What Pu'er Are You Drinking

Puerh and other heicha
Stephen

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:39 am

thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 am
Sorry I need to ask. I looked this tea up and it says no inner ticket or identifying marks. So how do you know that it's really what it says? And sure for the price does it matter? But newbie just trying to learn.
Just to add:
- generic autumn nan nuo isn't really high value tea in my understanding and there's little reason to make false claims
- inner tickets and identifying marks can themselves be false
- white label tea such as this makes no claims and we can just enjoy the tea for it's attributes
- for the price it really doesn't matter :mrgreen:

In this case we are trusting Scott for the basic description and he is probably trusting his supplier and his taste buds.
thommes

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 am

Slurp wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:59 pm
thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:05 pm
OMG... pu enhanced scotch. I'm going to do it! That's probably sacrilege here.
Aye, that be sacrilege. Ya mess with scotch, ya mess with Scotland!
Not the direction I thought it would go but either way works for me. I watch a scotch reviewer on YouTube and he was talking about how if you come across a scotch that doesn't do much for you, that you could enhance the taste by adding different types of taste enhancers :) to the bottle. He showed adding a thin piece of scorched oak to the bottle and then letting it set for a period. I came across a bottle of scotch whose flavor didn't do much for me. A year or so later I had a bit of Fireball and said yeah that's good. And it struck me that I could add a cinnamon stick to the bottle, which I did, and let it set for a period of time, which lapsed. So I tasted the red scotch and it tasted like cinnamon... pure cinnamon. I let the scotch sit too long and worse no way to get the cinnamon stick out of the bottle. I have a wee dram of that scotch on occasion.

And as far as messing with scotch... the scotts mess with it by putting it in french sherry casks... ;)
.m.

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:56 am

thommes wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 am
Slurp wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:59 pm
thommes wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:05 pm
OMG... pu enhanced scotch. I'm going to do it! That's probably sacrilege here.
Aye, that be sacrilege. Ya mess with scotch, ya mess with Scotland!
Not the direction I thought it would go but either way works for me. I watch a scotch reviewer on YouTube and he was talking about how if you come across a scotch that doesn't do much for you, that you could enhance the taste by adding different types of taste enhancers :) to the bottle. He showed adding a thin piece of scorched oak to the bottle and then letting it set for a period. I came across a bottle of scotch whose flavor didn't do much for me. A year or so later I had a bit of Fireball and said yeah that's good. And it struck me that I could add a cinnamon stick to the bottle, which I did, and let it set for a period of time, which lapsed. So I tasted the red scotch and it tasted like cinnamon... pure cinnamon. I let the scotch sit too long and worse no way to get the cinnamon stick out of the bottle. I have a wee dram of that scotch on occasion.

And as far as messing with scotch... the scotts mess with it by putting it in french sherry casks... ;)
I wouldn't mix shu with scotch, but adding a few drops of a strong sheng from a bottom of a teapot instead of water to your dram... definitely!
thommes

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 am

.m. wrote:
I wouldn't mix shu with scotch, but adding a few drops of a strong sheng from a bottom of a teapot instead of water to your dram... definitely!
Still haven't had the opportunity to try sheng, but I like your idea of using strong pu tea to open up the scotch instead of water. However, I'm crazy enough to still flavor a bottle of scotch with pu. I figure a bad scotch with a neutral flavor and who knows what pu. nothing crazy expensive for sure. The 'steeping' time will be the big question which raised the second big question will it steep at all at room temperature?
DailyTX

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:43 am

thommes wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 am
.m. wrote:
Still haven't had the opportunity to try sheng, but I like your idea of using strong pu tea to open up the scotch instead of water. However, I'm crazy enough to still flavor a bottle of scotch with pu. I figure a bad scotch with a neutral flavor and who knows what pu. nothing crazy expensive for sure. The 'steeping' time will be the big question which raised the second big question will it steep at all at room temperature?
I would imagine it will be like a cold brew Pu, instead of water, you use scotch.
eatevoltap

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Having, 09 BYH Mahei, I think the Mahei teas from BYH are really well done. consistent and imo stronger that most other one. Good session, warming and nice throat feeling, good aftertaste, narcotic energy
debunix

Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am

After a recent discussion in another topic, I brewed up a thermos full of Hui Run of Bulang shou from Yunnan Sourcing, and it was as recalled, earthy, plummy, sweet, thick liquor; overall excellent for a gray cold afternoon.
Janice

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:04 pm

I purchased a pot from Hojo recently and added several teas to the order. One was Wu Liang Shan Ripe Pu-erh, a 2013 mini tuo cha. It fits his description, “Tea that gives long finishing in taste and flavor is very rich in iron. Once you drink this tea, you feel warm, your face blushes and you feel very relax. The iron also contributes in formation of blood, circulation and good sleep. Thanks to improved blood circulation, you feel relax and once you fall into sleep, you can have better sleep.” I can enjoy it when I want to drink tea late in the day.

