Yixing

steanze
Vendor

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am

OCTO wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:50 am

The Square base is about 180cc and the other is smaller... about 150cc. These pots are small compared to the usual pots I use regularly for PuErh.

Larger pots give you a different experience all together. Bok recently posted some observations about brewing in larger pots.

Cheers!!
I've been using a larger pot to brew green tea in the summer ;) yes, it's a different experience
Mark-S

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:17 am

TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 am
Mark-S This is amusing, but could be a rare coincidence nonetheless. The ZAG pot you like by Research-level senior craft artist-Ding Yaping is sold out!! Someone must have caught wind of all the talk and jumped on it..not a moment to lose, haha 😆

I’ll still try to find out the selling price, so we can all know for certain.
:| Would be nice though if you could find out the price.
steanze wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:38 am
Here is an example of his more creative and refined works, these I'd consider already more awesome :)

https://auction.artron.net/paimai-art5010280032/
$10,000... :) And it's not to my taste. It looks like modern art.
OCTO wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:50 am
Bok recently posted some observations about brewing in larger pots.
@Bok Do you know where you posted this?

Is this the comment on larger pots?
The most popular teas in China are green teas, which also are better brewed in larger volumes.
OCTO

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am

Mark-S wrote:

The price is about right for a pot by a Senior Artist. Clay is good, Workmanship and strength of the bends are just right. This is where the artistic eye will appreciate the beauty of this pot. It's indeed a pot befitting it's price tag.

Cheers!
Mark-S

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 am

OCTO wrote:
The price is about right for a pot by a Senior Artist. Clay is good, Workmanship and strength of the bends are just right. This is where the artistic eye will appreciate the beauty of this pot. It's indeed a pot befitting it's price tag.
I did not mean that this pot is overpriced and bad. Just that it's quite expensive and does not meet my taste because it looks like modern art to me. ;)
pantry

OCTO wrote:
Mark-S wrote:

Cheers!
What do you think of the ergonomics of the pot? i have difficulty imagining it be a practical pot to use due to angle of the handle.
pantry

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:36 am

OCTO wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:55 am

pantry
TeaTotaling

Just sharing since we were discussing about staining in DuanNi.

Here are two 80s DuanNi pots I dedicate solely to aged Shou PuErh. It stained darker over time, but with proper care and attention, the patina and staining turned out pretty nice... hahahaha.... I would bring them out to use whenever I'm in the mood to use smaller pots. Both brews up a very decent cup of tea... :D :D :D

Cheers!
Beautiful pots and patina! Love the left pot—the carving reminds me of the monkey king’s crown 🐒
Teas We Like
Vendor

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am

Mark-S wrote:

And it's not to my taste. It looks like modern art.
You are right :) it *is* modern art. Above a certain price the key distinction is between decorative vs artistic objects. Is the work exploring new aesthetic ideas? Or is it just a repetition of a widely used design that does not add any innovative elements? The higher-priced items are usually the former.
OCTO

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:39 am

Mark-S wrote:
OCTO wrote:
I did not mean that this pot is overpriced and bad. Just that it's quite expensive and does not meet my taste because it looks like modern art to me. ;)
Yup... understand what you mean... I do agree not everyone appreciates this type of design. I too have certain designs that I just cannot comprehend what the potter was thinking or trying to convey... hahahaha... it happens!

Cheers!
OCTO

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:40 am

Teas We Like wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am
Mark-S wrote:

And it's not to my taste. It looks like modern art.
You are right :) it *is* modern art. Above a certain price the key distinction is between decorative vs artistic objects. Is the work exploring new aesthetic ideas? Or is it just a repetition of a widely used design that does not add any innovative elements? The higher-priced items are usually the former.
@Teas We Like

Very well said!
Youzi

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 am

Mark-S wrote:
TeaTotaling wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 am
Mark-S This is amusing, but could be a rare coincidence nonetheless. The ZAG pot you like by Research-level senior craft artist-Ding Yaping is sold out!! Someone must have caught wind of all the talk and jumped on it..not a moment to lose, haha 😆

I’ll still try to find out the selling price, so we can all know for certain.
:| Would be nice though if you could find out the price.
The artist is a Research Level Senior Master, that's rank 5, the highest rank one can get besides the Honorific Titles to Master. Teapots made by Rank 5 Masters go for 2-3k minimum in China, for "No-name" artists.
steanze
Vendor

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 am

Youzi wrote:

The artist is a Research Level Senior Master, that's rank 5, the highest rank one can get besides the Honorific Titles to Master. Teapots made by Rank 5 Masters go for 2-3k minimum in China, for "No-name" artists.
Yes, these are the prices. It is important to distinguish however between more artistic creative designs made in small numbers, and standardized designs that such a craftsman could have done while working for F1.
OCTO

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:51 am

pantry wrote:

What do you think of the ergonomics of the pot? i have difficulty imagining it be a practical pot to use due to angle of the handle.
It looks pleasing to the eyes but won't know how it feels until you hold them in your hands. Just like what @Teas We Like said, this is a modern artistic pot that might be destined as a decorative piece rather than a practical piece for brewing. Basically you are buying a sculpture which happens to be a teapot... hahahaha....

Cheers!!
Youzi

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:53 am

DailyTX wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:28 am
Can any senior give me some input about this lid? The inner edge of the lid has a texture that reminds me of under fired clay, what do you think? Any possibility that this lid was made pre-factory?
That's basically the "Glue" Clay (Clay with more water), which is used to connect parts of the body during the full hand process. If you can see it, then it's not done well, not hidden well by the artist. I have a video of it, but cannot upload here, so you just have to use your imagination. :D
Youzi

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:59 am

steanze wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 am
Youzi wrote:

Yes, these are the prices. It is important to distinguish however between more artistic creative designs made in small numbers, and standardized designs that such a craftsman could have done while working for F1.
Yeah, sure probably he was a "nobody" during the time he made that pot, but just because he is rank 5 now, suddenly the past works of the same artist just appreciates in price too. Kinda like the Early Works of famous painters. So as usual with these things the prices for named artist stuff just makes no sense for the Western Market, but in China teapot, just like housing and art, it's another investment scheme for the rich, which is the main reason for the sky high prices currently.
steanze
Vendor

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:01 am

Youzi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:59 am

Yeah, sure probably he was a "nobody" during the time he made that pot, but just because he is rank 5 now, suddenly the past works of the same artist just appreciates in price too. Kinda like the Early Works of famous painters. So as usual with these things the prices for named artist stuff just makes no sense for the Western Market, but in China teapot, just like housing and art, it's another investment scheme for the rich, which is the main reason for the sky high prices currently.
Yes - I think an early work could be interesting if it is the craftsman's own design and reflects in some way his artistic development. However, if it is a standardized design, it is more difficult to use it as a window into the artist's growth.