Yixing

archimon

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 pm
archimon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:51 pm
I may end up going with the more expensive pot, so I'd like to be sure.
ZAG has a very good reputation, so I'd just ask them if they can be more specific about the age.

You could also ask in this Facebook group for more information, but you cannot do this before the purchase (you need to write your name on a piece of paper and take a photo of it together with the pot): https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2/ I would always ask them especially if the pot was that expensive.
Done! Hopefully they'll respond to all three of the requests I've submitted today, haha. Thanks for your help so far!
Chadrinkincat

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:41 pm
It could easily be a mistake in labeling the pot or I could be mistaken about clay. The price suggest it is a coated pot though.
Yep, that's true. But the craftsmanship is also not that good.
This is not one of their better pots for sure. The lid on this one looks sorta like F2 which is a possibility since not every pot in that section is F1. Its probably best to confirm factory for the cheaper pots like this one. This doesn’t imply that they don’t know what they’re selling or being dishonest.

This is an example of an F2 pot in that section. http://zishaartgallery.com/product/西施壶-za0027/
TeaTotaling

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:06 pm

archimon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:16 pm
Mark-S wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 pm
archimon wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:51 pm
I may end up going with the more expensive pot, so I'd like to be sure.
ZAG has a very good reputation, so I'd just ask them if they can be more specific about the age.

You could also ask in this Facebook group for more information, but you cannot do this before the purchase (you need to write your name on a piece of paper and take a photo of it together with the pot): https://www.facebook.com/groups/teapot2/ I would always ask them especially if the pot was that expensive.
Done! Hopefully they'll respond to all three of the requests I've submitted today, haha. Thanks for your help so far!
Yes, yes, yes! Having done business with them recently, ask questions, ask all the questions! They have been very transparent in my dealings. They are receptive to questions, so don’t hesitate, and don’t rush.
Mark-S

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:57 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:35 pm
The lid on this one looks sorta like F2 which is a possibility since not every pot in that section is F1.
Oh, I did not know that. Thanks for the warning. :)
archimon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 am

@Chadrinkincat @Mark-S

Alright, I have updates! Suffice it to say that Chadrinkincat's instincts were good.

Here's the reply regarding the less expensive pot:
Thanks for your enquiry.
Yes, this is a F1 Teapot from green label period. The capacity is around 80~ 85ml.
It is actually a Zini Teapot with Hongni coating both on the inside and outside of the pot.
Seemingly it is at least F1. How good a pot is this or the 內紫外紅 style for tea drinking? My current vibe is that most of you would say it's best just to buy the $400 pot or stick to a gaiwan for now, following the buy less but buy better philosophy, but I figured I'd check :) (Slightly revised this for clarity)

Here's the reply regarding the second pot:
As for Teapot ZA0103, it is a pure Hong ni teapot from mid 70s
I asked whether this was the pre-77 Hongni or post-77. I think this means pre-77 switch, though I guess 77 might be considered part of the mid-70's and the switch presumably happened at some point during that year.
Last edited by archimon on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark-S

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:25 am

@archimon

I think it's 內外淋红 and not 內紫外紅. I am using a 40ml Zini pot with Hongni on the inside/outside at the moment. It cost me about $100 and it's also from the green label period. However, the capacity of your pot is more sought after so the price from ZAG is ok in my opinion. The teapot behaves differently from Hongni. I would say it's somewhere between both clays... maybe more like Hongni... but you better ask the clay experts. :lol: I don't regret my purchase.
archimon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:31 am

Mark-S wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:25 am
archimon

I think it's 內外淋红 and not 內紫外紅. I am using a 40ml Zini pot with Hongni on the inside/outside at the moment. It cost me about $100 and it's also from the green label period. However, the capacity of your pot is more sought after so the price from ZAG is ok in my opinion. The teapot behaves differently from Hongni. I would say it's somewhere between both clays... maybe more like Hongni... but you better ask the clay experts. :lol: I don't regret my purchase.
Yes, sorry again for using unclear wording. I was wondering whether one or the other of those two types of non-pure Hongni would still be worth it. I'm curious to see what others think, but I'm encouraged to hear that you're happy with yours! What kind of tea do you typically drink with it?
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:35 am

@archimon Neiwailinjiang is definitely a good option and cheaper alternative to Hongni. Behaves almost the same in my experience, but will gather a nice patina faster than Hongni.
Mark-S

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am

@archimon

I'm in the testing phase right now, but it works good for heavily oxidized / rolled Taiwanese oolongs in my opinion. :)
archimon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 am

Bok wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:35 am
Neiwailinjiang is definitely a good option and cheaper alternative to Hongni. Behaves almost the same in my experience, but will gather a nice patina faster than Hongni.
Glad to hear this! Thanks for weighing in - your opinion holds a lot of weight. I think I may go ahead and purchase the pot, since I'd really like to avoid worrying about breaking a $400+ one before playing around for a while.

Mark-S wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am
I'm in the testing phase right now, but it works good for heavily oxidized / rolled Taiwanese oolongs in my opinion. :)

Well I've decided to take the leap, so maybe we can compare notes down the line! :)
Chadrinkincat

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am

@archimon
Glad to hear I wasn’t wrong about the clay type.

Nothing wrong with going for the cheaper pot. You can always upgrade to something nicer or just stick with this one if its satisfies your needs.
archimon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:12 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am
archimon
Glad to hear I wasn’t wrong about the clay type.

Nothing wrong with going for the cheaper pot. You can always upgrade to something nicer or just stick with this one if its satisfies your needs.
Glad to hear you think it's not a bad choice! Looking forward to upgrading from my cheapy stuff.
Bok
Vendor

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 am

also does not hurt to have more than one pot... :lol:
pantry

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 am

Bok wrote:
It hurts my wallet, @Bok
faj

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:54 am

pantry wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 am
Bok wrote:
It hurts my wallet, Bok
I remember reading somewhere about a study that tended to demonstrate that, in the brain, purchase decisions are made by subconsciously weighing the pain of parting with your money against the pain of not getting what you want. You have to face it : it hurts either way... :mrgreen: