Electric Kettles

faj

Sun May 31, 2020 12:24 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm
I hope that heating only about 1/4 of the capacity would be quite quick in the bigger kettle. Is that how it works?
The 1.7l is 1500W, while the 1.0l is 1000W. I have both, but I have never compared how quickly they heat water. It seems reasonable to suspect that heating the same amount of water is going to be a bit quicker in the bigger one. If I put myself in nitpicking mode, I will say the bigger model does not feel as balanced in the hand : the center of mass is going to be further away from your hand when pouring, even if they both contain the same amount of water.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Youzi & faj,

Thanks for your replies. I tried using a stovetop kettle for several days. I can get by without better, but I don't want to.

I just ordered a 1.7 L bonavita from Walmart. It will be more awkward to handle but probably not so much that I would not adjust to it.

Cheers
Noonie

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:14 pm
Youzi & faj,

Thanks for your replies. I tried using a stovetop kettle for several days. I can get by without better, but I don't want to.

I just ordered a 1.7 L bonavita from Walmart. It will be more awkward to handle but probably not so much that I would not adjust to it.

Cheers
Hi @Ethan Kurland

Would love to hear your comparison to the 1L after you've tested out the big brother. I've had the 1L Bonavita for about 7-8 years and it has been a loyal companion. However, the lid is quite rusty, and every now and then the temp display goes into some wild fluctuations and thus I feel like it's time for a new pal. Not sure how often I'll want more than 1L but it's nice to have that option. And when I last looked on Amazon (CA) it was on sale for pretty close to the 1L so a good deal.
lUKAV28

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Jeffrey McIntosh from Denong Tea made a gooseneck kettle comparison for tea brewing (bonavita vs oxo was Stagg ekg). Maybe someone find it helpful.

Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:12 pm

Cool water to boiling for 1.7 L bonavita:

500 ml -- 2 minutes; 750 ml--3 minutes; 1 L --4 minutes. This is faster than the 1 L version; moreover, I had not heated 1 liter of water in the smaller kettle for years as it seems to put a strain on it. In fact for the last year of the 7 1/2 years that I used it, some days it would not get water to 100 C.

Also going to 96C seems faster & keeping 500 - 750 ml at a temperature seems easier for the bigger kettle.

I don't find the bigger kettle awkward to use. If I have a full liter in it, I do feel the weight since I am used to handling a kettle with less than 1/2 liter in it.

I am happy with the purchase. I bought from Walmart online for less than $80 before tax. Cheers
joelbct

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 pm

I'm still using the Cuisinart PerfecTemp I've had for ~6 years. It's my second, and before that I used the Adagio UtiliTea, also was adjustable.

The Cuisinart kettle might not be quite as elegant as a Bonavita Gooseneck, but it does the job, and well. The temp settings still require using a thermometer after pouring, for precision with green or white tea, but, having imprecise variable settings is still much better than having none.
klepto

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:33 am

My Bonavita Interurban has been a champ although it has a some dead pixels in the display its still working. When it dies I'll get a Stagg EKG, they have cute wooden handles now.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 am

Old bonavita kettles may be useful. (Save them.)

A week ago I had a "senior moment" during which I turned on my bonavita 1.7 L variable temperature kettle without putting water inside it. Soon there was an unfamiliar sound & a scent of burnt electric wiring.

I had killed it. This led me to learn that parts of bonavita products can be purchased online. I did not buy any. This information led to some productive thought & to me using my old 1 L kettle on top of the 1.7 L heating element/pad. This works. (I had saved the old kettle for watering plants.) Obviously, when the old bonavita had stopped working properly, trouble was with the top, not the bottom. Ruining the top of the bigger bonavita had not effected the bottom, though death from old age had effected the bottom of the old, smaller bonavita, not the top.