I purchased this Seong-il Hobin set years ago and I’m finding the onggi clay works very well with puerh, or at least this puerh.

Edit: I couldn’t resist adding a picture of the glaze on the other side of the hobin.

C9947F85-F1F5-4C3A-A695-66BEA4E4AE9D.jpeg
C9947F85-F1F5-4C3A-A695-66BEA4E4AE9D.jpeg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
F7DE8950-7D26-44C0-87CE-091AAEA315D0.jpeg
F7DE8950-7D26-44C0-87CE-091AAEA315D0.jpeg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
debunix

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:32 am

The back view of that hohin is lovely! and the tea sounds excellent too
DailyTX

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:43 pm

Revisiting the 12 yr aged golden melon ripe pu erh tuo. Only bought 100 gram from YS. It’s a good budget shou pu. Nothing to wow about and nothing to complain. I have 2 more tuo left, will see if any changes next year
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 am

Drinking some 1980s shou produced in Thailand for the HK market! HK traditionally stored, and then naturally stored for decades. Really good material and lovely light bitterness and ku wei. Very smooth and clean with more thickness than I'd expect for the age: this was beautifully stored. Perfectly good to drink in White Label hongni! I was given a sample to test by one of my suppliers and I'm really enjoying this tea. It's well outside the price range for tea I'd buy for myself, so I feel lucky (blessed, really) to be able to drink something this special! I suspect old tree material was used for this stuff based on the time period. Definitely much better value than CNNP plantation shou from the same period IMO!
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Something I don’ t drink often: Puerh.

Got gifted two cakes from a friend, both Shengs from Yiwu, 2007 and 2010. Pressed by Sunsing in HK. According to my friend both are from 100-300y old trees (can’t tell nor verify).

Both are pleasant and nice to drink, only the second source I ever had Puerh that I enjoyed from! Previously I had almost given up on this kind of tea…

I did prefer the 2010, which is a tea I could certainly include in my regular drinking rotation. It had these old-book/wood and sour apple kind of flavours to it that I do enjoy. The 2007 was not bad, just lacking a bit in character next to the other one in my opinion.

Anyone ever tried teas from Sunsing?
mrmopu

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:45 pm
Something I don’ t drink often: Puerh.

Got gifted two cakes from a friend, both Shengs from Yiwu, 2007 and 2010. Pressed by Sunsing in HK. According to my friend both are from 100-300y old trees (can’t tell nor verify).

Both are pleasant and nice to drink, only the second source I ever had Puerh that I enjoyed from! Previously I had almost given up on this kind of tea…

I did prefer the 2010, which is a tea I could certainly include in my regular drinking rotation. It had these old-book/wood and sour apple kind of flavours to it that I do enjoy. The 2007 was not bad, just lacking a bit in character next to the other one in my opinion.

Anyone ever tried teas from Sunsing?
Sunsing is good. Bok , you need to drink more puerh.. 8-)
Bok
Vendor

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm

mrmopu wrote:
Haha, maybe. As it is, I am already in enough bottomless rabbit holes that require my attention... But as a random break from my Oolongs, I do like this kind of Sheng. Good to hear my impression of them being decent teas being confirmed by more seasoned Puerh drinkers :mrgreen:

Another point in trust your gut. Glad I did try first without asking, going into the experience not expecting anything.

It was the 2010 Yiwu Old Street and 2007 Yiwu Jing Long.
Chadrinkincat

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm
mrmopu wrote:
Haha, maybe. As it is, I am already in enough bottomless rabbit holes that require my attention... But as a random break from my Oolongs, I do like this kind of Sheng. Good to hear my impression of them being decent teas being confirmed by more seasoned Puerh drinkers :mrgreen:

Another point in trust your gut. Glad I did try first without asking, going into the experience not expecting anything.

It was the 2010 Yiwu Old Street and 2007 Yiwu Jing Long.
MarshallN wrote about that 07 cake. Back when it was an under $20 cake.

Prices for most of their puerh have skyrocketed beyond their worth.