What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
sqt

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 am

CYH 2011 jincha - almost seems a waste but going to grandpa this today since its a hectic day.
Justin

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Noonie wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm
I started with sheng and couldn't get enough of it for 8 months or so...then I tried some decent shou and this is has been growing on me, to the point where I'm now preferring it to sheng. Although I feel like I'll swing back or at least go back to 50/50 between them. Lately I've been drinking shou every morning, and sheng every other day or so (in the afternoon).
What sorts of decent shou have you really enjoyed? I'm with you in finding shou more enjoyable. I used to only drink sheng, but now I see the value in shou.
pantry

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:21 pm

I prefer drinking shu at a Chinese restaurant than brewing shu at home 😂
lUKAV28

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Justin wrote:
Noonie wrote:
I started with sheng and couldn't get enough of it for 8 months or so...then I tried some decent shou and this is has been growing on me, to the point where I'm now preferring it to sheng. Although I feel like I'll swing back or at least go back to 50/50 between them. Lately I've been drinking shou every morning, and sheng every other day or so (in the afternoon).
What sorts of decent shou have you really enjoyed? I'm with you in finding shou more enjoyable. I used to only drink sheng, but now I see the value in shou.
This is an incredible shu https://essenceoftea.com/collections/pu ... -shou-puer
klepto

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:07 pm

EoT's 2020 Secret Forest Wild:
Delicious flowerbomb that keeps giving and the more steepings you do the better it tastes.
mrmopu

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm

2003 Changtai Bamboo Spring. 17 years old and not overly stored. Leaves the tea nice, clean brew notes of old book and sweet figs in the brew. Clean easy to drink. Just a touch of humidity has done this one well.
klepto

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 pm

I was going down a rabbit hole about fungus, probiotics and prebiotics in puerh and stumbled on this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918958/

To cut through the super heady and complex discussion:
Next generation sequencing revealed high fungal and bacterial diversity in Pu-erh tea. Fungal diversity drops and bacterial diversity rises as a result of raw or ripened fermentation. The composition of microbial communities changes significantly among fresh leaves, raw and ripened Pu-erh with the aged raw tea having similar community to ripened tea. Age of tea is identified as a significant variable affecting microbial community of raw tea, but not of ripened tea. Multiple mycotoxins were detected from either or both categories of Pu-erh, but all but patulin and asperglaucide were under the safety limit. For safe drinking, we recommend discarding the first brew.
Drinking puerh on a empty stomach is a good way to get a quick and easy colon cleansing :|
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:29 pm

klepto wrote:
Drinking puerh on a empty stomach is a good way to get a quick and easy colon cleansing :|
Mostly young sheng though I'd say, no?
klepto

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm

Bok wrote:
klepto wrote:
Yes, its a guarantee. :D
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:42 pm
Bok wrote:
klepto wrote:
Yes, its a guarantee. :D
Be careful with that stuff, it's very aggressive, even with enough food intake beforehand... good way to ruin your stomach in the long run
Justin

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:02 am

lUKAV28 wrote:
Justin wrote:
Noonie wrote:
This is an incredible shu https://essenceoftea.com/collections/pu ... -shou-puer
I ordered a sample of that, but it's still stuck in shipping limbo xD
DailyTX

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:19 am

Justin wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:02 am
lUKAV28 wrote:
Justin wrote:

I ordered a sample of that, but it's still stuck in shipping limbo xD
@Justin
I am on the same boat as you...my March order from EOT has been stuck in Shanghai since mid May. :(
sqt

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:35 am

Bok wrote:
klepto wrote:
I used to scoff at such statements and had all manners of tea on an empty stomach for years... until I had some young xiaguan one morning. Never again!
thommes

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:04 am

I am on the same boat as you...my March order from EOT has been stuck in Shanghai since mid May.
Sort of lucky. I placed orders in February and they got here before issues. In June I started placing orders again. I had two orders arrive at ISC on the same date, but two different locations. The one from Chicago got here in three days. The one in san fran... still waiting on it. 7 weeks :(
Justin

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Just tried the Wistaria Lan Yin that I picked up from @pantry. I brewed with quite a bit of leaf because I wanted to see what this tea is about (7.4g/100ml gaiwan)
For tasting notes, I mainly get jujube/ woody notes in the beginning and middle infusions. It reminded me of the Love Forever Paper Tong which I drank yesterday. Later on, I was getting more nutty notes with a chalky mouthfeel which mended well into the huigan. Body is smooth, not much astringency to note. Did get a bit of bitterness in the later steeps (around steep 7 or 8), also maybe a hint of smoke

I would say this tea really shines in the finish. The cha qi is the creeping sort, it starts off slow and then builds up to a pulsing qi. It's an interesting contrast to the Double Lion from TWL which is more of the in your face qi. I had to take a break around steep 3 and just lie there as I felt the qi all thru my body, tingling in my hands and toes. This tea really sorta forces you to slow down, which I love! Huigan was always there as it envelopes my mouth. At first, huigan was drying my mouth a bit, but then I start to salivate a little. It's like smacking your lips after eating something tasty. Feels like the guy behind Wistaria was going for a more old school production. Overall, solid tea, I really enjoyed it!