High-Quality Tea Subscriptions?

pantry

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 am

@Balthazar any picks for the new EoT lineup? Been wanting to get some samplers, especially the gaogan ones. But the slow shipping has me weary
klepto

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 pm

2018 Bamboo Spring Raw Puerh - 100g × 1
2018 Eot Wuliang Wild - 400g cake × 1
2018 Spring "Piercing the Illusion" Puerh Tea - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2019 Spring "Singularity" Gushu Puerh Tea - 25g Sample × 1
2019 Yao Zhu Di - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2020 Boundless Puerh Tea - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2020 Jinggu Forest - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2020 Secret Forest Wild - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2020 Tian Men Shan GaoGan - 25g SAMPLE × 1
2020 Xu Jia Liang Zi - 25g SAMPLE × 1

This is my most recent order on June 4th and Shanghai finally put it on a plane
so USPS should give it to me in 4-5 days.
DailyTX

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:26 pm

klepto wrote:
That’s pretty quick. I am still waiting for my order from late March. It went to Shanghai, and now stuck in Beijing since mid May...
Last edited by Victoria on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: cleaned up quote
klepto

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:48 pm

DailyTX wrote:
klepto wrote:
That’s pretty quick. I am still waiting for my order from late March. It went to Shanghai, and now stuck in Beijing since mid May...
Oof, that hurts. Are these delays because of the gigantic backlog of shipping due to covid 19 or is it just regular chinese shipping?
pantry

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:53 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Same here. Looks like west coast is taking longer, though new shipments seem to be getting priority.

@klepto good selection! The wild wuliang is beautiful for its price
klepto

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm

pantry wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
Same here. Looks like west coast is taking longer, though new shipments seem to be getting priority.

klepto good selection! The wild wuliang is beautiful for its price
Heyo, I did a bit of research on the two cakes I bought and 'supposedly' they have the flavor profile I like. I also wanted to try the most recent offerings to find out which I would like so I can buy some cakes later. Its too bad that more companies don't send their products via DHL. I've had products send to me from friggin timbuktu and it got here fast :D.
TeaTotaling

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 pm

@klepto nice variety pack from EoT!

So far, I've tried the 2001 Mengsa, 2008 Qianjiazhai Wild, 2003 "Zhang Xiang Qing Bing", and 2004 "Smokey" Spring Buds. The last two were kindly included samples. All have been nice, but the 2008 Qianjiazhai Wild is excellent. I'm finding I really like quality, Aged Wild Sheng.

I do have a cake of the 2018 Spring Gedeng Guoyoulin, I haven't sampled yet, but I am very much looking forward to it!

Let us know how you like your allotment once it arrives and you've had a chance to dive in 🤙🏻

PS DHL International is the way to go if it's offered and you don't mind paying more. Lighting quick, like less than a week ⚡️
Balthazar

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:52 pm

pantry wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 am
Balthazar any picks for the new EoT lineup? Been wanting to get some samplers, especially the gaogan ones. But the slow shipping has me weary
Haven't tried any of those, unfortunately. I rarely buy sheng that's less than 10 years old, as my body disagrees with it.

As for shipping, it seems to vary a lot, but I have been receiving packages (including from EoT, shipped from Kunming) at almost normal speed for the last two months.
TeaTotaling

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:03 pm

@Balthazar Have you experienced any of the Aged Sheng offerings I listed above your last comment?
Balthazar

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:11 pm

@TeaTotaling: Yeah, of those I've tried the 2001 Mengsa, 2008 Qianjiazhai Wild and the 2003 "Zhang Xiang Qing Bing". The first I bought a cake of unsampled. Great stuff for the price. Only had 25 grams of the wild tea, but spread it over three sessions. I agree, it's pretty darned great, but it's a good example of a tea that's all about the energy and not the flavor imo. So it's probably not something I would recommend to a new drinker. The Zhang Xiang Qing Bing was included as a free sample. I bought two cakes immediately after trying it (they're on their way in the post). I'm a huge fan of HK storage and at that pricepoint it's probably some of the best I've had (at least since back when I was living in HK). Might even buy a couple more down the line.
pantry

