What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
OCTO

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:32 am

Having some 80s PuErh with my trusty DuanNi... Very clean, well stored and no unwanted smell or aromas... The aroma of RedDates envelopes the tongue and chaqi is extremely calming on a cool rainy night.

Cheers!!!

IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg (234.62 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
mrmopu

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:07 pm

2006 Changtai LMRM. Very clean storage, Bangwei material and notes of dried fruit in there. YiWu area so not a bunch of kicking in the mouth like I usually prefer.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 am

Been going to town on this 2008 Taste of HK cake from Yeeon. I know it just got in, and I really should let it rest but I’ve already had it 2 times. Has a really pleasing latte and gingerbread flavor.
klepto

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 pm

karma wrote:
Been going to town on this 2008 Taste of HK cake from Yeeon. I know it just got in, and I really should let it rest but I’ve already had it 2 times. Has a really pleasing latte and gingerbread flavor.
I never let my cakes rest :oops: but after a while it improves so win win :P
Chris

Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 am

Jumping on the bandwagon, I'm also drinking the 2008 Taste of HK, boiled in a glass kettle after steeping throughout the day yesterday.

Judging by how quickly I'm going through them, this and the 2008 Jiang Cheng brick, also from Yee On, are some of my all-time favorite workday puerhs. They're smooth, comforting, and keep brewing forever.
wave_code

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am

I've been drinking the fulushou and best taste loose ripes a lot lately. both have been great for brewing a variety of ways- stacking long slow brews with less leaf, western style, even gong-fu. I think my preference is doing one or two strong dark cups of the fulushou and doing more multi steep brewing with the best taste. I picked them up to give them a try while I was more interested in the liu bao and liu an they had on offer, but I think next time I'll be getting more shu since I really like the overall house taste so far - rich and thick and earthy but also very sweet and comforting. its been a much colder winter here than last year, so HK shu is really hitting the spot these days.

I tried the 2012 Choice Arbor too and it was alright, but I'm not one for sheng so my opinion on it probably means nil. think I'll give sheng one more try with the Taste of HK cake next time just because everyone seems to enjoy it so much, if I only keep one cake around it seems like a good bet.

One thing I didn't quite get with the best taste ripe though was that it said it is a blend of maocha and chunks of broken cakes. Looking at it I can see how there are different types of leaves blended, but does this mean its both shu cakes and loose shu blended to get the mix of quicker releasing and longer lasting flavors the two offer, or broken up shu cakes with bits of HK stored sheng blended in? I always assumed maocha always meant it was raw since it was 'unprocessed', but maybe I'm wrong or this is just a translation or semantics thing? it makes me wonder if I should try blending sheng or track down blended cakes and if that might be more my speed. @YeeOnTeaCo maybe you could set me straight on this?
BriarOcelot

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:19 pm

The postman just arrived, so I'm drinking some of the 2017 Jingmai Gushu sent as a sample. Really nice stuff from William. I'll let the other cakes rest up for a few weeks before I dig into them. Looking forward to trying the Dong Guo.

I'm also currently chomping my way through (and jarring up) some Xiaguan Jin-cha though (2007):

OCTO

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:21 am

Yet another weekend of OCTO's quirky PuErh blends... hahahaha.... today it's 2006 shou cake + 1999 sheng brick + a small piece of 2010 sheng (very smoky) cake. Remnants of all three thrown into a pot and it's a brew throughout the entire day... just keep refilling the hot water. It's very nice and thirst quenching on a busy day spring cleaning my tiny pigeon home. Deep after taste and smooth tea broth. A tad of smokiness from the 2010 sheng.

Cheers!!!

IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg (230.37 KiB) Viewed 4630 times
YeeOnTeaCo
Vendor

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:00 pm

karma wrote:
Plenty more for you to enjoy ;)
Chris wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 am
Jumping on the bandwagon, I'm also drinking the 2008 Taste of HK, boiled in a glass kettle after steeping throughout the day yesterday.

