Yixing

steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:40 pm
I am the heretic who drinks Gaoshan from my Duanni. Same reasons why I equally love to use my Kobiwako for these teas. Body, give me body! Aroma is superficial :lol:
One more reason to drink puer ;)

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:56 pm

steanze wrote:
Bok wrote:
I am the heretic who drinks Gaoshan from my Duanni. Same reasons why I equally love to use my Kobiwako for these teas. Body, give me body! Aroma is superficial :lol:
shhh you'll scare him
Bok
Vendor

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 pm

steanze wrote:
Bok wrote:
If only Puerh had some more body...
steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:11 pm
If only Puerh had some more body...
:shock: :D

Different preferences are part of the fun
Kolleh

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Youzi wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:42 pm
This one seems to be the best pot so far. Judging by the pictures it seems to be either half hand made of 3rd/4th gen. Locomotive teapot, which is impossible to distinguish from each other.

However checking the taobao page, they say it's fully hand made, which is a lie, although they faked the inner seal quite well, however if you can reach the seal easily with your fingers, then they can easily place the seal with a plastic "sticker" (don't know the word for that).

The price is also not right for fully hand made teapots. Full-hand prices are closer to 1000 rmb. Plus they claim to use Benshan Duanni, but that also adds extra costs, so the 650 rmb price doesn't add up based on their claims.

So I'd say all in all, that it's a nice modern locomotive pot, so far the best you posted, should be fine to use and also probably high fired, with good lid fit etc. However for that, I'm not sure 650 is the right price..
Thank you for your help! I was brewing young sheng puerhs in it, but after @steanze's advice, I tried that in the other locomotive duanni pot and really enjoyed it. (It might have been a placebo, but it seemed like it took away most of the harsh notes I found a little unpleasant while drinking.) So maybe I'll switch them and use this one for my roasted oolongs instead.

And Merry Christmas, everyone! I think the rest of the world has finally caught up to our timezone. :D
steanze
Vendor

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Kolleh wrote:

Thank you for your help! I was brewing young sheng puerhs in it, but after steanze's advice, I tried that in the other locomotive duanni pot and really enjoyed it. (It might have been a placebo, but it seemed like it took away most of the harsh notes I found a little unpleasant while drinking.) So maybe I'll switch them and use this one for my roasted oolongs instead.

And Merry Christmas, everyone! I think the rest of the world has finally caught up to our timezone. :D
Merry Christmas!!
I was suggesting to use it for aged sheng that went through humid storage, I'd make young sheng in a thin porcelain gaiwan :)
Kolleh

Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:44 am

steanze wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Kolleh wrote:

Thank you for your help! I was brewing young sheng puerhs in it, but after steanze's advice, I tried that in the other locomotive duanni pot and really enjoyed it. (It might have been a placebo, but it seemed like it took away most of the harsh notes I found a little unpleasant while drinking.) So maybe I'll switch them and use this one for my roasted oolongs instead.

Merry Christmas!!
I was suggesting to use it for aged sheng that went through humid storage, I'd make young sheng in a thin porcelain gaiwan :)
I see! I was only planning to use one general type of tea per pot—one for sheng puerh and one for shou. I've only just started drinking puerh in general, though, so I have a lot to learn about the different types and how their flavours come together. (I'll probably be browsing the relevant parts of the forum at some point to look for recommendations.) It might be easier for me to figure out how specific I want to get pairing pots and kinds of tea as I get more familiar with it all. Thank you for clarifying. :)
Kolleh

Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:59 am

Another pot, from the same store as the nicer duan ni I posted: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... sqpttdc403

It's supposed to be qingshui ni, which I'm guessing isn't the case. But hopefully it's at least some kind of zisha? It has small little black and white dots scattered occasionally across it, which I've read is generally a good sign.

(Apologies to everyone for clogging things up with all these photo posts. I've been trying to space all the teapots out a bit so people can at least talk about other things in between. I'm learning a lot just by reading through everyone's discussions!)
IMG_2983.jpg
IMG_2983.jpg (128.05 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
IMG_2981.jpg
IMG_2981.jpg (118.05 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
IMG_2980.jpg
IMG_2980.jpg (189.47 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg (176.48 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
IMG_2984.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
IMG_2982.jpg
IMG_2982.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Youzi

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:34 am

Kolleh wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:59 am
Another pot, from the same store as the nicer duan ni I posted: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... sqpttdc403

It's supposed to be qingshui ni, which I'm guessing isn't the case. But hopefully it's at least some kind of zisha? It has small little black and white dots scattered occasionally across it, which I've read is generally a good sign.

