Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 pm

pantry wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm
Adding info found on Zisha.com that may interest other folks
I did not know this site - thanks :)
Chadrinkincat wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 pm
Speaking of paying way too much for F1. $980 for 80’s 😳
It's even more shocking that someone actually paid that much.
Bok
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Is that maker famous? Must be the reason and that shape in general seems rarer and more expensive. Those are the items only Asian collectors will shell out the money for... I certainly wouldn’t.
Chadrinkincat

Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

@Bok

I assume it’s a famous marker. I’ll take a cheaper version w/o the seal and spend the difference on tea.
steanze
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 8:08 pm

pantry wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm
steanze wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 am
Teachronicles wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 am

I've also been confused about the mentions of different types of rare zini in the early factory period. steanze if it's not too much work, you don't have any pictures to show the difference between jiazini and regular zini, and maybe qsn.
茄紫泥 . I've seen 甲紫泥 used in a somewhat confusing way, sometimes it's used to refer to heixing tu.

I posted a picture comparing jiazini and qsn on page 124 of this thread ;)
Thanks for the clarification.

Adding info found on Zisha.com that may interest other folks
Welcome! Nice info!
steanze
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Chadrinkincat wrote:
lol what? No the maker is not particularly famous, AND, the pot has a blemish on the left side.

The moral of the story is: people can charge arbitrary money for random things. I've seen a post 2000 fake at over $1000 once (not on that site). Be careful.
Teachronicles

Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

https://moodyguy.biz/usd/60s-hongni-120 ... ng-16.html another pretty crazy f1. Nearly $2000. It is a rare size tho? Already sold too..
Bok
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
https://moodyguy.biz/usd/60s-hongni-120 ... ng-16.html another pretty crazy f1. Nearly $2000. It is a rare size tho? Already sold too..
I only know that larger ones in general are more difficult to find. Maybe it has to do with that he is based in HK? The other pots seem more reasonably priced. Is HK-6cups maybe Taiwan-12cups?

So much money for a standard Shuiping!
steanze
Vendor

Wed May 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Teachronicles wrote:
That is a "Ting Ji" mark pot. Look at the mark on the inside of the base. Those are supposedly made with superior workmanship, and are expensive. Still $2k is a lot
hopeofdawn

Thu May 07, 2020 3:13 am

sporad wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:03 am
hopeofdawn What kind of unusual are you looking for so I can keep one antenna tuned to it?
Um ... I'll know it when I see it? ;)

More generally--I guess I'm looking for pots that aren't just the standard classic shapes. Either they're new shapes/variations on the classics, or have well-done carving/figurative elements added to them that make them visually interesting. I'm an illustrator, so I tend to be very picky about color choices, engraving details, and other stylistic considerations, and whether they work together for the overall shape and design of the pot. Minimalist modern designs and very simple geometric designs aren't as appealing for me; I realize they take just as much skill to make, but I prefer more fluid, organic lines as a general rule.

Does that help, or did that just make things more confusing?
Youzi

Thu May 07, 2020 3:17 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
sporad wrote:
hopeofdawn What kind of unusual are you looking for so I can keep one antenna tuned to it?

More generally--I guess I'm looking for pots that aren't just the standard classic shapes. Either they're new shapes/variations on the classics, or have well-done carving/figurative elements added to them that make them visually interesting. I'm an illustrator, so I tend to be very picky about color choices, engraving details, and other stylistic considerations, and whether they work together for the overall shape and design of the pot. Minimalist modern designs and very simple geometric designs aren't as appealing for me; I realize they take just as much skill to make, but I prefer more fluid, organic lines as a general rule.

Have you checked Taohuren or zisha.com? Maybe you could give some example looks?
hopeofdawn

Thu May 07, 2020 3:31 am

Youzi wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:
sporad wrote:

Have you checked Taohuren or zisha.com? Maybe you could give some example looks?
I have checked zisha.com , and thank you for the reference! They do have lots of beautiful modern pots, and Google translate does a decent job of translating so that I can navigate the site. Sadly the translations aren't quite good enough that I would be confident about communicating or ordering from that site, esp. since most pots do not have prices listed, only 'inquire for price' buttons, and I would have to try to set up an account through an unfamiliar payment vendor. None of these are insurmountable obstacles, but collectively they make me a bit leery about committing hundreds of $$ to a purchase without any real recourse if anything goes awry.

I also have tried looking at Taohuren--unfortunately their website design is not nearly as Google Translate friendly, and tends to break up the text and pictures in a way that makes listings almost impossible to read. I can look at pictures, but that's about it.

If people are honestly interested in the kinds of pots I find interesting, though, I can always try to snag links to pictures and post them here.
Bok
Vendor

Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 am

@hopeofdawn that Yinchen guy and other similar outlets on IG have loads of fancy new designs, nothing there for you?
Youzi

Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:31 am
Youzi wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:

I have checked zisha.com , and thank you for the reference! They do have lots of beautiful modern pots, and Google translate does a decent job of translating so that I can navigate the site. Sadly the translations aren't quite good enough that I would be confident about communicating or ordering from that site, esp. since most pots do not have prices listed, only 'inquire for price' buttons, and I would have to try to set up an account through an unfamiliar payment vendor. None of these are insurmountable obstacles, but collectively they make me a bit leery about committing hundreds of $$ to a purchase without any real recourse if anything goes awry.

I also have tried looking at Taohuren--unfortunately their website design is not nearly as Google Translate friendly, and tends to break up the text and pictures in a way that makes listings almost impossible to read. I can look at pictures, but that's about it.

If people are honestly interested in the kinds of pots I find interesting, though, I can always try to snag links to pictures and post them here.
I didn't mean you should try to get a pot from either of those places. Just look at what is available and what stuff you like. They are Chinese sites, for Chinese audience, so of course, it's not for you.

But you find your taste there and then try to look at other vendors or copy paste the name of the shapes or designs and try to find something on the Western side similar to that.
hopeofdawn

Thu May 07, 2020 4:10 am

I will admit I do not generally think about Instagram when looking for yixing pots. Yinchen does have some nice ones. Are there any other studios using IG you would recommend?
Mark-S

Thu May 07, 2020 5:16 am

hopeofdawn wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:10 am
I will admit I do not generally think about Instagram when looking for yixing pots. Yinchen does have some nice ones. Are there any other studios using IG you would recommend?
MudandLeaves and Pu-erh.sk are also quite popular:

https://instagram.com/mudandleaves?igshid=9rd590oaevih

https://instagram.com/pu_erh.sk?igshid=lf2rtthnlhc7