Simplicity deferred

Baisao

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Tillerman wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:51 pm
Baisao wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:13 am
Please forgive me if I’ve misunderstood. I might replace “opposites” with “adaptability through mastery”. To elaborate on the example above, I see no reason why great tea cannot be made with a teapot with a slower than ideal pour. The knowledge required comes through having made tea thousands of times and acquired some mastery of the subject, such that adaptation becomes second nature.
I don't really like the term "mastery" (and much less "tea master") when applied to an endeavour. "Mastery" is akin to "tomorrow"; always out there but never realized.
That’s an eternal problem. ;-)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 am

Tillerman wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:51 pm
I don't really like the term "mastery" (and much less "tea master") when applied to an endeavour. "Mastery" is akin to "tomorrow"; always out there but never realized.
I do also have an acute allergy to any kind of "tea master". Usually coming along with followers, or as one could call them, tea-zombies. :mrgreen:
Baisao

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:53 am

Playfulness aside, I mean “mastery” as defined in 2a, which isn’t an end point but suggests the achievement of exceptional skill.

I’m allergic to 1a and 2b. I’m also allergic to hemp clothes and patchouli.
Attachments
D9E9FD4A-5178-400C-B304-01909EE74ADE.jpeg
D9E9FD4A-5178-400C-B304-01909EE74ADE.jpeg (262.08 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
Sweetestdew
Vendor

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:49 am

Simplicity and minimalism doesn't just mean lack of stuff, its more about lack of things that have no use.
I am hesistant to merely drop leaves in a bowl, which I think sacrafices flavor, for the sake of simplicity. Gaiwans and tea pots have uses and functions that mere bowl brewing cant match. To use a gaiwan does not mean your tea brewing isnt simple.

Simplicity to me comes more in what kind of gaiwan and what other objects you have. Do you have a hand painted Jingdezhen Gaiwan, that you brew next to fresh flowers and incense? This is where we lose simplicity.
OCTO

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:39 am

here's my take....

Simplicity in Quantity, doesn't equate simplicity in Quality.
Simplicity in Approach, doesn't equate simplicity in Outcome.
Simplicity in Preparation, doesn't equate simplicity in Execution (Brewing).
Simplicity in Appreciation, doesn't equate simplicity in Understanding.
Simplicity in Apparels, doesn't equate simplicity in Comprehension.

Throughout the journey in our world of tea appreciation and enjoyment, besides being annoyingly patient with what we want versus what we comprehend, we have to deal with a world that's increasingly paranoid over making simple things complex and making complex things simple.

IHO, simplicity made simple by making complex matters comprehendible. By doing so, we will achieve TRUE SIMPLICITY.

Here's my simply complex 2cents.

Cheers!!
Last edited by OCTO on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 am

@OCTO nice one! A simple, complex answer. :)
carogust

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:15 am

I'd say that simplicity is not better than complexity. Simplicity does have desirable qualities but so does complexity. Instead of blindly trying to force simplicity everywhere, ask where it is appropriate. Same goes for complexity. So in other words, aim for balance that completes the desired task the best.
Baisao

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 pm

OCTO wrote:
... increasingly paranoid over making simple things complex and making simple things complex.
What's does this mean?
OCTO

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:30 am

Baisao wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 pm
OCTO wrote:
... increasingly paranoid over making simple things complex and making simple things complex.
What's does this mean?
@Baisao

Thanks for highlighting this... Should read ... increasingly paranoid over making simple things complex and making complex things simple.

It all evolves around the concept of misplaced priorities. Where complexity is needed, it's absent. When it's best kept simple, the mind tricks it to be complex. This in return makes our journey in Tea Appreciation a very tiring one and often misunderstood to be unachievable to those without deep pockets or deep understanding.

Cheers!!
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:44 am

OCTO wrote:
makes our journey in Tea Appreciation a very tiring one and often misunderstood to be unachievable to those without deep pockets or deep understanding.

Cheers!!
+1 on that, OCTO.

I would go further & not talk about "our journey" which implies one must keep moving & because he is on that trip he might get somewhere that is better than where he started. This "mimetic fallacy" may lead to spending more time trying tea we don't like than enjoying the tea we already found that we love & having teapots on our shelves that almost never get used. Sort of running in a circle around where he really wants to be.

I spent yesterday selling at an event (one of the 3 days in a year that I do this). Some people bought substantial quantities of the same teas that they had bought 2 or 3 years ago, but did not buy from me the last time or 2 that I was at the event from me because they were experimenting so much.

On the other hand, if one only drinks the same teas & is settled on his teaware, what can he talk about?

Cheers
Baisao

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:18 pm

OCTO wrote:
It all evolves around the concept of misplaced priorities. Where complexity is needed, it's absent. When it's best kept simple, the mind tricks it to be complex. This in return makes our journey in Tea Appreciation a very tiring one and often misunderstood to be unachievable to those without deep pockets or deep understanding.
I dig this. Well, said. As for any contention regarding “journey”, I suppose some people will terminate their journey earlier than others, perhaps even immediately.
Noonie

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:47 am

Ethan Kurland wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:44 am
OCTO wrote:
makes our journey in Tea Appreciation a very tiring one and often misunderstood to be unachievable to those without deep pockets or deep understanding.

Cheers!!
+1 on that, OCTO.

I would go further & not talk about "our journey" which implies one must keep moving & because he is on that trip he might get somewhere that is better than where he started. This "mimetic fallacy" may lead to spending more time trying tea we don't like than enjoying the tea we already found that we love & having teapots on our shelves that almost never get used. Sort of running in a circle around where he really wants to be.

I spent yesterday selling at an event (one of the 3 days in a year that I do this). Some people bought substantial quantities of the same teas that they had bought 2 or 3 years ago, but did not buy from me the last time or 2 that I was at the event from me because they were experimenting so much.

On the other hand, if one only drinks the same teas & is settled on his teaware, what can he talk about?

Cheers
I blame the internet (and praise it) :mrgreen:

Thanks to forums like this, and the ease of browsing vendors websites I’m inundated with information about tea, and my personality craves this. However, this also leads to tea sessions that are, meh, instead of fantastic; because I have tea I’ve purchased, that is okay but not good as x or y, and I may as well work through it.