Yixing

steanze
Vendor

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Kolleh wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Thank you for the helpful breakdown, everyone! So in the end, all of the pots I thought most likely to be decent quality weren't, and all of the ones I decided to buy anyway because they were cute, even if they might not be, were. :lol:

I'm mildly devastated the flower pot isn't zisha...I suppose as long as the clay isn't likely to be toxic, I can use it anyways for fun. Maybe for flavoured teas or something. If it is actually hand-carved, it seems so strange to me that they've bothered putting that much craftsmanship into something that isn't even using the real clay. :(

Would you say the egg-shaped mixed zhuni(?) pot is still worth using for teas, or should I be looking to pick up something better?
You are welcome, and sorry for the bad news, but look at it on the bright side: this is the start of a learning path and it will help you to get better pots!

The egg-shaped zhuni is usable, but if you like yixing pots you can definitely look for something better when it fits in the budget. You will want to start by asking what type of tea you need a pot for, that will help you to find a pot that works well for that tea. I recommend studying the look and texture of the clay on verified antique pots, antiques are made from unadulterated clay and they will give you a better idea of what good clay looks like.
BriarOcelot

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:45 pm

@Kolleh Tuition pots are called that for a reason :-) it's a shame about the yellow pot though. I'd use the red one as long as there's no dodgy smells. The important thing is how the tea tastes ;-).

I'm scared to post mine here now haha. I'm still waiting for some to come in the post (I ordered some before Christmastime and they are predictably stuck in the mail).
DailyTX

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:29 pm

BriarOcelot wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:45 pm
Kolleh Tuition pots are called that for a reason :-) it's a shame about the yellow pot though. I'd use the red one as long as there's no dodgy smells. The important thing is how the tea tastes ;-).

I'm scared to post mine here now haha. I'm still waiting for some to come in the post (I ordered some before Christmastime and they are predictably stuck in the mail).
@BriarOcelot
Drinking from a toxic pot is more scary than learning about yixing from seniors in this forum. I would say it’s a bless to have people who’s willing to share their knowledge and guide you the way :lol:
BriarOcelot

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 pm

@DailyTX This place and it's members certainly are a valuable resource of information - there is a lot of bunk elsewhere (on various vendor sites etc). I've made my share of bad tea and teaware purchases through the years :D some painful lessons learned.

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:20 pm

New pot! Thanks @Bok
Attachments
IMG_7499.JPG
IMG_7499.JPG (180.79 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
DailyTX

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:28 pm

BriarOcelot wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:12 pm
DailyTX This place and it's members certainly are a valuable resource of information - there is a lot of bunk elsewhere (on various vendor sites etc). I've made my share of bad tea and teaware purchases through the years :D some painful lessons learned.
@BriarOcelot
It’s a painful journey majority of yixing owners go through. Once you acquired the knowledge, then you can try your skills to hunt for them in the West. It’s an exciting experience haha once a while I’ll make an eBay gamble, you never know what you will find :lol:
OCTO

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Youzi wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm
Kolleh wrote:
Thank you for the helpful breakdown, everyone! So in the end, all of the pots I thought most likely to be decent quality weren't, and all of the ones I decided to buy anyway because they were cute, even if they might not be, were. :lol:

I'm mildly devastated the flower pot isn't zisha...I suppose as long as the clay isn't likely to be toxic, I can use it anyways for fun. Maybe for flavoured teas or something. If it is actually hand-carved, it seems so strange to me that they've bothered putting that much craftsmanship into something that isn't even using the real clay. :(

Would you say the egg-shaped mixed zhuni(?) pot is still worth using for teas, or should I be looking to pick up something better?
Probably it's for artistic reasons and not caring about Yixing traditions or making a good tea. This kind of mentality is quite common nowadays, many people are throwing pots too in yixing, cuz that's easier and faster than traditional slab building.

I'd say the red one is fine, and of course it's always a good thing to look for more and better teapots. :D :D
+1 👍🏻👍🏻
OCTO

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:33 pm

steanze wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm
Kolleh wrote:

You are welcome, and sorry for the bad news, but look at it on the bright side: this is the start of a learning path and it will help you to get better pots!

The egg-shaped zhuni is usable, but if you like yixing pots you can definitely look for something better when it fits in the budget. You will want to start by asking what type of tea you need a pot for, that will help you to find a pot that works well for that tea. I recommend studying the look and texture of the clay on verified antique pots, antiques are made from unadulterated clay and they will give you a better idea of what good clay looks like.
+1 👍🏻👍🏻
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:41 pm

karma wrote:
New pot! Thanks Bok
Yeah! :mrgreen:
OCTO

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Kolleh wrote:

@Kolleh You're in good hands.
LeoFox

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:03 pm

karma wrote:
New pot! Thanks Bok
You really gonna brew raspberry mint lemonade in it?
OCTO

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:44 pm

LeoFox wrote:
karma wrote:
New pot! Thanks Bok
why not? hahahaha....

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:48 pm

LeoFox wrote:
karma wrote:
New pot! Thanks Bok
maybe pina colada
Bok
Vendor

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Go pure. Maotai.
Balthazar

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 pm
Go pure. Maotai.
An antique pot filled with Maotai - can't think of a better gift for a senior official :D

Wouldn't be unheard of either, the Tuopai Shede is supposedly stored in Yixing clay for more than 8 years (although probably not antique :mrgreen: )

@karma: Beautiful pot!