Top electric kettle

Brent D

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm

My work kettle just broke:(
Lasted under a year. Pretty dissapointed. It was the cuisinart that sells for $80 on amazon.
Anyway, I gotta buy another. What’s your favorite?
Teachronicles

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:06 pm

I have this one that got better reviews than the bonavita and cuisinart. It's lasted me a year+ with no problems so far.

Ivation Precision-Temperature Electric Hot Water Tea Kettle Pot 1.7 Liter (7-Cup), 1500 Watt, Stainless Steel Cordless, 6 Preset Variable Heat Settings for Tea, Coffee or Baby Formula
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Balmuda kettle. No fuss, just a beautifully simple kettle that does its job, heat the water. The spout allows for very precise and delicate pouring if needed.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 pm

I am very happy with my Bonavita 1.7L Digital Variable Temperature Gooseneck Kettle. You can set and hold any temperature from 140°-212°F and has auto shut off. No plastic comes in contact with water and gooseneck is handy. It comes in 1liter and 1.7, I went for larger one for our group tea tasting events. I think the Balmuda kettle is aesthetically more pleasing, but the Bonavita functionally is a winner, especially if you drink a range of teas requiring very specific temperatures.
OldWaysTea
Vendor

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am

I use a sort of hybrid electric kettle. I have a small induction cooker that I put a normal kettle on. I have used the normal electric kettles, but always come back to my induction cooker. The kettle is lighter, usually better designed, and if the induction cooker breaks I don't need a new kettle, and if the kettle breaks, I don't need a new induction heater.
Psyck

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm

If under a year, surely you can get it replaced under warranty. For a work kettly, wouldn't in be better to get a small simple sturdy one with no fancy features?
Brent D

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Psyck wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm
If under a year, surely you can get it replaced under warranty. For a work kettly, wouldn't in be better to get a small simple sturdy one with no fancy features?
I sure can. I can pay to ship it to them, and wait up to 12 weeks. Not worth it to me.
It doesnt need fancy features, but multiple temp settings is required.
pedant
Admin

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Brent D wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm
My work kettle just broke:(
Lasted under a year. Pretty dissapointed. It was the cuisinart that sells for $80 on amazon.
Anyway, I gotta buy another. What’s your favorite?
sorry to hear that. i wonder how much it costs to ship to them. always nice to have a backup kettle or save it for a second tea area.
i have a few of that same kettle (cpk-17)

two of them are about 8 years old now and have seen a lot of use.
i wonder if they were made better back then or if i just got lucky.

i grabbed a bonavita 1.7L variable temp gooseneck recently just because there was a good sale, and i like it so far.
i like the keep-warm UI on the cpk-17 more though. on the bonavita, i think you have to hit the keep-warm button every time you set the kettle back on its base to make it do it.
Brent D

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 am

yup, its that cuisinart. I wasnt that into it anyway as I like to fine tune my temps.
I ordered the 1 liter bonavita last night.
debunix

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

I just bought a new kettle from Amazon because another Bonavita is having issues. I checked my purchase history and I've bought three Bonavita 1L gooseneck variable temp kettles (BV382510V), in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

The 2013 pot developed a fault where it stopped heating entirely in 2017, after almost 4 years of daily use, before and after work on most weekdays, and for 3-5 individual teas on weekends. Each session may involve touching the keypads at least once for heating water for 3-8 infusion per tea, and with the green teas, resetting temp with nearly every infusion--a lot of use.

The 2015 pot was in a satellite office where I have 2-4 sessions/day 3 days a month--not such heavy use, and soon after I got it—maybe immediately, I can’t recall—it showed the ‘hi-err’ problem which is well known per the manufacturer. I can work around that, so I didn’t replace it right away, but I see now there is a manufacturer replacement program that may deal with that.

But this week I’m starting to see a different glitch in my 2017 pot—seems like it is having trouble recognizing that the pot is connected to the base. I can’t see any buildup of debris around the connections between base and pot, so again I’m thinking maybe fault with the electrics.

One pot glitching after less than 4 years, one almost out of the box, and one more after just under a year, from 3 purchased, seems a bit much. So I decided to try a different item, and found this one that hasn’t been mentioned here yet: Gourmia GPK720 Electric Kettle:

It looks nearly identical to the Bonavita, a gooseneck pot with separate corded base, and in fact the Bonavita pot works on the Gourmia base, and the Gourmia pot works on the Bonavita base. But: the Gourmia has a wider temperature range, 212 down to 104 degrees, and a different but equally rapid way of making larger temp jumps so you can set temps to the exact degree but also can go from 104 to 212 without watching the display go up one degree at a time.

Why do I care about temps below 140 degrees? I like water about 105 degrees for my sinus rinse each morning when the air is dry or my allergies are acting up. So I make sure to heat some water to boil before I go to sleep, and the next AM warm the pre-boiled water to 105, fill the sinus rinse bottle with that plus the salt packet, and comfortable happy nose awaits. That’s really the only use I have for that low but precisely controlled temp.

It’s much to early to say if the Gourmia electrics will prove more lasting than the Bonavita; and I’ve definitely seen one of the reported issues where the Gourmia tends to overshoot the goal temp a few degrees before settling back to that goal temp and holding. But it seems like it might be a reasonable alternative with just a little more temperature flexibility; and for the plastic-phobic, there is no plastic inside the kettle (although that does make me wonder about the durability of the handle-body connection of the pot).
Brent D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am

Let us know how that kettle works out for you. Over in another thread, there have been some pretty large issues with the bonavita.
I’m surprised that there isn’t a single high end manufacturer that could corner this market.
debunix

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm

I'll try to remember when I have more experience with the new kettle.

I'd be happy to pay quite a bit more for a pot made with more solid electronics, including a keypad made to last, and similar versatility (setting temp in 1-2 degree increments from 110-212 degrees, that I could use for 20+ years.
Brent D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Has anyone tried the brewista artisan? Looks interesting, but not a lot of info out there on it.
It looks similar to the bonavita, but it beeps so that’s a plus!
pedant
Admin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 pm

in praise of bonavita variable temp gooseneck:

one feature i've really come to appreciate is how you can make it show you the current water temp (regardless of if you have the heating element on or not).
Craig

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm
... So I decided to try a different item, and found this one that hasn’t been mentioned here yet: Gourmia GPK720 Electric Kettle:

It looks nearly identical to the Bonavita, a gooseneck pot with separate corded base, and in fact the Bonavita pot works on the Gourmia base, and the Gourmia pot works on the Bonavita base. But: the Gourmia has a wider temperature range, 212 down to 104 degrees, and a different but equally rapid way of making larger temp jumps so you can set temps to the exact degree but also can go from 104 to 212 without watching the display go up one degree at a time.

Why do I care about temps below 140 degrees? I like water about 105 degrees for my sinus rinse each morning when the air is dry or my allergies are acting up. So I make sure to heat some water to boil before I go to sleep, and the next AM warm the pre-boiled water to 105, fill the sinus rinse bottle with that plus the salt packet, and comfortable happy nose awaits. That’s really the only use I have for that low but precisely controlled temp.

It’s much to early to say if the Gourmia electrics will prove more lasting than the Bonavita; and I’ve definitely seen one of the reported issues where the Gourmia tends to overshoot the goal temp a few degrees before settling back to that goal temp and holding. But it seems like it might be a reasonable alternative with just a little more temperature flexibility; and for the plastic-phobic, there is no plastic inside the kettle (although that does make me wonder about the durability of the handle-body connection of the pot).
I purchased a Gourmia GPK720 Electric Kettle after reading this and after a week of use I'm pretty darn happy with it. Thanks for the tip, debunix!