Introduce Yourself

pedant
Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:15 pm

welcome, @jimmy!
Victoria
Admin

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:01 am

Welcome to TeaForum @jimmy and @naturalpuerh 🍃.
Izanami

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 am

Hello, it's nice to meet all of you.

How long have you been drinking tea? Probably 15 years.

What kind of tea do you drink? Mostly white, green, and oolong.

How do you prepare your tea? Strict guidelines, haha.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now? I'm not sure. I already know a lot about tea, but of course, there is always room to learn more.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there? Coffee has always had a little to much caffeine for me, so I got into tea instead.

What is your location? United States of America
pedant
Admin

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:53 am

welcome, @Izanami :mrgreen:
TastyOregano

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Hello friends, I’m Patrick. Longtime lurker, finally joining in on the fun.

How long have you been drinking tea?
All my life, but more seriously for the past 4 years or so

What kind of tea do you drink?
Most teas, but my favorites are Sheng (bulang material) and yancha/dancong

How do you prepare your tea?
GongFu/Chaozhou

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Delving deeper into white and red teas, been slacking with those. Collecting tea ware aswell.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
Family got me into it, it’s just a way of life for me/us.

What is your location?
NL
pedant
Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 am

hi @TastyOregano, great to have you here
Victoria
Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:03 am

Welcome to TeaForum @Izanami in the USA and @TastyOregano in the Netherlands 🌞🍃.
jimmy

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:17 pm

if only i understood how to use this forum
LeoFox

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:17 pm

How long have you been drinking tea?
All my life. My dad is northern Chinese, and so he introduced chinese greens to me early on. My mom is southern Chinese, and she did the same but with yunnan red tea. However, I have mostly been drinking tea casually until this year. With covid lockdown forcing me home, i have replaced wine, spirits and cocktails with large quantities of tea (15-25 grams a day). At this amount, I am not sure if tea is healthier than the alcohol I was drinking before.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Before drinking tea seriously, i would occassionally drink long jing or taiwanese green oolong grandpa style.

Since lockdown, i have been systemically drinking tea from different regions:

darjeeling ( mostly first and second flush)

ceylon (mostly high mountain op nuwaea eliya)

japan ( i get all my teas from o-cha.com: light, medium and heavy steamed sencha as well as gyokuro)

taiwan (both high mountain green and darker oolongs, bao zhong and reds)

Chinese greens (long jing, biluo chun and hou kui)

Chinese reds ( yunnan dian Hong, keemun)

Chinese oolong (wuyi and dan cong)

How do you prepare your tea?

Indian and ceylon: mostly western style. For ceylon, i like mixing with cinnamon and saffron. For some first flush darjeeling, i do gongfu

Japanese: i use the Japanese method with a tokoname. With some deep steamed, i use western style.

Taiwanese and Chinese: gongfu

aside for japanese greens, i use porcelain or glass pots.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

Brewing parameters and relation to extraction of chemicals from tea leaves. I have a background in biophysics and biochemistry and so i am naturally interested in the methodology. I don't forsee myself ever considering "intuitive" brewing with no timer or thermometer.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

1.) It has helped me better connect with my parents during a time when i cannot see them. I talk to them about tea very often. My dad is a professor and has taught some tea classes, so he is very knowledgeable.

2.) Tasting and preparing tea has been a great way to meditate on the human condition.

What is your location?

Near Washington DC
Last edited by LeoFox on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedant
Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:57 pm

welcome, @LeoFox :mrgreen:
Victoria
Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Glad to have you join us at TeaForum @LeoFox 🍃.
cbrace

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 am

Hi all,

This morning I mailed Pieter who blogs at tea-adventures dot net with a question about pu'erh storage, and in his reply he mentioned a post on this forum, which I hadn't visited before. So here I am. I've been a lifelong casual tea drinker. About ten years ago, thanks to the extensive offerings of a local tea shop, I developed a taste for Darjeeling First Flush. I then broadened into Chinese blacks, greens, and oolongs. More recently I've been getting into aged raw pu'erh, hence my question to Pieter about how he stores his stash, which he has listed on his site. I have a collection of clay teapots and gaiwans of various sizes to suit a given mood and type of tea, but what remains a mystery to me is the appeal of extremely short infusions. Maybe my taste buds still have to develop? Time will tell. I was born in the US, have lived most of my adult life in Amsterdam.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am

Welcome to TeaForum @cbrace. With short infusions high quality leaf, and a higher proportion of leaf to water, typically works well. Each person tweeks a session to one’s taste, I tend to prefer slightly more time than many, primarily because I enjoy richer bolder steeps. With puerh, yancha, and aged oolong I’ll usually start with very short steeps, other teas I prefer to steep longer upfront.
cbrace

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks @Victoria. Actually, I enjoy the gong fu approach for a highly fragrant Taiwanese oolong, like Ali Shan, but for most Chinese blacks and greens I prefer a 2 to 5 minute infusion.
mbanu

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 pm

maitre_tea wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Hello, I was on teachat under the same handle, but I've been told that this is a more active forum. I've been drinking tea on-and-off for the last 10 years, mostly puerh and aged oolong. I was abroad for the last two years so I haven't been able to drink much tea, but now I have been reunited with my tea collection and teapots. I'm excited to spend more time on this hobby, and pick up more yixing teapots (some of mine got lost in the move sadly)
Did you have a blog under the same name, by any chance?