(Apologies to everyone for clogging things up with all these photo posts. I've been trying to space all the teapots out a bit so people can at least talk about other things in between. I'm learning a lot just by reading through everyone's discussions!)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Looks, equally fine to me as the previous one, the price is much more friendly though. Qingshuini... Basically just refers to light brown clay most of the time, in case of modern pots, should be just Zini.

You don't have really dedicate pots to each tea. It's more like see what works best and just brew like that. I wouldn't worry much mixing teas in the same pot, just use soft, filtered water, and rinse and clean your pots after each use. Then if you want, you could just use one pot for everything. But using more pots are better, cuz teapots are pretty. :D

Especially this one is the most pretty so far. :D :D
McScooter

Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:38 pm

First foray into yixing with a modern pot from YZH - this is the Jian Hu 85ml made of Lao Zini. I've only had about 45 sessions with it so far, so it is very much in a break-in phase at the moment. I'm no expert, but it appears to be very well made, with a very nice pour and tight fitting lid. Some tool marks inside the pot just inside the rim, but one would have to be looking for them to notice. The clay was more matte when the pot arrived, and it appears to be developing a pleasant patina. It makes pure water taste noticeably sweeter with a rounder, fuller mouthfeel. I'm surprised by how noticeable the effect is - I assumed it would be more nuanced, but I can pick it out in a blind test 100% of the time.

I've used it with semi-aged sheng, and experimented with more approachable younger sheng and very lightly fermented shou. I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoy using it relative to a standard gaiwan. Unfortunately, that probably means another hit to the wallet as I already have a few additions in mind :P
Attachments
YZH_LaoZini.jpg
YZH_LaoZini.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Kolleh

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:22 am

McScooter wrote:
First foray into yixing with a modern pot from YZH - this is the Jian Hu 85ml made of Lao Zini. I've only had about 45 sessions with it so far, so it is very much in a break-in phase at the moment. I'm no expert, but it appears to be very well made, with a very nice pour and tight fitting lid. Some tool marks inside the pot just inside the rim, but one would have to be looking for them to notice. The clay was more matte when the pot arrived, and it appears to be developing a pleasant patina. It makes pure water taste noticeably sweeter with a rounder, fuller mouthfeel. I'm surprised by how noticeable the effect is - I assumed it would be more nuanced, but I can pick it out in a blind test 100% of the time.

I've used it with semi-aged sheng, and experimented with more approachable younger sheng and very lightly fermented shou. I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoy using it relative to a standard gaiwan. Unfortunately, that probably means another hit to the wallet as I already have a few additions in mind :P
That's such a lovely photo! What are the other pots you're eyeing?
murphydog
New user

Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am

Can anyone identify the maker's make and provide more info?

Hello,

I bought this pot at a second hand store because I thought it was neat and I hadn't seen many unglazed tea pots. I did a little research on and think its a high fired Yixing. I don't think its a fake based on some articles, but would appreciate some opinions from the experienced users here.

- Is it real Yixing?
- Can anyone translate the artist and maker's mark?
- Is it handmade or partially hand made?
- I read that they are best used with a single type of tea due to porosity. I also read the design features also lend itself towards specific types too. What tea family would this pot have been designed for (if any)
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG (88.88 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG (151.67 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG (172.71 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG (195.8 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Last edited by Victoria on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: merged new member post
OCTO

Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:03 am

steanze wrote:
Bok wrote:
++1 ... I second this!!!
polezaivsani

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:46 am

McScooter wrote:
Hear, hear. If you love your tea wares, set them free! ;)
McScooter

Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Kolleh wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:22 am
That's such a lovely photo! What are the other pots you're eyeing?
Thanks! Looking for a proper tea plate, tea boat, or teapot stand to take the place of my gongfu table, which would probably make the pots even more photogenic (in addition to being a practical component of my tea drinking).

As for pots, I think my next is likely to be a modern hongni to complement the zini, probably with the intent of pairing it with either young-ish sheng or yancha. EoT has some in stock that are tempting. I'd love to pickup a 60's F1, but think I need to spend a bit more time doing research. I've been drinking tea for a while, but have only begun poking around teapots recently. I also have a kobiwako on order, but for the time being anticipate using that for high mountain oolongs or sencha.