Judging by how quickly I'm going through them, this and the 2008 Jiang Cheng brick, also from Yee On, are some of my all-time favorite workday puerhs. They're smooth, comforting, and keep brewing forever.
So great to hear 8-) especially happy to hear they keep brewing forever :D :D 8-)
wave_code wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am
I've been drinking the fulushou and best taste loose ripes a lot lately. both have been great for brewing a variety of ways- stacking long slow brews with less leaf, western style, even gong-fu. I think my preference is doing one or two strong dark cups of the fulushou and doing more multi steep brewing with the best taste. I picked them up to give them a try while I was more interested in the liu bao and liu an they had on offer, but I think next time I'll be getting more shu since I really like the overall house taste so far - rich and thick and earthy but also very sweet and comforting. its been a much colder winter here than last year, so HK shu is really hitting the spot these days.

I tried the 2012 Choice Arbor too and it was alright, but I'm not one for sheng so my opinion on it probably means nil. think I'll give sheng one more try with the Taste of HK cake next time just because everyone seems to enjoy it so much, if I only keep one cake around it seems like a good bet.

One thing I didn't quite get with the best taste ripe though was that it said it is a blend of maocha and chunks of broken cakes. Looking at it I can see how there are different types of leaves blended, but does this mean its both shu cakes and loose shu blended to get the mix of quicker releasing and longer lasting flavors the two offer, or broken up shu cakes with bits of HK stored sheng blended in? I always assumed maocha always meant it was raw since it was 'unprocessed', but maybe I'm wrong or this is just a translation or semantics thing? it makes me wonder if I should try blending sheng or track down blended cakes and if that might be more my speed. @YeeOnTeaCo maybe you could set me straight on this?
We are really glad you liked our house blends, it's a recipe my grandfather came up with to create a more enjoyable everyday drinking tea for the local market and I bet he'll be extra happy if he knew his recipe is being enjoyed overseas as well 8-)

As with the maocha in this instance, it's a ripe loose tea which we manage to acquire before it was steamed and pressed (processed) into ripe tea cakes. So the term maocha here is just simply "rough tea" which is destined for blending or pressed into various products.

If you really like the taste of this we have a promotion coming up soon, or PM me for some recommendations.
serverpanic
New user

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:48 pm

"2004 CNNP 7542" from Essence of Tea

Crisp and clean wood flavors with a long-lasting aftertaste. Really enjoyable tea.
eot7542.jpg
eot7542.jpg (382.22 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
7542_cup.jpg
7542_cup.jpg (236.49 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
OCTO

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 am

Another round of OCTO’s quirky blends.... today it’s 80s 7581 and 2002 LiuAn... very calming to the mind and body!

Cheers!!

6E685297-8629-4654-B818-0995C0F4A334.jpeg
6E685297-8629-4654-B818-0995C0F4A334.jpeg (218.18 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
polezaivsani

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:17 pm

It's real winter mode here, hence i decided to try the 90s (1995 iirc) white label shou tuo i got from EoT in the last BF gift galore. Appropriate disclaimer, i rarely drink shou and first time such an old one. Guess now i see what good settling through time can do to shou. It misses a bit somewhere in the lower spectrum, but compares quite good to a similarly old sheng stored in Hong Kong. None of the usual ripe mustiness remained, the wet leaves oscillating between old wardrobe and a old book shelves feel rather clean, like an old book in a properly controlled environment of a modern library. Plenty bark or dry wood, pinch of camphor, want to call it sweet, but it isn't exactly that. Plenty of steeps will be cradling me with comfort through these snowy days.
Rickpatbrown

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Enjoying some 1990's Qing Bing from Essence of Tea. Very different than most of the sheng that I've had so far. I can really see the similarity between this style aging and shou now. Super smooth, thick and comforting. Is this what they mean by "some Hong Kong storage"?

Lots of incense flavors.

I don't know what region the tea is from. The description says 8582, but they arent sure. I don't have much to compare it too, though. My only other older tea is a 1995 Mengla cake. That was stored in Taiwan and seems much more complex, but not as smooth. Very different teas.
OCTO

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:52 am

I'm having a round of 2008 private press sheng puerh blend from Taiwan called Me Mei. 12 years in storage hasn't tamed the tea down much.... probably just a notch. Extremely strong blend, So I decided to go quirky on this and added a pinch of "salt",.. hahaha..... The kick and strength is kicked down a few notches, making it more palatable. The aroma and smoothness of vintage tea with a strong underlying qi from a such an amazing press..... Thank God It's Friday!!!

Cheers!!

IMG_1603.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg (181.02 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Stephen

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:22 am

@OCTO Lovely color to that tea soup. How did you add the salt? Haven't heard of that before.