you for the warning! I hate to throw out a perfectly good kettle, and given that it's five years old and the handle hasn't actually failed yet, I'm not all that sure Bonavita would replace it. I may just continue using it in the kitchen and being extra careful not to swing it around.

Anyone know if there is any glue out there that I might be able to use on this thing? Or would the swings in temperature from the kettle just make that a non-starter?
pedant
Admin

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
given that it's five years old and the handle hasn't actually failed yet, I'm not all that sure Bonavita would replace it. I may just continue using it in the kitchen and being extra careful not to swing it around.
ok, but why not at least try? not hard to ask them.
also, i actually do think there's a strong chance they'll work with you due to liability. dumping a liter of boiling water on someone is pretty bad.
regardless, i wouldn't try to keep using it as-is.
hopeofdawn wrote:
I hate to throw out a perfectly good kettle
Anyone know if there is any glue out there that I might be able to use on this thing? Or would the swings in temperature from the kettle just make that a non-starter?
i'm with you, but what i would personally do is not always what i'd recommend for someone else to do.
if you are really set on it..
i am away from home this weekend so i can't look at my bonavita, but assuming you can disassemble the handle by unscrewing it or something:
look at the parts of the handle that are breaking or are likely to break (e.g. the screw bosses) and then reinforce those areas with jbweld two-part epoxy.
using pieces of thick paper (cut from magazine covers for example) and tape, you can make forms around what you want to reinforce and fill those with the epoxy.
if you don't get what i mean, i can try to take pictures later.
Brent D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am

What a bummer!
I just bought one :shock:
hopeofdawn

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Well, apparently my kettle heard me talking smack about it, because now it won't heat at all. It's only five years old--is that normal for electric kettles to conk out that fast? If I have to have to spend $70-$100 every five years or so on a programmable kettle, I might as well just invest in a good cast iron one instead .... :evil:
debunix

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 am

I've got one programmable electric kettle still going strong at 8 years, but no others that have lasted more than 5. It's a bummer.