How Much Tea Do You Consume Per Day?

teabythesea
New user

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Right now I'm drinking two to three pots of pu'er in the morning off of the same initial leaves, so I don't over caffeinate. Sometimes I'll do a two steep oolong in the afternoon, but usually I do a little bit of matcha. I try not to drink tea too far into the evenings unless it's a much lower caffeine content, otherwise I'm up all night!
Kupuntu

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:59 am

All my tea sessions are 8g sessions and I tend to do one on workdays, two on Friday, three on Saturday and one on Sunday. 8-24g a day. 24g days are kind of heavy so I've been thinking about limiting myself to two sessions a day.
Sarah

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Probably only 3-4 cups per day. A lot less than most people here, I'm sure!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Sarah wrote:
Not if you use 16-ounce cups! Cheers
Psyck

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 pm
Sarah wrote:
Not if you use 16-ounce cups! Cheers
That would be more of a mug than a cup :)
When a person mentions a cup, I assume 8-ounce/240ml unless the context suggests otherwise.
bluerose
New user

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:42 pm

My must are 2cups of green tea anx 2 cups of black tea.Its my work drink then at home a cup of mint/camomiletea ....
Noonie

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Now that I'm working from home for the rest of 2020 (at least) I'm drinking a little more tea than normal. It has been great! However, and although I'm not generally a person who is worried about tea consumption and health, I don't want to find that after months of drinking more tea than I was previously drinking that I'm harmed my gut or something.

While I usually drink a variety of tea, I always have one nice session with Sencha. If I moved that up to two sessions (5-6g of leaf per session), is that perhaps too much green tea, or sencha (or gyokuro), is there a limit on how much green (Japanese specifically) that one should drink? I had some other tea on hand previously (mainly oolongs, and some sheng) that I've run out of and I have enough sencha, ripe and aged sheng to go for a long time.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Noonie wrote:
Now that I'm working from home for the rest of 2020 (at least) I'm drinking a little more tea than normal. It has been great! However, and although I'm not generally a person who is worried about tea consumption and health, I don't want to find that after months of drinking more tea than I was previously drinking that I'm harmed my gut or something.

While I usually drink a variety of tea, I always have one nice session with Sencha. If I moved that up to two sessions (5-6g of leaf per session), is that perhaps too much green tea, or sencha (or gyokuro), is there a limit on how much green (Japanese specifically) that one should drink? I had some other tea on hand previously (mainly oolongs, and some sheng) that I've run out of and I have enough sencha, ripe and aged sheng to go for a long time.
@Noonie moved your new topic here, since this thread already discusses daily tea consumption.
I typically enjoy 12g of green or oolong in the morning these days, and +-6g of gyokuro, yancha, pu’erh etc in the late afternoon on average. No issues.
Noonie

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 am

Victoria wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 pm
Noonie wrote:

Noonie moved your new topic here, since this thread already discusses daily tea consumption.
I typically enjoy 12g of green or oolong in the morning these days, and +-6g of gyokuro, yancha, pu’erh etc in the late afternoon on average. No issues.
Thanks for moving this @Victoria. That's very close to what I'm drinking so it's good to hear nothing negative on your end. I realize it's a very individual question, however. Once I finish some roasted Dong Ding I'm going to open up a Gyokuro and see how it goes.
mbanu

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 pm

I've made an active effort to shrink everything that I can. The trend for gongfu has actually helped a lot here, because you can get glass and ceramic teapots with an 8 oz. or less pot size; nothing stopping someone from using the pot to brew a standard cup of tea instead of gongfu. :) The big challenge with the smaller sizes is usually keeping good heat retention with black teas. I've found that tea cozies are useful here, although coming up with a really small one can require some creativity.

When combined with the temptations of a tea-hobbyist, a small pot size balances out to more reasonable tea-quantity levels. :)
klepto

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 pm

4-5grams in the morning and late at night. I'm beginning to really enjoy those sessions because I'm so focused on picking up all the nuances in the tea that I get very relaxed after a while which will keep the stress off you. Especially if you find some tea that is especially relaxing.
Sleeping

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm

These days, I usually have a session of green after breakfast and lately oolong or puer after lunch. I tend to resteep more times than I probably need to. For a little while I was doing a cold brew before breakfast with a green that I just couldn't do hot, but lately I've been doing a cup of coffee. If I feel like the coffee gets me really riled, I might skip the after-breakfast tea. I also have an herbal tea before bed.

If anyone is interested (or worried about their tea consumption), there are several videos that discuss the health effects of tea on nutritionfacts.org. Most of the videos address the health benefits of tea, but I found one that looks at heavy metal contamination. Here is the link: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-c ... on-of-tea/

The sources that the video cites are included on the page. One thing to keep in mind is that several of these studies use tea bags that can be purchased at most supermarkets.

And as with most nutritional advice, take it with a grain of salt. :D
thommes

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm

I pretty much do one session all day. About 8g in the morning and steep it until it runs out. There are days when I'll do two teas, because the tea doesn't last as many steepings. I typically drink scotch or flavored water in the evenings.
Last edited by thommes on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeaTotaling

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 am

I have found consuming tea 2-3 times per week, produces very profound sessions. Highly enjoyable! I typically use about 8-12g's per session. I do not consume any other caffeinated beverages. Attuning one's body has incredibly satisfying benefits.
joelbct

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm

I usually have 14 to 21g per day. I make tea 4 to 6x per day, when possible. 3.5g at a time.
There is no self wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:12 am
Back when I was in university, especially in winter, I went as far as 50g a day.
That, my friend, is intense.