What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
pantry

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 pm

klepto wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:02 pm
pantry Hoot my EoT haul came in and I thought I'd have to wait a couple more months to see it. Btw that mushroom looking thing looks intimidating :D
Great! Please share here how you like the tea! I still haven't ordered any of their new tea from this year, as the long shipping time is wearing me out.

I just received some vintage cups I ordered back in March...I forgot I'm a germaphobe. Never again.
klepto

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:19 pm

pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:
pantry Hoot my EoT haul came in and I thought I'd have to wait a couple more months to see it. Btw that mushroom looking thing looks intimidating :D
Great! Please share here how you like the tea! I still haven't ordered any of their new tea from this year, as the long shipping time is wearing me out.

I just received some vintage cups I ordered back in March...I forgot I'm a germaphobe. Never again.
Cracked open my very first puerh cake: 2018 Eot Wuliang Wild, smelled the lid of my porcelain gaiwan, Wow crazy creamy fruit smell and the tea itself tasted like a creamsicle but after a few round that taste showed up at the front and sometimes at the back. It was coming and going in waves. I bought 2 cakes blind based on my favorite taste profile and damn if I didn't pick a winner. I sounded like Don from Mei Leaf there but it really did taste like that. @pantry Btw.. vintage cups scare me.. I'd end up bleaching the hell out of them before use :D
EoTcake.jpg
EoTcake.jpg (306.82 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
pantry

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 pm

klepto wrote:
pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:

Cracked open my very first puerh cake: 2018 Eot Wuliang Wild, smelled the lid of my porcelain gaiwan, Wow crazy creamy fruit smell and the tea itself tasted like a creamsicle but after a few round that taste showed up at the front and sometimes at the back. It was coming and going in waves. I bought 2 cakes blind based on my favorite taste profile and damn if I didn't pick a winner. I sounded like Don from Mei Leaf there but it really did taste like that. pantry Btw.. vintage cups scare me.. I'd end up bleaching the hell out of them before use :D

I soaped and boiled them :? ...unfortunately bought quite a few. I’m hoping that all organic matters are long dead.

Congrats on your first cake! Excited for you. I’m glad you gave puerh another chance and got into it :D
Noonie

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 pm

pantry wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 pm
klepto wrote:
pantry wrote:

Cracked open my very first puerh cake: 2018 Eot Wuliang Wild, smelled the lid of my porcelain gaiwan, Wow crazy creamy fruit smell and the tea itself tasted like a creamsicle but after a few round that taste showed up at the front and sometimes at the back. It was coming and going in waves. I bought 2 cakes blind based on my favorite taste profile and damn if I didn't pick a winner. I sounded like Don from Mei Leaf there but it really did taste like that. pantry Btw.. vintage cups scare me.. I'd end up bleaching the hell out of them before use :D

I soaped and boiled them :? ...unfortunately bought quite a few. I’m hoping that all organic matters are long dead.

Congrats on your first cake! Excited for you. I’m glad you gave puerh another chance and got into it :D
Enjoy your Pu’er journey!
mrmopu

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 pm

klepto,

That's a damn good cake. Enjoy the journey.
DailyTX

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:31 am

pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:

@pantry
That’s very hopeful, I am still waiting for my vintage cups ordered towards the end of March. And the package was reshipped in early April for some reason. If shipping was faster, I think I would order more stuff from them :?
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 am

DailyTX wrote:
pantry wrote:
klepto wrote:

pantry
That’s very hopeful, I am still waiting for my vintage cups ordered towards the end of March. And the package was reshipped in early April for some reason. If shipping was faster, I think I would order more stuff from them :?
There's hope! Mine was shipped mid March. I have more packages, some shipped before these cups, that are still in Shanghai!
Btw, I'm happy to sell off some of these vintage cups :mrgreen: . Thanks to retail therapy, I ordered more than what I needed :lol:
DailyTX

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 am

pantry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 am
DailyTX wrote:
pantry wrote:

pantry
There's hope! Mine was shipped mid March. I have more packages, some shipped before these cups, that are still in Shanghai!
Btw, I'm happy to sell off some of these vintage cups :mrgreen: . Thanks to retail therapy, I ordered more than what I needed :lol:
@pantry
Thanks for the offer. I offered a plate and 4 cups from them. Hopefully everything will be intact. Which cups did you order?
pantry

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:50 am

@DailyTX I got a mix of double happiness, blue lines, and celadon teacups!
DailyTX

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 am

pantry wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:50 am
DailyTX I got a mix of double happiness, blue lines, and celadon teacups!
@pantry
A fine choice!
Rui

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am

sqt wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:31 pm
Rui wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:24 am
2012 Chen Sheng Hao Golden Ban Zhang bought from King Tea in China. :D
What is your take on it? I've tried a few of the higher ends CSH Ban Zhang products and have found them to vary quite a bit.
This Ban Zhange pu'er is fine but I definitely prefer their top of the range although these are quite expensive. I do have their LBZ for 2010 and it is really out of this world:

https://kingteamall.com/collections/201 ... -sheng-cha

Although I paid less then one third of the current price. :D

They have about 3 to 4 grades of pu'er teas and this one is probably #2 Ban Zhang out of 3 different Ban Zhang teas for that year.

#1 https://kingteamall.com/products/2012-c ... d470&_ss=r
#2 https://kingteamall.com/products/2012-c ... d470&_ss=r
#3 https://kingteamall.com/products/2012-c ... d470&_ss=r

This one is #2 as I said but they have gone up a lot in price since I bought it.
Rui

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:25 am

Sipping 2016 Autumn Yibang from Yunnan Sourcing. As usual I enjoy shengs from Yibang. :lol:
sqt

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:51 am

Rui wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am

This Ban Zhange pu'er is fine but I definitely prefer their top of the range although these are quite expensive. I do have their LBZ for 2010 and it is really out of this world:

https://kingteamall.com/collections/201 ... -sheng-cha

Although I paid less then one third of the current price. :D
Thanks for the input Rui. I have a cake of the 2012 Gold but haven't cracked into it yet (also acquired for far less).

I agree about the 2010 brick, it is the best of the CSH banzhangs that I have tried. There is a 2017 "10 year anniversary limited edition" brick that also comes close.

Lastly, even though that 2012 silver brick is the lowest grade for the year and that is apparent in the taste, I quite like the extra bitterness that it brings compared to the others. I suspect there may be some LME in there.
Balthazar

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm

vuanguyen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:12 am
Balthazar I think the sample I got from Wistaria is the same as your tea...the Tibetian flame. I received a reply email from Wistaria tea house saying that the tea was made by a company "下關茶廠 ,Yun-nan Province, China". They also attached the following 3 pictures. They are selling it for 1500 NTD each if you want to buy. It looks a little bit new for a tea made in 2000 though :?:

I had a chance to sample the tea a third time. It tasted to me now like a wild tea... like the one offered by Denong tea house (https://www.denongtea.com/collections/d ... ripe-puerh).
Yeah, that's Xiaguan alright... Funny that it's the same product! I was able to get mine quite a bit cheaper back when I bought it and probably won't be picking up any more (although Wistaria's price is really fair considering the age!), but thanks for sharing the info :)
klepto

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:21 pm

EoT's 2019 Spring "Singularity" Gushu Puerh Tea, I left the gaiwan lid on between steepings and it went bitter on me so I can tell you what it really tastes like. :oops: