Yamada Sou Mayake Kyusu

AozoraE

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Bok wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 pm
Really mystifies me how such nice pots can remain unsold for so long!? And at a fair price.
It looks like you helped me changed that by you deciding to post in this thread :mrgreen:
I've had less interesting pots sell far quicker than this one, so I'm guessing it just has to do with the holidays and people not having any extra cash to spare for any new pots.
AozoraE

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:16 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm
I would have adopted if it’s shudei clay. I agree with others, it’s a good price given you don’t have to worry about currency exchange and tax if you are living in a county aside from Asia
Technically it is shudei, but just woodfired!
I've honestly never liked the bright-red color of shudei pots and so I've sort of shied away from purchasing any made by Sou or anyone else.
Maybe if I can get past the color I'll give one a shot someday.
DailyTX

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm

AozoraE wrote:
DailyTX wrote:
I would have adopted if it’s shudei clay. I agree with others, it’s a good price given you don’t have to worry about currency exchange and tax if you are living in a county aside from Asia
I've honestly never liked the bright-red color of shudei pots and so I've sort of shied away from purchasing any made by Sou or anyone else.
I had no idea lol, I am very new into Japanese tea ware. Can I trouble you to take some photos of the inside for me please? :)
AozoraE

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:58 pm

DailyTX wrote:
I had no idea lol, I am very new into Japanese tea ware. Can I trouble you to take some photos of the inside for me please? :)

Hopefully those give you a bit of an idea of what the inside looks like. You wouldn't be able to tell its shudei from looking at it on the inside. The only way you would be able to tell is from looking at the bit of red accents that you can see all over the outside of the pot that were left uncovered by natural glaze. If you're looking for shudei for its effects on tea, you ought to look for shudei that has been fired in a electric or gas kiln. Reason being is that you're not going to get see much of a different in tea brewed in a wood fired pot vs something like porcelain or glass. Wood fired pots are known for having a more neutral effect on tea and therefore are going to act a bit differently from an un-glazed pot fired in a conventional kiln.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10 pm

AozoraE wrote:
I am 100% with you on that one! It took me ages to find a Shudei claypot that I liked (I wanted one for comparison purposes mostly). I found that the older Shudei (more orange) is nicer. Although it is real nice to the touch, very smooth and wet. I think what turned me off is this smoothness paired with the rough unfinished style of the later Yamadas, which in my taste doesn't go so well together – But, it is still something else if you ever hold one in your hands! Kind of almost converted my opinion, it is much nicer in person than what it often looks like on pictures.
nasalfrog

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 pm
...I've had less interesting pots sell far quicker than this one, so I'm guessing it just has to do with the holidays and people not having any extra cash to spare for any new pots.
I’m in this boat money-wise, plus I received some teaware for the holidays... and purchased a shiboridashi with gift money. If I told my family I was getting another teapot I may find myself in some teaware addiction rehab facility.

No lie, I dreamed of this pot last night. I’m afraid if I bought this pot, I would have to come to terms with having a legitimate problem.
Vanenbw

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm

I reckon it's healthier than some other addictions.
DailyTX

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:58 pm
DailyTX wrote:

Hopefully those give you a bit of an idea of what the inside looks like. You wouldn't be able to tell its shudei from looking at it on the inside. The only way you would be able to tell is from looking at the bit of red accents that you can see all over the outside of the pot that were left uncovered by natural glaze. If you're looking for shudei for its effects on tea, you ought to look for shudei that has been fired in a electric or gas kiln. Reason being is that you're not going to get see much of a different in tea brewed in a wood fired pot vs something like porcelain or glass. Wood fired pots are known for having a more neutral effect on tea and therefore are going to act a bit differently from an un-glazed pot fired in a conventional kiln.
Interesting, and thank you for the honest feedback, I learned one more thing about Japanese tea ware today. I’ll let my teapot craving neurons suffer for a bit longer haha. Initially, I was aiming at one of those Jozan IV pots with the ugly red color. I’ll have to see if I am lucky enough to encounter one ;)
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm

DailyTX wrote:
Interesting, and thank you for the honest feedback, I learned one more thing about Japanese tea ware today. I’ll let my teapot craving neurons suffer for a bit longer haha. Initially, I was aiming at one of those Jozan IV pots with the ugly red color. I’ll have to see if I am lucky enough to encounter one ;)
This is a great kyusu, light to handle, fast pour, works with many teas, and beautiful to observe. Aesthetic appeal is a huge part of using and collecting teaware, so only buy what you think you’ll enjoy observing and handling. If red shudei isn’t your thing right now, this is a great alternative.
nasalfrog

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Vanenbw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 pm
I reckon it's healthier than some other addictions.
Agreed... I guess it just makes absolutely no sense to those outside of tea culture.
lUKAV28

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:40 am

I bought Sou's smurf back handle pot and shudei kyusu in November. I bought shudei solely for tasting the clay as I didn't think much about its looks but I must say that in-person shudei pot is so much prettier. I actually prefer it over the smurf one. Back handled smurf pot has a weird ergonomy. Maybe due to the handle being cracked during the transport. I kinda fixed it with glue but the pot is quite heavy to hold with such a thin handle and still haven't figured what to brew in it.

Anyways, as I said before, this mayake is a stunner.
DailyTX

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Victoria wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 pm
DailyTX wrote:
This is a great kyusu, light to handle, fast pour, works with many teas, and beautiful to observe. Aesthetic appeal is a huge part of using and collecting teaware, so only buy what you think you’ll enjoy observing and handling. If red shudei isn’t your thing right now, this is a great alternative.
It is very tempting...I think goal is to test out the effect of shudei clay. With Sou’s pots, I believe there will be future opportunities, so I want to aim for a Jozan IV
AozoraE

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm

nasalfrog wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:22 pm

I may find myself in some teaware addiction rehab facility.

No lie, I dreamed of this pot last night. I’m afraid if I bought this pot, I would have to come to terms with having a legitimate problem.

:lol: And here I was thinking that no one was interested in the pot!
Luckily the pot was just sold and shipped out today so there's no need for you to be admitted (yet) :D
nasalfrog

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:19 pm

AozoraE wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:59 pm

:lol: And here I was thinking that no one was interested in the pot!
Luckily the pot was just sold and shipped out today so there's no need for you to be admitted (yet) :D
Whew... thank goodness! Glad you found the teapot a home... and that I am able to keep up this charade of sanity I have going :lol:
Baisao

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 pm

@pedant, do you think it’s worthwhile to have a category for Japanese clays and then move some of this content into a new thread (perhaps called “When is shudei no longer shudei?”)?

I can see a lot of valuable information here buried in a post for a teapot that was for sale.