What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
klepto

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:05 pm

Ordering from Wistaria's site in english is a frustrating experience. As I fill out the shipping info, half of it is in chinese.
I get my order and none of it except for the Tai He is labelled. All the tea bowls were thrown into a bag and the wrappers
were torn so good luck trying to figure out which tea is which. If I was in Taipei I would for sure visit and possibly buy their
teas. The one positive is that DHL shipping is great.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:42 pm

klepto wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:05 pm
Ordering from Wistaria's site in english is a frustrating experience. As I fill out the shipping info, half of it is in chinese.
I get my order and none of it except for the Tai He is labelled. All the tea bowls were thrown into a bag and the wrappers
were torn so good luck trying to figure out which tea is which. If I was in Taipei I would for sure visit and possibly buy their
teas. The one positive is that DHL shipping is great.
Would be nice to see a photo, maybe you can you share.
klepto

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 pm

I took out the bowls from the shredded wrappers and put them in some paper but I can show my recent order.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:07 pm

@klepto so if you only bought two teas, should be easy to figure out which is which :) . I made an order from a shop in Singapore and was also surprised how loosely wrapped each tea was, with tea dust all over the place. Basically really sloppy, luckily their web site made it easy to figure out what each tea was.
klepto

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:07 pm
klepto so if you only bought two teas, should be easy to figure out which is which :) . I made an order from a shop in Singapore and was also surprised how loosely wrapped each tea was, with tea dust all over the place. Basically really sloppy, luckily their web site made it easy to figure out what each tea was.
I did that with sanhetang puerh, basically using google search and their website. As far as Wistaria I bought like 7 or so teas :(
.m.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:22 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm
Finally getting teas from Emmett (Yang Qing Hao). Shipping was fast to California and only took 7 days for direct shipment from Taiwan using just EMS. First up...the 2006 Chawangshu. It's a Yiwu tea. At 85 cents per gram, is it better than the cheaper 2003 Wistaria ZiPin also from Yiwu? For me...nope...and I have drunk this tea for 3 consecutive days so that I don't make the mistake of prematurely judging the tea. It is not a sweet tea but it has a sweet and interesting aftertaste that linger in my tongue and mouth for more than 1 hour after my tea session. The Qi was warm but not stimulating. It tasted more like the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun (Nannuo area) than a Yiwu tea. For the price of 1 cake (500gm), I can buy 900 gm of loose leaf Wistaria Zi Yun. The Wistaria Zi Yun is also a very good "dry" tea with similar taste profiles and much stronger Qi.

Bottom line: It's a good tea but overrated. Even at similar price, I would rather drink the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun.
Thank you for the review. I've been contemplating getting a cake of it, as it is one of the cheaper higher end YQH teas and it hasn't significantly increased in price in the last few years. As far as Guafengzhai goes, it's actually one of the cheapest offerings out there. But still a hell of a lot of money to buy a cake blindly... The lack of shipping options have held me back. According to other reviews i've seen, it's supposed to be more subtle kind of tea...
pantry

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:29 am

klepto wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:53 pm
I took out the bowls from the shredded wrappers and put them in some paper but I can show my recent order.
@klepto
Sorry to hear that. If you post images of the shredded wrappers I can tell you which one is which. You can also go back to their website and compare the images.
pantry

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 am

.m. wrote:
vuanguyen wrote:
Finally getting teas from Emmett (Yang Qing Hao). Shipping was fast to California and only took 7 days for direct shipment from Taiwan using just EMS. First up...the 2006 Chawangshu. It's a Yiwu tea. At 85 cents per gram, is it better than the cheaper 2003 Wistaria ZiPin also from Yiwu? For me...nope...and I have drunk this tea for 3 consecutive days so that I don't make the mistake of prematurely judging the tea. It is not a sweet tea but it has a sweet and interesting aftertaste that linger in my tongue and mouth for more than 1 hour after my tea session. The Qi was warm but not stimulating. It tasted more like the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun (Nannuo area) than a Yiwu tea. For the price of 1 cake (500gm), I can buy 900 gm of loose leaf Wistaria Zi Yun. The Wistaria Zi Yun is also a very good "dry" tea with similar taste profiles and much stronger Qi.

Bottom line: It's a good tea but overrated. Even at similar price, I would rather drink the Wistaria 2004 Zi Yun.
Thank you for the review. I've been contemplating getting a cake of it, as it is one of the cheaper higher end YQH teas and it hasn't significantly increased in price in the last few years. As far as Guafengzhai goes, it's actually one of the cheapest offerings out there. But still a hell of a lot of money to buy a cake blindly... The lack of shipping options have held me back. According to other reviews i've seen, it's supposed to be more subtle kind of tea...
Personally I don’t think the two teas are comparable just because both are from Yiwu. They are quite different. However, I tong’d up on Zi Pin while regret getting a cake of YQH CWS. I think it’s a personal preference. There are plenty of drinkers who would prefer YQH.
sqt

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54 am

XG 01 iron cake last night. Excellent tea, its almost like a good scotch masquerading as sheng.

Some maocha this morning, 2015(?) Wild Kunlu from TDC.
OCTO

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 am

Year 1999/2000 Kunming 8668 Red Mark Iron Beeng (Batch #1, Competition Batch)

IMG_4318.jpg
IMG_4318.jpg (299.08 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
vuanguyen

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:54 am

.m. wrote:
vuanguyen wrote:

@.m.

Please don't take my words for it. As you already know that taste is so subjective. You can sample YQH teas before buying. I only know about this after buying their cakes. You can email Emmett directly emet75@msn.com and buy sample teas.
Last edited by vuanguyen on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
vuanguyen

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 am

pantry wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:44 am
.m. wrote:
vuanguyen wrote:

Personally I don’t think the two teas are comparable just because both are from Yiwu. They are quite different. However, I tong’d up on Zi Pin while regret getting a cake of YQH CWS. I think it’s a personal preference. There are plenty of drinkers who would prefer YQH.
@pantry

Sorry. My experience in semi aged puers are very limited . All I know is Wistaria teas so I really don't know what other tea I can compare it with. I think YQH Chawangshu tasted more like Wistaria Zi Yun (Nannuo) than Zi Pin (Yiwu) though :)
Last edited by vuanguyen on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vuanguyen

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 am

OCTO wrote:
@OCTO

Is this a good tea? How does it taste?
Is this similar to this cake sold on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Fine-Qu ... 2657407487
.m.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:12 pm

OCTO

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:22 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 am
OCTO wrote:
OCTO

Is this a good tea? How does it taste?
Is this similar to this cake sold on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Fine-Qu ... 2657407487
@vuanguyen

Yes. It's the same tea. Taste is amazing and very calming to drink. Deep aftertaste that lingers on inside your throat and at the back of your tongue. The fragrance that stays in your nose almost makes every breath you breathe aromatic.. hahahahaha..... Hard to put them in words.

Cheers!!