If my memory is not misleading me, the 1.7 L pad is heating the 1 L pot faster than its own pad had done.
faj

Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
If my memory is not misleading me, the 1.7 L pad is heating the 1 L pot faster than its own pad had done.
I have a 1,7l and a 1,0l too, but have never tried switching bases though I had noticed that they were physically compatible. The two models are rated for different power outputs, and I have wondered whether the power is limited by the base or the kettle. It would seem, based on your experience, it is limited by the base. Hopefully they have done their homework and the physical compatibility implies the smaller kettle can handle the additional power safely.
debunix

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am

I have also found unexpected compatibility between certain kettles and bases--Gourmia and Bonavita, when one component died but the other part was fine. I'm sure the manufacturers would not recommend it but they're clearly built from compatible parts.
faj

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:26 pm

debunix wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am
I have also found unexpected compatibility between certain kettles and bases--Gourmia and Bonavita, when one component died but the other part was fine. I'm sure the manufacturers would not recommend it but they're clearly built from compatible parts.
At some point in the past I ended up (through research of my own or someone else's, I cannot recall) on the website of a company that designs and sells connectors that link the bases and kettles. It is very likely that these components requires a level of engineering or manufacturing expertise that makes it cheaper or quicker for kettle manufacturers to concentrate on design, outsourcing, marketing and distribution.
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:44 pm

kitchenj.com sells a base saying it is good for the l L & 1.7 L kettles but does not say how powerful the base is. It might be the power usually used for 1 L that works more slowly for the 1.7 L. I don't know.

I doubt it is good for other bonavita kettles but again don't really know.

It is interesting that the power source & brains of variable temperature pairs is the less expensive part. Replacing the bottom is about half the cost of replacing the top.

When empty, the l.7 L kettle does not seem much heavier than the 1 L. I guess that I am not likely to put only 300 ml of water into a kettle that holds 1700 ml, even when I only need a little water. I won't overfill so much now that I am back to 1 L.
klepto

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Old bonavita kettles may be useful. (Save them.)

A week ago I had a "senior moment" during which I turned on my bonavita 1.7 L variable temperature kettle without putting water inside it. Soon there was an unfamiliar sound & a scent of burnt electric wiring.

I had killed it. This led me to learn that parts of bonavita products can be purchased online. I did not buy any. This information led to some productive thought & to me using my old 1 L kettle on top of the 1.7 L heating element/pad. This works. (I had saved the old kettle for watering plants.) Obviously, when the old bonavita had stopped working properly, trouble was with the top, not the bottom. Ruining the top of the bigger bonavita had not effected the bottom, though death from old age had effected the bottom of the old, smaller bonavita, not the top.

I've almost done that so many times.. I've turned it on with no water in it and turned it off as fast as I could. That sucks my bonavita is still kicking which keeps me from getting complicated with a tetsu :P
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm

klepto wrote:
.....almost done that so many times.. I've turned it on with no water in it and turned it off as fast as I could. That sucks my bonavita is still kicking which keeps me from getting complicated with a tetsu :P
klepto, Have you tasted tea when the water was heated in a tetsubin? Maybe for your palate, you are missing nothing. I have not had tea with a tetsubin involved in preparation. I have had tea whose water was heated in ceramic kettles that were heated by real charcoal. I could not perceive any benefits from all that trouble. I do realize that palates are not all the same. I just might not be able to detect what happens.
klepto

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm
klepto wrote:
.....almost done that so many times.. I've turned it on with no water in it and turned it off as fast as I could. That sucks my bonavita is still kicking which keeps me from getting complicated with a tetsu :P
klepto, Have you tasted tea when the water was heated in a tetsubin? Maybe for your palate, you are missing nothing. I have not had tea with a tetsubin involved in preparation. I have had tea whose water was heated in ceramic kettles that were heated by real charcoal. I could not perceive any benefits from all that trouble. I do realize that palates are not all the same. I just might not be able to detect what happens.
I haven't and honestly don't want to complicate my tea sessions anymore than they already are :P.