What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 pm

klepto wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm
EoT's 2019 Spring "Singularity" Gushu Puerh Tea, I left the gaiwan lid on between steepings and it went bitter on me so I can tell you what it really tastes like. :oops:
It happened! In fact, I can totally imagine how it tasted like when brewing young sheng with lid on :mrgreen:
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:47 pm

pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:
EoT's 2019 Spring "Singularity" Gushu Puerh Tea, I left the gaiwan lid on between steepings and it went bitter on me so I can tell you what it really tastes like. :oops:
It happened! In fact, I can totally imagine how it tasted like when brewing young sheng with lid on :mrgreen:
@pantry 😂. I don't mind a little bite! Let's me know I'm still alive.
klepto

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:13 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:
pantry 😂. I don't mind a little bite! Let's me know I'm still alive.
:twisted: It was all bite and no flavor :(
TeaTotaling

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:21 pm

klepto wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
pantry wrote:

Sounds like a feisty one! Throw it in the 🌲 and tell the bitterness to pipe down! Mute City Pines.
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 pm

klepto wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
pantry wrote:

Awww...try again with a Gaiwan. If it's still the same, maybe the fault is with the tea :lol:

Woke up feeling foggy today. Just had some dan cong for lunch...thinking about a sheng for the afternoon...what to brew...what to brew...
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 pm

Working late into the evening with Wistaria's Tai He 2005 as my only companion
Noonie

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 am

pantry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Working late into the evening with Wistaria's Tai He 2005 as my only companion
I'm sure she is a worth companion!
klepto

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm

I've been trying EoT puerh samples early in the morning and late at night. I just had some then gave my porcelain teaware a bath of citric acid and baking soda. The gaiwan bowl slipped out of my towel and wet hands. I could feel myself saying Noooo, but luckily it was still balanced on the tea towel. I had a mini heart attack. My Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Gaiwan from M&L is my favorite gaiwan and I can't bear to lose it :cry:
pantry

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 pm

klepto wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm
I've been trying EoT puerh samples early in the morning and late at night. I just had some then gave my porcelain teaware a bath of citric acid and baking soda. The gaiwan bowl slipped out of my towel and wet hands. I could feel myself saying Noooo, but luckily it was still balanced on the tea towel. I had a mini heart attack. My Little Horseshoe Tianbai Jingdezhen Gaiwan from M&L is my favorite gaiwan and I can't bear to lose it :cry:
Not only that, waiting for a new one to ship might take a while! Glad it was safe!
pantry

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Cracked open “the thing still is...” from w2t tea club today. It was quite flavorless the first 3-4 brews. When I tried pushing it, it just became veggie soup. I don’t remember it being like this last year. Hmm...
debunix

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:49 am

klepto wrote:
Remember those overly powerful infusions can often be rescued by diluting them. When you're using a small cup for your gongfu session, you may need to pour it into a larger vessel, occasionally a much larger vessel (chawan/matcha bowl!), and add more hot water to dilute to taste. For a fine young EoT puerh, it might be delicious enough to be worth the effort.

I once got thoroughly distracted while preparing a flash infusion of an aggressive young sheng during a tasting session, and a 10 second infusion became 90 seconds. I hadn't realized dilution's power to rescue moments like that yet, but that tea did become one of my favorites in spite of that.
Dresden

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Been working my way through a 2014 Menghai V93 tuo for the last few days. Nothing earth shattering but still a nice solid dailly brew. Smooth and clean with no wo dui whatsoever.
vuanguyen

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:01 am

After 3 month of waiting, my teas from Essence of Teas have finally arrived. The 2001 Mengsa Old Tree was a fantastic tea! It was very sweet. I could not taste or smell any smoke. It also had good stamina. I was able to get 10 steeps. But the best thing about this tea was the euphoria. I was giggling the whole 1 hour session.

I am new to semi aged puer teas and just started drinking them 3 month ago. My friend at work introduced me to Wistaria teas. I thought Wistaria teas were good and bought a lot of cakes from them . But now I don't think any of them can stand toe to toe with this tea. I would pay even if the price were 3x higher. What a value! This tea is so underrated. I am so glad I bought a cake though. I want to buy a tong but it's all sold out :( Thank you David @TheEssenceofTea for the recommendation.

IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2467.jpg (278.06 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg (215.05 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
AgedS

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am

vuanguyen wrote:
After 3 month of waiting, my teas from Essence of Teas have finally arrived. The 2001 Mengsa Old Tree was a fantastic tea! It was very sweet. I could not taste or smell any smoke. It also had good stamina. I was able to get 10 steeps. But the best thing about this tea was the euphoria. I was giggling the whole 1 hour session.

I am new to semi aged puer teas and just started drinking them 3 month ago. My friend at work introduced me to Wistaria teas. I thought Wistaria teas were good and bought a lot of cakes from them . But now I don't think any of them can stand toe to toe with this tea. I would pay even if the price were 3x higher. What a value! This tea is so underrated. I am so glad I bought a cake though. I want to buy a tong but it's all sold out :( Thank you David @TheEssenceofTea for the recommendation.
Oooh, I'm envious that you have yours. Mine has been sitting in San Francisco customs for over a week now (so much for ems)...but I did order the tong :D . Looking forward to trying that out, hopefully soon.
vuanguyen

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:29 pm

AgedS wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am
vuanguyen wrote:

I am new to semi aged puer teas and just started drinking them 3 month ago. My friend at work introduced me to Wistaria teas. I thought Wistaria teas were good and bought a lot of cakes from them . But now I don't think any of them can stand toe to toe with this tea. I would pay even if the price were 3x higher. What a value! This tea is so underrated. I am so glad I bought a cake though. I want to buy a tong but it's all sold out :( Thank you David TheEssenceofTea for the recommendation.
Oooh, I'm envious that you have yours. Mine has been sitting in San Francisco customs for over a week now (so much for ems)...but I did order the tong :D . Looking forward to trying that out, hopefully soon.

I tasted the tea again today. For some reason it’s just an average tea. More bitterness and less sweet. Much less body warmth and happy feeling. This is a blend tea. And like all blend tea, sometime you get the good part and sometime you don’t. I think 1 cake is enough :)

I’m going to buy a ton of single tree teas from Hojo and age them. I don’t think I can find single tree semi aged tea. If there is such a thing, it will be very expensive.