Teas best suited for grandpa style

Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 pm

leaves will sink down with time anyways, no need for a filter.
aet
Vendor

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 pm
aet do they have a bottle that has a filter at the end for easier drinking or do they use their teeth to filter out the leaves?
no filter , that's for beginners ;-DDDD
they don't drink it until the leafs are soaked up properly and sit at the bottom of the bottle. When drink, tilt it gently so leafs almost not moving towards to the mouth. When getting to the end, the tilting motion is even slower. They don't drink it to the very end coz need some water left for more convenient to throw / spill out the leafs later. It's easier to spill it out when some water still inside rather than trying to pull out the leafs sicked to the walls and bottom of the glass bottle.
swordofmytriumph

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 am

When I try this, the leaves take forever to sink (15 min at least, if not 20), and it isn’t as good as it would be if I drank it sooner. Am I doing something wrong? Am using Tea Habitat’s long jing. First infusion I do 140 degrees the. Up it to 175 the second and so on.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:15 am

swordofmytriumph wrote:
When I try this, the leaves take forever to sink (15 min at least, if not 20), and it isn’t as good as it would be if I drank it sooner. Am I doing something wrong? Am using Tea Habitat’s long jing. First infusion I do 140 degrees the. Up it to 175 the second and so on.
Usually grandpa style is about convenience, not optimal taste. Nothing wrong if it tastes like dish water, the point is that those original grandpas just don’t want to drink plain water!
swordofmytriumph

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 am

Bok wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:15 am
swordofmytriumph wrote:
Usually grandpa style is about convenience, not optimal taste. Nothing wrong if it tastes like dish water, the point is that those original grandpas just don’t want to drink plain water!
Ah! Well that does explain things. :lol: Cool. Thanks Bok!
Baisao

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm

I stopped rinsing ages ago unless it’s puerh, which is dusty and/or pressed so a rinse significantly helps prep the tea.

Oolong, greens, yellows, and most whites generally don’t benefit at all from a rinsing. Well, maybe some minor benefit, chiefly that it makes it easier to nail the first steeping since it will be almost as short as the second. But with experience it becomes moot.
Teachronicles

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Hmm wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 am
Do people still do the initial "washing" of the leaves with grandpa style or is that step just completely gotten rid of? If so, how do they do it, if e.g. in a mug? If not, aren't they concern about dust, dirt, or pesticides, etc.?
For shou and aged sheng, if I do them grandpa style, I do still rinse and usually just grab something in the kitchen to stop the leaves from falling out, a big spoon, tea strainer, whatever's around and works.
andresito

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Hmm wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 am
Do people still do the initial "washing" of the leaves with grandpa style or is that step just completely gotten rid of? If so, how do they do it, if e.g. in a mug? If not, aren't they concern about dust, dirt, or pesticides, etc.?
I rinse puerh in a gaiwan 1-2x before grandpa style brewing, sheng or shu. I don't bother rinsing gaoshan or greens. I do add a little room temp water to the mug with the gaoshan to let it open up before blasting it with boiling water. I get a fuller experience this way.

I drink 90% of my gaoshan oolongs grandpa style, I just don't get as full of an experience out of them otherwise. Only specific young sheng's (1-2 years old) I'll brew grandpa style, for example Hojo's single tree sheng maocha. But most sheng I brew gongfu. I prefer gongting shu brewed grandpa style. I actually brew most of my shu's grandpa style come to think of it, but I don't drink shu very often.

I drink most Chinese greens grandpa style, but a few that persistently float (like long jing and anji bai cha) I've started brewing in teapot because its inconvenient skimming the leaves off the top of the glass.
Sweetestdew
Vendor

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Bi Luo chun is nice because the leaves will immedietly sink to the bottom of the glass which makes for easy drinking.
LuckyMe

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 am

I grandpa steep all the time, especially when I'm brewing tea on the go to take with me work in the morning. I find strip oolongs - in particular baozhong - and black tea seem best suited to this style. Some green tea like anji bai cha and long jing work although most become bitter or taste stewed.
debunix

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

I don't recognize the phrase 'strip oolong'. Can you describe that further?
LuckyMe

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm

@debunix by strip oolong I mean unrolled oolongs such as baozhong and yancha. One exception to this is dan cong...this kind of tea works best gongfu.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm

LuckyMe wrote:
debunix by strip oolong I mean unrolled oolongs such as baozhong and yancha. One exception to this is dan cong...this kind of tea works best gongfu.
You don’t think Yancha is suited for gongfu??? Seems a lot of the subtleties of a good Yancha would be lost and wasted if prepared grandpa style.
Victoria
Admin

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm
LuckyMe wrote:
debunix by strip oolong I mean unrolled oolongs such as baozhong and yancha. One exception to this is dan cong...this kind of tea works best gongfu.
You don’t think Yancha is suited for gongfu??? Seems a lot of the subtleties of a good Yancha would be lost and wasted if prepared grandpa style.
I recently heard a very knowledgable tea friend say he steeped RouGui grandpa/western style; 7gr/1.2L/3 minutes in porcelain pot, and that it is delicious that way too. I’m going to try it soon as well, but with much less water I think, maybe +-350ml. Hmmm
Bok
Vendor

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:14 am

Victoria wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:21 am
I recently heard a very knowledgable tea friend say he steeped RouGui grandpa/western style; 7gr/1.2L/3 minutes in porcelain pot, and that it is delicious that way too. I’m going to try it soon as well, but with much less water I think, maybe +-350ml. Hmmm
Maybe with Rougui, which has more upfront flavour and aromatics going on, but I am not sure it holds true for more complex and subtle Yanchas.

If the base material is good a large pot will for sure produce something good and delicious, but I would almost bet that there would be more going on if brewed the gong fu way.