steanze
Vendor

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:47 pm

TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:33 pm
Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm
TeaTotaling

Yeah, I already purchased it. It's damaged a little bit, but F1 duanni is very hard to find. I mean if you can spend $500 or something like that on a F1 pot it's not that hard but for little money it is. 8-)
I hear ya! On the flip-side, foregoing several smaller purchases could add up to one awesome F1 purchase!
We tried making that point before, but it fell on deaf ears...
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:58 pm

@steanze

Not everyone can spend thousands of dollars for teapots. ;)
TeaTotaling

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 pm

@steanze :? I see, I see. Different strokes, for different folks, I suppose.

@Mark-S You could definitely find some high quality pieces for less than $500! The thousand dollar mark typically, not always though, lands you in antique land. However, do your thing 8-)
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:49 pm

@TeaTotaling

I'd consider this pot awesome for example: http://zishaartgallery.com/product/研究级高 ... 亚平-za0164/
And it would cost me at least $2000. At least somebody here said that all pots without a price tag would cost +$2000.

The "ordinary" F1 pots they sell cost nearly $500, and are often not better than the pots I already own. This pot for example: http://zishaartgallery.com/product/%e5% ... %e5%a8%9f/

I also would like to have multiple pots worth $$$$, but I just don't have the money for it.
steanze
Vendor

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:58 pm
steanze

Not everyone can spend thousands of dollars for teapots. ;)
Nobody suggested to spend more :) the suggestion was to buy less, but better
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Mark-S wrote:
TeaTotaling

I'd consider this pot awesome for example: http://zishaartgallery.com/product/研究级高 ... 亚平-za0164/
And it would cost me at least $2000. At least somebody here said that all pots without a price tag would cost +$2000.

The "ordinary" F1 pots they sell cost nearly $500, and are often not better than the pots I already own. This pot for example: http://zishaartgallery.com/product/%e5% ... %e5%a8%9f/

I also would like to have multiple pots worth $$$$, but I just don't have the money for it.
Makes sense - I agree that that might be overpriced, and not that awesome tbh.
But for example, since you mentioned duanni, this one is under $400 and looks much better than the pot you just got... http://zishaartgallery.com/product/%e6% ... b6-za0133/
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm

steanze wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:57 pm
Makes sense - I agree that that might be overpriced, and not that awesome tbh.
But for example, since you mentioned duanni, this one is under $400 and looks much better than the pot you just got... http://zishaartgallery.com/product/%e6% ... b6-za0133/
I do like the decorated pots better as you know. So for me this pot is awesome, but I cannot spend +$2000 for it. ;) Personally, I don't like pots from F2, but there are many on Instagram and people like them. To you even many F1 pots are not worth collecting. Tastes differ.

I already got a similar duanni pot, so no need to buy another of the same design for five times more than what I paid.
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:49 pm

steanze wrote:
Nobody suggested to spend more :) the suggestion was to buy less, but better
I agree that I should not have bought about 1/3 of my pots, but I am very happy with the other 2/3. Even from the bad pots I have learned a lot, and I got most of my pots at a very low price. The bad 1/3 I can sell easily on eBay. So not a big deal in my opinion. ;)
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am
Not my favorite design but the calligraphy is interesting. Must have been very time-consuming to make a pot like this. I read somewhere that these are poems. What type of tea could be suitable?
Looks more like a modern pot to me.
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Bok wrote:
The calligraphy looks handmade to me (you can see the lines they used to get the characters in the right position), so it's not a bad pot for €40. Let's wait until I can take a look at the inside / underside and ask on Facebook.

In less then a day I am ready to ask about the export pot for Japan (the one with the side handle you were sceptical about). They seem to have used a low temperature two part epoxy, so I could remove the bad repaired spout easily. If it's a F1 pot I'll get it fixed with kintsugi, if not I'll glue it back on myself and sell it on eBay. :)
steanze
Vendor

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Bok wrote:
Mark-S wrote:
Not my favorite design but the calligraphy is interesting. Must have been very time-consuming to make a pot like this. I read somewhere that these are poems. What type of tea could be suitable?
There is no point trying to help if he does not want to be helped... as long as others don't try to learn what's handmade and what's F1 from him...
Mark-S

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 pm

steanze wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm
There is no point trying to help if he does not want to be helped... as long as others don't try to learn what's handmade and what's F1 from him...
If you tell me what exactly is wrong with my pots maybe I'll believe you. But often I only hear that my pots are just weird or do not look right. Four of the weird/wrong pots have already been confirmed. I know that you, @Bok and many others have more experience than I do, but this topic is very complex and even you make mistakes sometimes. So I am sorry if I don't believe everything I hear. I'll let you know what the collectors on Facebook say about them.
OCTO

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 pm
TeaTotaling wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:33 pm
I hear ya! On the flip-side, foregoing several smaller purchases could add up to one awesome F1 purchase!
That's true but a really awesome F1 pot would cost like... $2000 or something like that. For this money, I could also buy many good F1 pots. I pay an average of $50 for a pot so that would be 40 pots. :lol: Not that I would buy/keep that many. I think I'll keep about 10 to 15 F1 pots in the end. My goal is to get a good selection of different sizes / clays preferably from the 70's to 80's. I have not damaged a pot yet, but I already bumped some of them. Luckily, they are pretty sturdy, but I could not forgive myself for damaging a $2000 pot. ;)
@Mark-S

I agree with you that an awesome F1 would cost a bomb... but with $2000, you should be looking at at ROC or LQER pots. Like I've always said.... keep your end in mind... do whatever is comfortable with what your conscience and wallet allows. If you find yourself having difficulties manoeuvring pots without risk of damaging some, it's wise to stay away from expensive pots. I have a buddy who is extremely impatient and clumsy with pots. He almost only buys cheap and damaged pots or only use porcelain gaiwan. But he is willing to spend $200/g on good quality tea.

Again, to each their own. Who knows, one day when you look back, you would have amassed a huge collection of reference pots that will write a story of your journey in tea art. I know I have my fair share of tuition pots that I proudly display on my cabinet as a reminder of my quest to defend deeper into the abyss.... hahahahaha...

Cheers!!
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Mark-S wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 pm
If you tell me what exactly is wrong with my pots maybe I'll believe you. But often I only hear that my pots are just weird or do not look right. Four of the weird/wrong pots have already been confirmed. I know that you, Bok and many others have more experience than I do, but this topic is very complex and even you make mistakes sometimes. So I am sorry if I don't believe everything I hear. I'll let you know what the collectors on Facebook say about them.
You should not believe everything you hear, that is for sure. But the same goes for facebook groups, no matter if they are based in Asia or not. Trust some known experts like Dr Lu. But unfortunately he does not discuss the kind of pots you like. Why? Because they date mostly from a period that many do not consider safe or desirable to use. Second too many fakes and difficult to authenticate. There is a reason the book III of Yixing pots did not even start to be conceived and died in its infancy...

Everyone makes mistakes is a given as well. But the likelihood of people knowing what they are talking about, who have sizable amounts of real, quality pieces, or regular access to see them in person, is not the worst source of information if oneself lacks knowledge an access.

Why do some tell you pots are weird or do not look right? Because maybe we are just being polite, either saying nothing, or that – instead of that it's worthless crap, which you'd have to pay me to keep...
OCTO

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Mark-S wrote:
@Mark-S

It appears difficult but it's not. Can't tell what it's suitable or not just by looking at photos. You'll need to try them with the teas you drink and find one that tinkles your bells the right way. Sometimes, I just brew whatever tea I like in the pot because as a fresh unused pot, it's gonna be muting in every aspect.

Cheers!