What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
klepto

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 pm

Yiwu Mountain Tea: 2019 Yiwu Gushu Huangpian
Oily mouthfeel, Buttery sweet and delicate. Considering the price of this, it could be a daily drinker for me.
Thanks to @pantry for giving me the heads up and pointing out some of their teas to try out.
I got some teaware in the mail at the same time so I broke them in right away.

gaiwan-yiwu.jpg
gaiwan-yiwu.jpg (219.27 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
Auxilium

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm

2005 Zhong Cha Red Star 7581 from bitterleaf tea, very good clean smooth ripe earthy date-y all round very lovely flavor the only small hiccup was me cutting my thumb open trying to pry it apart! :)
Noonie

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:14 pm

Auxilium wrote:
2005 Zhong Cha Red Star 7581 from bitterleaf tea, very good clean smooth ripe earthy date-y all round very lovely flavor the only small hiccup was me cutting my thumb open trying to pry it apart! :)
As long as the tea tastes good! I now use this thick glove when holding the cake while I pry it apart with a tea knife.
klepto

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Yiwu Mountain Tea: Bohetang Huangpian 2020 Spring
Its been 3 hours since I drank it and I can still taste it. Lovely returning sweetness amongst the waves of flavor.
I broke out the aroma cup for it :D
Auxilium

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Noonie wrote:
Auxilium wrote:
As long as the tea tastes good! I now use this thick glove when holding the cake while I pry it apart with a tea knife.
Hahahahahahhahahahaha for sure! Now that's a good idea right there, I may steal that one from you! ;)
StoneLadle

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 am

Auxilium wrote:
Hi there, do you have a picture of the brick?
Auxilium

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:25 am

StoneLadle wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 am
Auxilium wrote:
Hi there, do you have a picture of the brick?
I do! I'm not quite sure how upload pictures on here so I will do my best! Also after having this a second time I have come to realize this is one the most mellow and sweet ropes I have ever had, although I will say that my experience with ripe is quite small compared to many members of this forum.
Auxilium

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 am

After many attempts to attach the file that failed I went with the good ol Google drive, excuse the bad photo quality.

StoneLadle

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:29 am

Auxilium wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 am
After many attempts to attach the file that failed I went with the good ol Google drive, excuse the bad photo quality..
Great pic of a tasty brick! I'm glad you found it palatable. It gets better with age I can assure you!

I have two bricks of mid 90s vintage that are doing two different things. One is livelier than the other, being one good for an afternoon session and the other for a more sedate session
Victoria
Admin

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Noonie wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:47 pm
I've always wanted to try a tasting group and thought it would be interesting to do so via Zoom or similar app, with some members here. Between 2 and 5 people would probably be good.

While I'm posting this here in the Pu'er forum, I may reference it in the "Groups, Clubs & Events" folder ( Victoria what would you recommend?).

I realize there are some online and possible more formal groups established but I was thinking of keeping this low profile. I'm also being selfish in that I don't want to go buy new tea just to have this experience, if possible; was hoping someone (or a few people) have the same tea on hand that I do so we could make this easy on folks.

I'm sure there is more to it than below, but so far here are some thoughts:
- Month - I'm fairly busy in the warmer months so would prefer the winter time (November onwards). Though I could certainly do this sooner if we get interest...would be great to have a demo go at it.
- Time of Day - if on a weekend pretty much anytime (10-5 EST); weekday, maybe 4-5 or 6pm
- Tea - posting here in the Pu'er forum because that's the tea I have most of...and nearly all of it from Yunnan Sourcing. Both Ripe and Raw. We would need to share inventories. I live in Canada so I didn't want to get involved with international shipping, but if someone lives in Canada and wants to participate I can mail some samples for one or more planned sessions. I'm guessing this is the hardest part to coordinate. Alternatively, I have some 2019 and 2020 Sencha/Shincha on had from ThesDuJapon I would be happy to use instead. I know it's probably unlikely that more than a couple of us have the same teas.
- Live Session - I use WebEx for work but can use Zoom or whatever. I would be fine hosting the event, technically. I have no experience with how to facilitate a tea tasting event though, but if we keep it informal that's okay. If someone more organized joins in and wants to play this role - great! If not, I would just say what I suggest for brewing parameters but even if people vary a bit that's part of the experience (i.e., some rules, but not too many!).

Post here if interested, or send me a PM. Once I have some names I can post a separate topic in the Groups, Clubs & Events folder and list all of my teas, then take it from there.
@Noonie you might want to repost this in "Groups, Clubs & Events" area, and reach out to members who you think might be interested in a Zoom group tasting to generate participation. If enough members are interested we can also make it a TF special event.
thommes

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Noonie wrote:
If there's a way for me to get cut, I manage to do it. However, I've been lucky with breaking open bricks and bings. I need to get a tea pick, as my only one has been missing me at work since March. What I've been doing is using a wood awl and gently pushing it down into the compressed tea in a couple spots close to each other. Then I take a small paring knife and insert it horizontally and wiggle the knife back and forth to get a chunk of tea from the brick/bing/tou. Knock on tea tree wood but it's been working so far for me.
Last edited by thommes on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm

2020 Lao Man E from Farmer Leaf. I don't drink much young sheng, but I liked the body of this tea starting around the fourth infusion. It was sold as having heavy chaqi; a few hours later, I can still distinctly feel it in my chest and eyes.
klepto

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:43 pm

Chris wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm
2020 Lao Man E from Farmer Leaf. I don't drink much young sheng, but I liked the body of this tea starting around the fourth infusion. It was sold as having heavy chaqi; a few hours later, I can still distinctly feel it in my chest and eyes.
I was look at some Lao Man E 2014 Spring from Tea Urchin, its on my list. How is Farmer Leaf btw, a few people here have mentioned them.
Chris

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:29 am

klepto wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:43 pm
How is Farmer Leaf btw, a few people here have mentioned them.
That Lao Man E is actually the first puerh I've tried from them, so I don't have a definite opinion yet. :) I like the level of info they share about their teas, though, and they offer reasonably priced samples. My samples came in about a month, which is impressive given the myriad issues affecting shipping times right now.
pantry

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:44 pm

klepto wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 pm
Yiwu Mountain Tea: 2019 Yiwu Gushu Huangpian
Oily mouthfeel, Buttery sweet and delicate. Considering the price of this, it could be a daily drinker for me.
Thanks to pantry for giving me the heads up and pointing out some of their teas to try out.
I got some teaware in the mail at the same time so I broke them in right away.
@klepto Glad you enjoy the tea! That huangpian is definitely worth stocking up :lol:

Re: farmer-leaf. I've had several teas from them at different price points. They offer fair values for their teas. I'm interested in their 2020 Huey Wa -- anyone tried it?