Your day in matcha

Non-oxidized tea
Janice

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm

rdl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm
Janice wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40 pm
I’m always happy to achieve a decent foam with inexpensive matcha.
It's nice to receive a delivery so quickly, in good or difficult times.
I'm wondering why you find inexpensive matcha doesn't foam well; meaning you have success with expensive matcha? Is it technique or chemical?
If by chemical you mean additives no. It’s just a pattern I’ve observed but maybe someone with greater expertise will chime in.
rdl

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:39 pm

No, not additives, just what exactly is the difference between expensive and inexpensive matcha to affect foam? I don't seem to have an issue, however my matcha selection is not all that expensive so I can't compare with finer grades
jaredell
New user

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:07 pm

Pedro_lres wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 am
Akatsuki from The Tea Crane.
Hadn't heard of that seller before. Checked out their site and it looks great. Watched a cool video of the seller showing different sifting devices. My wife helped me track down the one he favors:

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/honjien/003-191-18-2/

Pricey, but really cool!
Janice

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:28 am

I originally bought a sifting device from O-Cha, not the type with the metal balls but the one that sifts the matcha into a closable container. I only use it now for very lumpy matcha. Instead I follow the cold water technique in the Thes-du-Japon video. Tyas Sōsen identifies as an instructor in a particular tea ceremony technique so he might not be open to skipping steps that are a part of the ceremony he teaches.

What dismayed me was the Intimidating number of steps he recommended for cleaning the chasen. I’ve just been whisking mine in warm water in the clean chawan and then setting it on the chasen stand to dry.
faj

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:13 am

Janice wrote:
What dismayed me was the Intimidating number of steps he recommended for cleaning the chasen. I’ve just been whisking mine in warm water in the clean chawan and then setting it on the chasen stand to dry.
Well, I have been drinking matcha for a good while even though I do not own either a chawan or chasen, so you can rest assured that there are poor souls far lower than you are on the scale of observance of the dogmas...
Elise

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:10 am

1D4BBFD8-65CD-49A1-84FC-377120890F38.jpeg
1D4BBFD8-65CD-49A1-84FC-377120890F38.jpeg (226.59 KiB) Viewed 7743 times
Bok
Vendor

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:19 am

Janice wrote:
. Tyas Sōsen identifies as an instructor in a particular tea ceremony technique so he might not be open to skipping steps that are a part of the ceremony he teaches.

That guy talks a lot when the day is long... personally I’m really put off by the pretentious way he paints himself as a semi-monk all the while showing off on social media in a not very zen way.
Janice

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:46 am

I haven’t been following Sōsen on social media but the contrast between his presentation and that of the tea “sommelier” at Thes-du-Japon would then be even more striking. For example, in the Thes-du-Japon video on preparing matcha all you see are the hands - the focus is on the tea.

In any case, I’m continuing to purchase tea locally as the USPS is still dependable when Asia isn’t involved. The matcha I purchased from Ippodo is good, but not so good for the price that I didn’t look elsewhere. There’s a tea shop in the East Village in NYC, Setsugekka, that I would love to visit in person. They serve a 3 matcha tasting menu and teach brief classes in matcha prep, and I was planning a spring visit. Since the quarantine prevents me from going to them I ordered some matcha to be sent to me.
VoirenTea

Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 am

I finally got a proper chawan, and it is so much easier to whisk properly! I had to be very careful to not splash it everywhere with the previous bowl and couldn't make a thick froth.

The chawan is from 'The Japanese Shop' who sell on UK Amazon - wanted to get something that was already in the country and I liked the glaze on this one.

I finished my Kiri-no-Mori matcha and am now on the Japan Wazuka Samidori matcha from What-Cha (borrowing the empty canister). I'd say it was slightly more robust and slightly less sweet (though by no means bitter) compared to the Kiri-no-Mori.
OhThatNinja

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Haven't had matcha in a long time. Decided to fix that :D

Speaking of matcha, what ratios are y'all using? I used 3 scoops of matcha powder for 8 oz of water (160F). First stirred the matcha in 1 oz of room temp water to dissolve the powder, then added 7oz of 160F water.
Matcha.jpg
Matcha.jpg (195.49 KiB) Viewed 7009 times
debunix

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm

How much is 3 scoops in grams?

I'll have to measure my next matcha session; I've been eyeballing so long I do not know my quantities.
faj

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Speaking of matcha, what ratios are y'all using?
I prepare sencha every now and then, but I really do not have a good grasp of the range of parameters others use and am curious to know too. I am slowly working down a matcha for which I use something around 1.2g to 1.5g for about 60ml (2oz) of water. I used 75C water at the beginning, but have now switched to 70C.
OhThatNinja

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:51 pm

debunix wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm
How much is 3 scoops in grams?

I'll have to measure my next matcha session; I've been eyeballing so long I do not know my quantities.
I've read that 1.5 scoops is 2 g so 3 scoops should be around 4 g but I'll measure next time.
I'm more curious whether I use too much water (8 oz) for my ~4 g of matcha...
faj

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 pm

OhThatNinja wrote:
I guess there are no hard guidelines, so "too much water" is probably mostly a matter of preference. You can try with more water, less water, and see what difference it makes. You preference might very well vary depending on what matcha you are having.

It still is interesting to hear from others, though, sometimes it gets you to pay attention to things you were overlooking, or try things from a very different angle.
bentz98125

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 am

faj wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 pm
OhThatNinja wrote:
I guess there are no hard guidelines, so "too much water" is probably mostly a matter of preference. You can try with more water, less water, and see what difference it makes. You preference might very well vary depending on what matcha you are having.

It still is interesting to hear from others, though, sometimes it gets you to pay attention to things you were oquaverlooking, or try things from a very different angle.
I agree to the role of personal preference and even mood, in matcha/water ratio. But recently I tried seeing how thick I could make some (really high quality) matchas before they tasted bitter. I cheated with a cheap electric hand whisk to do it and the answer was, I couldn't make them bitter! Some I made so thick they weren't even a liquid but rather, a pudding-like consistency that was possible sip, but not as effective and satisfying as eating with a spoon! And they tasted great! Had no idea that was even possible.