Best water for brewing tea is Natural Spring Water and it's free

vuanguyen

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello,

I just want to share with people my sources of water for brewing tea. There are many natural spring water than can be collected for free. These water are filtered through the earth and they are safe to consume (we boil the water anyway). It's way better than any tap water or bottled water I have in the Bay Area. Moreover, it's fun collecting the water as it adds to the whole experience of drinking tea. The one I use right now is "Red Rock Beach Cold Spring" in Stinson Beach, California. However there are many other springs. You can use the link below to locate the springs:

https://findaspring.com/locations/north ... -beach-ca/
https://findaspring.com/category/locations/view-all/

Enjoy
teasecret

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:08 pm

Awesome! Too bad my closest one is almost an hour away from me. What size/brand jugs do you use? And how do you know it's safe?
vuanguyen

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 am

teasecret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:08 pm
Awesome! Too bad my closest one is almost an hour away from me. What size/brand jugs do you use? And how do you know it's safe?
Hello @teasecret. I just use the no name 5 gallon water containers. As for safety, well...I'm still alive but I can't guarantee that's it's safe :D All I can say is that the spring water I drink is good. Very good!
Tor

Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:56 am

You may consider UV disinfection system.
pedant
Admin

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 pm

hey, that's pretty cool. there are some public wells near me. hard to say if the water will be good for tea, but maybe i'll go on a little adventure and check them out.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 pm

Yes very good resource thanks @vuanguyen. Looking at my area map I see several Springs not too far from my location. Once trails are opened up (closed due to covid-19) I’ll check them out. Although, best to double check, in my case one spring is just 4 minutes from my house, except it is the original location of a historic Indian tribal site The Gabrielino / Tongva Springs / Kuruvungna Springs and while ponds and watering holes are on display, water can’t be collected. Cool to know about this historic site though and interesting that Santa Monica’s water filtration plant is not far from this original spring.
Justin

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Victoria wrote:
Yes very good resource thanks vuanguyen. Looking at my area map I see several Springs not too far from my location. Once trails are opened up (closed due to covid-19) I’ll check them out. Although, best to double check, in my case one spring is just 4 minutes from my house, except it is the original location of a historic Indian tribal site The Gabrielino / Tongva Springs / Kuruvungna Springs and while ponds and watering holes are on display, water can’t be collected. Cool to know about this historic site though and interesting that Santa Monica’s water filtration plant is not far from this original spring.
Looks interesting, I might have to check it out
Victoria
Admin

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:40 pm

Justin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm
Victoria wrote:
Yes very good resource thanks vuanguyen. Looking at my area map I see several Springs not too far from my location. Once trails are opened up (closed due to covid-19) I’ll check them out. Although, best to double check, in my case one spring is just 4 minutes from my house, except it is the original location of a historic Indian tribal site The Gabrielino / Tongva Springs / Kuruvungna Springs and while ponds and watering holes are on display, water can’t be collected. Cool to know about this historic site though and interesting that Santa Monica’s water filtration plant is not far from this original spring.
Looks interesting, I might have to check it out
Maybe @Justin we can go together one day after this ‘problema’ blows over. 😔
Rickpatbrown

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:31 pm

This a really cool tool! Thanks for sharing.

Looks like there's a free access spring about an hour from me.
Leone Family Spring in Glenrock, PA.

They take donations and use the money to get the water tested.

It's at about 30 TDS, so a little soft, but I'm excited to give it a try.

2hr round trip for tea water ... God help me .
vuanguyen

Sat May 02, 2020 10:07 pm

You're welcome @Rickpatbrown. I hope that you will enjoy your spring water.
pedant
Admin

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:20 pm

well, i finally went to a local well that i found on findaspring.com
it turns out that there's one that's kind of famous in chicagoland only 15 minutes from me.

pumping furiously, it took about about 40s to get 5 gallons out of it. pretty fast flow and easy to pump.

i'm absentmindedly making longjing with it now. it tastes fine, but i don't know if it's better or worse than what i usually drink.

i encourage you all to see if there's anything nearby. it's fun to go on little adventures.
Noonie

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 am

I found one on the map that isn't far from me. I ride my bike by their often so the other day, while still riding--albeit slowly--I look around at where it can possibly be and it wasn't obvious. I had bike shoes on and with the cleats it's not comfortable walking all around to see if I can see a spout. And I couldn't have taken more than a 750ml bottle anyway. Next time when driving by there I'll make a point to stop, and will have a larger container with me.