Introduce Yourself

Victoria
Admin

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Bok wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:27 pm
Victoria wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:10 pm
I spent a memorable summer in Kassel decades ago studying with the artist Joseph Beuys and living above a pub, the stale beer and cigarette aroma still is at forefront of my memory bank. :) .
Is Beuys not known in the US? That you felt compelled to add “artist” to his name surprised me, in Germany or probably all of Europe you only need to mention Beuys and everyone will know who, one of the most famous after war European modern artists!

Must have been very interesting to study under him!
Was an unforgettable and very special time with him. He would lecture non-stop all day long into the night covering all the walls with his writing and diagrams, was crazy and energizing. I was in my last year studying sculpture at RISD and on my way to spend a year in Rome. With an earnest stern zeal, he warned me to avoid letting Italian elegance creep into my work. Unfortunately, I think the number of Americans who would know who he is would be limited to those knowledgable in contemporary art.
debunix

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 am

I did not know his name, but some of the images I found when googling his name were familiar.
rdl

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:25 pm

I've been seeing his Felt Suit for years and the conflux of comprehension and lack of comprehension still astounds me. Like a mental process that's turned into a physical state.
Ginpachi

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Victoria wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:50 pm
(...) he warned me to avoid letting Italian elegance creep into my work.
:D

@Bok: I am afraid, even in Germany, less and less people would know his name. Even here in Kassel; if his "7000 Eichen" (7000 oak trees) wouldn't be simply referred to as The Beuys Trees by us locals, I guess one would hardly ever have the opportunity to hear his name outside the art scene. Might be just my impression, though. On the other hand, in a bar in Japan, after introducing myself, I was asked if I knew Beuys - so, he is still known and his name can help starting conversations around the planet, it seems - and in the tea forum! :mrgreen:
yanchaiman
New user

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am

Hello everyone!

How long have you been drinking tea?
Since about 2007, but not very seriously between 2014 and 2019.

What kind of tea do you drink?
Dark oolong is the desert island favorite! Otherwise I drink all kinds of tea - green, oolong, black, sheng etc. Perhaps it will be easier to list teas I would NOT buy for myself:
  • aged white (I tried it a few times and the return never matched the price)
  • shu puer (I used to love these years ago, but somehow I gravitated away from them)
  • Japanese gyokuro (I cannot appreciate the quality so I leave it to others)
How do you prepare your tea?
Gongfu style in teapots. I never brought myself to getting a gaiwan yet. I have a glass pot, 2 yixing pots, 2 Japanese kyusu and 1 stoneware pot.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
The effect of chosen teapot on tea flavour. There is a lot of hype around yixing teapots and I'm trying to separate fact from marketing. Perhaps once I am happy with my knowledge I will invest in one, lifetime teapot.
Also, recommendations on knowledgeable EU tea/teapot vendors would be appreciated.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
It was the teahouse culture around me at the beginning. Actually I think my very first time in a teahouse was for a date :D but I quickly started coming for the tea. Then I started brewing the tea at home.

What is your location?
EU
pedant
Admin

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm

hi, @yanchaiman! welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Admar
Vendor

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:50 am

So here is my go:

How long have you been drinking tea?
I've been seriously been drinking tea from 2015 till now. Im drinking tea... right... now :D

What kind of tea do you drink?
Well, right now im drinking a shou puer but I drink alot of oolong and black tea as well. Not alot of white and green.

How do you prepare your tea?
I do gong fu, drink from big bowls and alot of tea in a mug when I'm working

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?
Hmm well I have a million things left to learn. I'm currently checking out the effect of antique teaware.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
The vastness of the subject, the difference in flavours and the people I meet.

What is your location?
The Netherlands
Bok
Vendor

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pm

@Admar welcome! What kind of antiques are we talking about?
Ginpachi

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am

Hello Admar and yanchaiman!
yanchaiman wrote:
Also, recommendations on knowledgeable EU tea/teapot vendors would be appreciated.
If you speak French or German, this might be a useful recommendation for you:
viewtopic.php?p=20285#p20285
Admar
Vendor

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pm
Admar welcome! What kind of antiques are we talking about?
mostly cups right now
Victoria
Admin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am

Ginpachi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am
Hello Admar and yanchaiman!
yanchaiman wrote:
If you speak French or German, this might be a useful recommendation for you:
viewtopic.php?p=20285#p20285
Welcome to TeaForum @Admar and @yanchaiman. For European Union tea shops we also have this in-progress list; Online tea stores dispatching from within the EU (European Union)?
yanchaiman
New user

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:58 am

@Victoria @Ginpachi @pedant Thank you for the welcome, and for useful recommendations! Now I want to order samples from about 10 shops, my wallet is hurting :lol:
RinsedSloth

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:05 am

I am back to the forum, just introduced myself again but better to edit with a quick update. Lately been focusing on puerh and yancha, love both. I tend to like more sheng than shu but getting a lot of interest since tried two samples that opened up my eyes.

I have my pumidor set up with the salt solution stated on the forum (life saver) and can't wait to increase my collection to have more variety to drink.

Had a couple of times when my tea education halted and only keep drinking for pleasure but recently got again into exploring and reviewing with long posts the worthy tea I treat myself with so I will post them here too and share my experiences.

Pleasure to meet everyone here again and stay tuned!
pedant
Admin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:53 pm

hey sloth, wb!
mrmopu

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

RinsedSloth wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:05 am
I am back to the forum, just introduced myself again but better to edit with a quick update. Lately been focusing on puerh and yancha, love both. I tend to like more sheng than shu but getting a lot of interest since tried two samples that opened up my eyes.

I have my pumidor set up with the salt solution stated on the forum (life saver) and can't wait to increase my collection to have more variety to drink.

Had a couple of times when my tea education halted and only keep drinking for pleasure but recently got again into exploring and reviewing with long posts the worthy tea I treat myself with so I will post them here too and share my experiences.

Pleasure to meet everyone here again and stay tuned!
Hi Sloth! I know you. Welcome to all the other new people as well! Cheers all!