Psyck

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am

aet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 am
Psyck wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am
aet wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm
just looking at that site. I didn't know that they have 400y old trees there? According Chinese research statistic there is no any tree older than 200y.
None older than 200? They are now faking research statistics too? :)
I don't know. What is your knowledge about that? please share:-)
I've no knowledge about it, was just kidding.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Psyck wrote:
aet wrote:
Psyck wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 am

None older than 200? They are now faking research statistics too? :)
Yunnan Tea Research Institute and Yunnan University carbon dated a wild tea tree at 1,800+ years old in Da Hei Shan rainforest. The tree died in 2012.

Here is a video showing the habitat of wild old growth tea trees in Yunnan, at the end a 1000 year old tree is shown.
http://hojotea.com/en/posts-8/
aet
Vendor

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Victoria wrote:
Psyck wrote:
aet wrote:

Yunnan Tea Research Institute and Yunnan University carbon dated a wild tea tree at 1,800+ years old in Da Hei Shan rainforest. The tree died in 2012.

Here is a video showing the habitat of wild old growth tea trees in Yunnan, at the end a 1000 year old tree is shown.
?......Yunnan? ..Dancong ...? .please follow the topic:-) ..this is not about the Yunnan tea here:-)
Victoria
Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 pm

aet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Victoria wrote:
Psyck wrote:

?......Yunnan? ..Dancong ...? .please follow the topic:-) ..this is not about the Yunnan tea here:-)
I was under the impression we had moved onto old growth trees in Yunnan. Smart phone screen, my bad. Interesting video though :)
miig

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:18 am

I've always been happy with Tea Hong. I believe that the owner, Leo Kwan, is serious about tea and wants to sell good material and knowledge, too. His favorite tea are Dan Cong Oolongs, he also has the website Tea Guardian.
aet
Vendor

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 pm

agree with telifehk
...just add something. If you introduce to foreigners non artificially automatized Dancong , usually he/she doens't like it and qualifies it like low grade and no drinkable tea.
Not many experienced Dancong drinkers around so some vendors just have to "play the ball" and sell what sells the most , despite all said above:-(
Well, we stick to nature no matter what, I don't care if somebody has better sales......
Killy

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 am

TeaHive wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 pm
CWarren wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:11 am
pedant wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:39 am

Hi do you like china oolong tea ?

i have tried samples from this vendor and was not impressed...

my favorite dancong vendors are hojo and teahabitat
I have seen many good reviews of their tea on both Reddit and Instagram but like I’ve said I’ve yet to try them. I only posted based on Tea friends comments thinking it might be helpful. No big if there’s no interest as I have no affiliation with them and no longer follow them as my tastes have moved almost entirely to puerh again as of late. Not sure if your question was aimed at me but yes I do enjoy Chinese oolongs though I admit I prefer Taiwanese more. On this forum like on Tea Chat there will be folks with more elite tastes who I imagine will not enjoy the same teas others might. Anyway don’t want to take up this topic with this any more of my chatter any longer as the point was to give recommended Dan Cong vendors not to over discuss the merits or non merits of one unless the OP enjoys that kind of thing. :lol: Seems Hojo and Tea Habitat are popular recommends.
We were approached by these vendors on Instagram and offered to send us "free samples" but required we pay for shipping which was like 20 bucks. We decided to do it because we figured we could make it a good video... They are sending us 5 samples of different oolongs and I am looking forward to giving my thoughts on them! I'll be posting when we get the video out. Hopfully they are better than what I've been reading here... :? :mrgreen:
I had a similar experience, they approached me through Instagram offering samples, and due to the expensive shipping I took advantage and ordered 100gr of yashixiang and another 100gr. of milanxiang. It was my first time with dancong tea, and I was excited to try them. Wrong move xD

Like tealifehk, I found a moldy and even bitter flavor under the amazing and incredible aroma, that vanished soon. But sadly I had nothing to compare. I thought that perhaps I was doing something wrong in the brewing, due to a sensible kind of tea. So, bored and no excited at all about them, I ignored dancong several months, until I bought some milanxiang from a trusted local store in my city, and was a different experience. Less awesome start, but a real and sweet flavor lasting in my mouth. I love them.

Thanks for your recommendations everyone, I will try wuyiorigin and bitterleafteas to learn more about dancong :)
Crator
New user

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:42 pm

White2Tea just got in a few different types of dancongs in. Anyone have opinion on how they might be? I have ordered other stuff from here before and its been very hit or miss.

http://white2tea.com/?s=dancong&post_type=product
Teachronicles

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Crator wrote:
White2Tea just got in a few different types of dancongs in. Anyone have opinion on how they might be? I have ordered other stuff from here before and its been very hit or miss.

I can't speak to those Dan congs specifically but I enjoyed the traditional tgy's sold by W2T. And also liked a number of other teas I've gotten from him.
wildisthewind

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
Crator wrote:

I can't speak to those Dan congs specifically but I enjoyed the traditional tgy's sold by W2T. And also liked a number of other teas I've gotten from him.
I've tried them both - definitely the genuine item. Not sure if I prefer their Xing Ren or Cindy Chen's, they're good in different ways, but the Ye Lai was superb. (My first experience of that cultivar, TBF, so I can only evaluate it in comparison to Dan Congs in general.)
tea_twig

Tue May 08, 2018 4:12 pm

I would like to know which vendors in Europe or China are highly regarded for their dan congs?

I know Wuyi Origins, Jing Tea Shop and Hou De offer some dancongs.

What do you think? Can you recommend other very reliable vendors in EU / China?

I've heard the TeaHabitat and Hojo offerings are excellent but they are based in the US and Malaysia respectively.
dyungim

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 pm

wildisthewind wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 pm
Teachronicles wrote:
Crator wrote:

I've tried them both - definitely the genuine item. Not sure if I prefer their Xing Ren or Cindy Chen's, they're good in different ways, but the Ye Lai was superb. (My first experience of that cultivar, TBF, so I can only evaluate it in comparison to Dan Congs in general.)
Which ones did you try from Cindy?
Baisao

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 am

@tealifehk, preach brother!

These oolong are heavily doped with fragrances. It’s so obvious too. I thought I was speaking to the wind every time I mentioned it. No one believed me.
Tea Adventures

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am

Baisao wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 am
tealifehk, preach brother!

These oolong are heavily doped with fragrances. It’s so obvious too. I thought I was speaking to the wind every time I mentioned it. No one believed me.
It's completely by accident that I discovered this thread, but this is also what happened to me. Last year, this company contacted me through Instagram and offered me free samples if I paid for shipping. It was 14 USD so I did and waited for the samples to arrive.

Once I got the samples, the flavours were really nice and enjoyable. They almost seemed too good to be true (me being inexperienced in dan cong oolong tea). I said it to a friend (who is much more knowledgeable than me) and he said that the flavours were pure without any added substances. I was pretty sure that the flavours didn't taste natural. Now I know I'm not the only one.
gld

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 pm

I have a question. Does the fragrance of doped tea remain when the tea itself fades?

I bought Huang Jin Gui from Jing Tea Shop last year. it was too floral for cheap tea (in my opinion) so I just drank it at work and forgot about it. Now a year later it's faded and mellow with a little added depth; no fragrance (as would be the case for non-doped tea) but with a nicer body. It may just have died nicely, but the extra-floral taste is gone.