Teaware Repair Show-off

User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:38 pm

pedant wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 pm
accidents happen.
Unbelievably, it’s never happened to me. Fingers crossed! And I cart my teaware to classes and gatherings pretty frequently.

It never happened with my antique absinthe glasses and carafes, even when I brought them to a drunken tasting on the cobblestones of Pirate’s Alley in NOLA, rickety cafe tables and all!
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 am

After a long while my latest Kintsugi project is finished! The most ambitious so far, everything which is now gold was not there before, half of the handle had been missing... wasn’t sure if I could achieve it, but apparently I did :)

It’s a proper patchwork pot, the lid is not original and in Zisha, while the body is high quality Hongni or Zhuni, I’m not 100% sure.

Probably need to sand down the lid skirt a bit, it’s too tall for this already small pot and taking away too much volume.
Attachments
C2B5348C-B9DE-4FAB-B078-DDE37F1821C6.jpeg
C2B5348C-B9DE-4FAB-B078-DDE37F1821C6.jpeg (109 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
E4D89446-9EDF-4BF0-86BA-F1DDA82D9751.jpeg
E4D89446-9EDF-4BF0-86BA-F1DDA82D9751.jpeg (143.98 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
95614203-D54D-4B2F-9C00-7B6D80942C3D.jpeg
95614203-D54D-4B2F-9C00-7B6D80942C3D.jpeg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
User avatar
Darbotek
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm
Location: East Texas

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Wow Bok! That is something else. Was did you form the handle with?
DailyTX
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:43 pm
Location: Northern California

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Bok wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 am
After a long while my latest Kintsugi project is finished! The most ambitious so far, everything which is now gold was not there before, half of the handle had been missing... wasn’t sure if I could achieve it, but apparently I did :)

It’s a proper patchwork pot, the lid is not original and in Zisha, while the body is high quality Hongni or Zhuni, I’m not 100% sure.

Probably need to sand down the lid skirt a bit, it’s too tall for this already small pot and taking away too much volume.
Image
Image
Image
@Bok
Looks like you did exceptional work with that pot, it adds elegance to an aged pot.
User avatar
Pants404
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:01 pm

I love that this mess of a pot is being kept functional. It's great to see, and I would like to hear how you did the handle.
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:24 pm

@DailyTX @Pants404 @Darbotek thanks! The handle is made with Kintsugi, so rice, wood powder, Urushi lacquer and gold powder. Plus a little bit of wire skeleton to give it a basic structure and something to hold on :)

Solid pieces like that take a lot more layers until you get the shape you are looking for.
User avatar
Baisao
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Lovely, @Bok! Congratulations on the find and the fix.
.m.
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 am

@Bok Well done. Nice job. I'm quite impressed with the forming of the handle. Did you use an urushi based compound?
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm

.m. wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 am
Bok Well done. Nice job. I'm quite impressed with the forming of the handle. Did you use an urushi based compound?
Thanks! The process has been the most fun of it! A dao kind of project. I got this broken orphan for the fun of it and as a challenge :)

As mentioned above, I used Urushi lacquer, rice, wood powder and gold powder. All on an underlying piece of wire for structural integrity, which I fixed into the handle by drilling holes.
User avatar
hopeofdawn
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 am

This is not my repair, but I ran across this video on Tumblr and it was too impressive not to share: https://www.tumblr.com/video/tainry/612 ... 67873/700/.

Has anyone ever run across this kind of repair before? Are they using actual silver or something else? (Something hopefully food safe!)
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 am
This is not my repair, but I ran across this video on Tumblr and it was too impressive not to share: https://www.tumblr.com/video/tainry/612 ... 67873/700/.

Has anyone ever run across this kind of repair before? Are they using actual silver or something else? (Something hopefully food safe!)
Yep, it is all the rage in China and Taiwan now, I have seen a couple of them at a friends house. They use whatever you tell them to use, usually silver or gold. They can also do custom design. The guy I had make me a cap for a spout in silver does this kind of work as well.

Kintsugi is not well regarded in China, so most opt for staples and this kind of repair instead.
jpo1933
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Washington

Sat May 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Had an accident the other day that resulted in one of my favorite pots spout chipped. Thankfully the damage isn't major and it doesn't seem to have affected the pour in anyway but its a bit unsightly imo and I'd really like to get it repaired if possible. I've never had this happen before so I don't really how what kind of repair would work best in this situation. I know kintsugi may be an option but I'm not aware of any people that do kintsugi repairs near me(Washington).

Anyone have any recommendations on how best to go about repairing something like this?
20200509_112908.jpg
20200509_112908.jpg (104.46 KiB) Viewed 868 times
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 pm

@jpo1933 actually, in your case a metal cap would be the better method.

Kintsugi is nice but it is not forever if you keep treating it with hot water... the constant flow of hot water will erode it over time. Not to mention the gold flushed down the toilet :)
jpo1933
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Washington

Sat May 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Bok wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 pm
jpo1933 actually, in your case a metal cap would be the better method.

Kintsugi is nice but it is not forever if you keep treating it with hot water... the constant flow of hot water will erode it over time. Not to mention the gold flushed down the toilet :)
I've never had anything repaired with kintsugi before but for some reason I had it in my mind that it was both highly heat and liquid resistant. Glad I know better know :mrgreen: I have seen a porcelain teapot spout repaired with kintsugi before however though. Makes me wonder why they chose to go with that instead of some other method.

Do you happen to of any way I could get one made? The area that's broken off is really quite small so I wonder if one can be made that small to cover it up?
User avatar
Bok
Vendor
Posts: 3547
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am
Location: Taiwan

Sat May 09, 2020 7:43 pm

@jpo1933 I’ve seen antique Kintsugi pieces, it is not meant to be doused in hot water on a daily basis :)

You can’t do partial cap, normally the hole tip will be covered. I had it done in China. Not aware of any western shop offering this.
Post Reply