Yunnan Sourcing

thommes

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Slurp wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:17 pm
If time is a concern, instead of loose leaf, why not just break off a week's worth from your cake on Sunday night/Monday morning, and take that into work in a baggie or container?

I can't speak from personal experience, but it seems that YS house brand is generally well regarded. If it helps, these guys review a lot of YS' offerings: https://www.youtube.com/user/teadborg

YS does sell factory teas as well as their own, you could get a couple of each & compare for yourself.

FYI, it seems like the 4 day puerh sale has already ended, from what I can tell.
Huh... That bytes. I saw the 15% discount image at the bottom of the page but the code doesn't work. Sowell. No need to rush then. Thanks for the youtube info I'll check out the channel.

As far as work tea... LOL. For some reason I was being an idiot and thinking I didn't need to drink GOOD puer at work. I wasn't really thinking about breaking up the brick. I was just thinking "it's just work. I don't need good stuff."
thommes

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:54 pm

.m. wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:33 am
In terms of exposure, the YS Fan page on Fb would be a good place to ask the question:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1654839771478569/
I believe their housebrand has quite a good reputation.
Otherwise, you can't go wrong with almost any shu from Dayi (Menghai). Haiwan is also a very decent choice for a daily drinker shu, usually for a fraction of Dayi price.
I'm leaving FB so while I appreciate the link, it doesn't help. However, THANK YOU for the tip on the Dayi and Haiwan teas. Daily drinker is the term I'm looking for. I have several scotches that I consider daylies and many more that I don't drink everyday due to taste or $$$. :) So I'm looking to get to the point where I have several Puerhs that are daily and many more that are not. I know it'll be a long journey.
Last edited by thommes on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedant
Admin

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 pm

thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 am
Not sure if this should be posted in the vendor section. Looking for recommendations for Shou Pu-erh from Yunnan Sourcing.
hi thommes,

i'm not super familiar with YS' lineup (especially their shou/ripe puerhs), so if you hear from someone who's recently tried lots of their teas, just ignore my advice.
in the past however, i've enjoyed their Hui Run line. seems they even have a sampler of it.
also, you could check out their various 'cha tou' offerings. usually hard to go wrong with some cha tou, and it's worth trying if you haven't had it before. they tend to be sweet and inoffensive, just overall nice to drink.

edit: also check out their black teas! that's my favorite part of YS believe it or not.
one of my favs, have ordered it several times:
Light Roast Wild Tree Purple Varietal Black Tea of Dehong
debunix

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Seconding the recommendation for the Hui Run of Bulang shou; not sure which one I have at present, but it was delicious enough that after a sample with one order, I ordered again to get more of it. Another tea I bought in quantity was this Menghai Lao Cha Tou, a basic daily drinker for busy bulk thermos brew days at work.

Edit to update: I bought the 2011 Hui Run of Bulang, don't know how it relates o other harvests currently available.
thommes

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 am

I so wish there was a way to thumb up or thank you peeps. I truly appreciate the recommendations. Keep em coming!
debunix

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

I don't see any currently available version of Menghai's Golden Needle White Lotus, which has a caramel background to the earthiness rather than the plummy fruitiness of the Lao Cha Tou. I've had several years' versions of this and it has been reliably delicious and tolerant of bulk-thermos brewing bu also tasty enough for gongfu cha.
thommes

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 am

debunix wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am
I don't see any currently available version of Menghai's Golden Needle White Lotus, which has a caramel background to the earthiness rather than the plummy fruitiness of the Lao Cha Tou. I've had several years' versions of this and it has been reliably delicious and tolerant of bulk-thermos brewing bu also tasty enough for gongfu cha.
That sounds really good so I looked for it and got totally confused. YS had some from 2017 for $70? which was sold out? I've been reading that shou should also age a couple years, which I suppose is now, but if it's supposed to rest for a couple years to mellow, how can it be sold out... Is this Golden Needle recipe well known, highly sought after?
debunix

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:23 pm

It is one of Menghai's standard recipes, and it does have a good reputation. I was surprised that there was not some current version available when I scouted their site as I was reviewing my receipts to try to find some things that are still available.
.m.

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:09 am

thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 am
That sounds really good so I looked for it and got totally confused. YS had some from 2017 for $70? which was sold out? I've been reading that shou should also age a couple years, which I suppose is now, but if it's supposed to rest for a couple years to mellow, how can it be sold out... Is this Golden Needle recipe well known, highly sought after?
Yes, the original version of GNWL (from 80's ???) is quite a famous tea, that goes for big money nowadays. They don't produce this recipe every year, in fact there has been only a handful of batches produced, so there is definitely a lot of speculation around it driving the price up. People who want to drink it stock up on it while available, others buy with the vision of reselling in a couple of years.
With Dayi you always pay a bit extra for the brand, and if it is a famous recipe and limited quantity you pay even more.
Also, when some of their other teas are produced in several batches every year, then the first batch usually goes for more (for example, this year the x-th batch of a given tea would be designated 190x).