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:36 pm

@TeaTotaling
Let me know what you think about the 2018 Gedeng. I ordered some samples a while back but still stuck in shipping. I absolutely love the Spring '18 Gedeng gushu from a different source but it's way more expensive. I'm curious to compare :lol:
TeaTotaling

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Balthazar wrote:
TeaTotaling: Yeah, of those I've tried the 2001 Mengsa, 2008 Qianjiazhai Wild and the 2003 "Zhang Xiang Qing Bing". The first I bought a cake of unsampled. Great stuff for the price. Only had 25 grams of the wild tea, but spread it over three sessions. I agree, it's pretty darned great, but it's a good example of a tea that's all about the energy and not the flavor imo. So it's probably not something I would recommend to a new drinker. The Zhang Xiang Qing Bing was included as a free sample. I bought two cakes immediately after trying it (they're on their way in the post). I'm a huge fan of HK storage and at that pricepoint it's probably some of the best I've had (at least since back when I was living in HK). Might even buy a couple more down the line.
Excellent! I was quite pleased with the Zhang Xiang Qing Bing as well. From what I remember of the sample, I think I slightly prefer it to the Mengsa, overall. You are right about the Qianjiazhai, energy is the driving force.

Thank you for the insight!
pantry

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Balthazar wrote:
TeaTotaling: Yeah, of those I've tried the 2001 Mengsa, 2008 Qianjiazhai Wild and the 2003 "Zhang Xiang Qing Bing". The first I bought a cake of unsampled. Great stuff for the price. Only had 25 grams of the wild tea, but spread it over three sessions. I agree, it's pretty darned great, but it's a good example of a tea that's all about the energy and not the flavor imo. So it's probably not something I would recommend to a new drinker. The Zhang Xiang Qing Bing was included as a free sample. I bought two cakes immediately after trying it (they're on their way in the post). I'm a huge fan of HK storage and at that pricepoint it's probably some of the best I've had (at least since back when I was living in HK). Might even buy a couple more down the line.
I ended up buying the Mengsa cake blind due to peer pressure here :lol:
It was a good call because the tea was sold out pretty soon after. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

I had qianjiazhai samples before, but felt the opposite on this one. I like drinking this tea, but don't recall getting any body feel. Perhaps tea energy could manifest differently for different individuals, even for those who are sensitive to it 🍵
DailyTX

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 pm

pantry wrote:
DailyTX wrote:

klepto good selection! The wild wuliang is beautiful for its price
@pantry
Thank you for normalizing the west coast wait time. At first, I was curious if it has anything to do with the order. I did order an antique plate from them, and I heard China has restrictions around antiques leaving China. But then, those are not valuable stuff...
Balthazar

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:35 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 pm
Excellent! I was quite pleased with the Zhang Xiang Qing Bing as well. From what I remember of the sample, I think I slightly prefer it to the Mengsa, overall. You are right about the Qianjiazhai, energy is the driving force.
Agreed, my preference is for the Zhang Xiang Qing Bing as well. The Mengsa probably has better leaf quality, but the storage profile of the Zhang Xiang Qing Bing is much more to my liking. I have a feeling we're in the minority on this one though. I really hope more people share their experience with the Mengsa in the "What Pu'er Are You Drinking" thread (or elsewhere), seems like quite a few forum members bought a cake.
pantry wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm
I had qianjiazhai samples before, but felt the opposite on this one. I like drinking this tea, but don't recall getting any body feel. Perhaps tea energy could manifest differently for different individuals, even for those who are sensitive to it 🍵
Yeah, I think you're definitely right about the last point. For me, the energy and overall body feel I get from a tea is fairly consistent from session to session (with only special conditions, such as having had a terrible night's sleep or an upset stomach bringing in a factor of unpredictability). But I've had many teas that others describe as either very strong or lacking in this compartment, where my experience has been completely different.

Would be interesting to hear what you think about the 2001 Mengsa once you've had a few sessions with it!