Introduce Yourself

Jo
Mrs. Chip

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi dottie, welcome to our forum. I am looking forward to seeing you around 8-)
t-curious

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Welcome to the forum @dottea!
polezaivsani

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello fellow folks, i'm Vasilii from Russia's Kaliningrad! I've been introduced to Chinese tea about half a dozen years back and it's been a pleasant company in all the endeavors into finer matters of life ever since. Though i'd like to call myself greenhorn in this parlor, not least for the fact that young shens are my most cherished kinds of tea.

When i'm not visiting my friends at the tea house, i mostly drink tea solo, using whatever ad hoc utensils i can get. The ceremony might look pretty cheap on the outside, but i try to stir the deepest sensations on the inside.

It's actually the search for a first dedicated pot that led me to this place. To boot i found that a pot i missed a chance to buy is now being offered in the next section.

It's getting cold around where i live and that means i'll be getting more excuses to look at some uncharted specimens searching for a lovely winter cup of tea. Good times!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Welcome to TeaForum @polezaivsani. Love your introduction :) looking forward to your contributions here 🍃
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Welcome to our forum, polezalvsanl, so glad you are here. Love your intro!!!
I am looking forward to learning more about you and your TeaJourney.
Last edited by Jo on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
t-curious

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Welcome to the forum @polezaivsani!
Muadeeb

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:52 am

Hi all, I'm Michael! I'm not very active on the tea forums anymore, but I guess it's time to introduce myself anyway.

How long have you been drinking tea?

All my life, growing up in a Russian household tea was served after dinner with some cookies. About 6 years ago, I got into gongfu tea.

What kind of tea do you drink?

Oolongs and green tea, although I'm currently drinking a yerba mate at work.

How do you prepare your tea?

I have a few gongfu pots, a few kyusus, and I'll make grampa style if I'm just using up the bottom leaves in a bag.

What tea knowledge are you interested in exploring right now?

I'm always interested in learning about new oolongs, but I think I'm in the "cruising" portion of my tea journey where I don't need to expand my knowledge about techniques and history.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?

I enjoy having a somewhat affordable luxury that doesn't have many downsides. Living 10 minutes away from Pedant keeps me plugged in to the tea world, otherwise I'd just be ordering the same things from the same vendors.

What is your location?

Chicago suburbs
t-curious

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum @Muadeeb 😁

Are you perchance a Dune fan?
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Muadeeb, glad you joined us, nice to see "old faces".
Victoria
Admin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Welcome @Muadeeb. I really enjoy using your Tachi Masaki shigaraki kyusu. Thank you.
Pants404

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 pm

My name is Corey, and I am 30 years old. I may not be very active in forums, but I have been lurking on the old forum for a while.
I am also occasionally active on a Facebook group

I began drinking black tea bags, as is typical in Australia, around 15 years ago. This slowly progressed to lose the sugar and milk over a few years, then I found loose leaf keemun which stuck with me for another few years.
Finally in Vancouver in 2015 I almost walked past treasure green tea shop, but saw the teaware in the window (I like 'things'), so I decided to enter the store to see what it was all about.
It has all been a slippery slope over the last 4 years.

I mostly drink yancha, black teas, sheng, and shou.
I have recently begun venturing into Japanese greens which I am enjoying.

I pretty much keep to gongfu sessions for one, in a rather relaxed sense. I will also make the occasional insulated thermos of Dian Hong when im going out for the day.

I am learning what I can about Japanese sencha right now.

What factors lead you to delve into the world of tea, and what is keeping you there?
I really enjoy the teaware side of it, so I have accrued a modest collection of yixing pots, and now I have a couple kyusu as well.
Hand made wares have a feel to them that can't be found in mass produced products. They express the care that was put into them by their craftsman. I find yixing pots to be warm and calming, while the Japanese items I have that were made by Touju glow to me with a level of skill and attention that comes with a lifetime of experience. I am fond of his work.
Using these pots, getting to know them, feeling their textured but smooth surfaces and basking in their warmth just makes me warm inside. Literally and figuratively.

I also enjoy learning about the nuances of the individual batches of tea, and practicing the skills I have developed to try and bring out the best in them. After each steep, whether I have done well or not, the tea displays itself in a way that I can know what I have done, right or wrong, and sometimes finding new details in the same teas. It is just something that fits really well with me and brings me a lot of joy even if I ruin a brew.

What is your location?
I am in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.
There is very little here in the way of "real" tea (I hate to sound snobbish, but you know what I mean).
I am just about restricted to online distributors, and a trading section of this forum.
There are also very few people who are even remotely interested In This style of tea, so I almost always prepare tea just for myself or my partner.

Thanks for reading my rambling. This was written whilst donating blood.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Pants404 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:28 pm
while the Japanese items I have that were made by Touju glow to me with a level of skill and attention that comes with a lifetime of experience. I am fond of his work.
Using these pots, getting to know them, feeling their textured but smooth surfaces and basking in their warmth just makes me warm inside. Literally and figuratively..
Nicely phrased!

Welcome!
t-curious

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 am

Welcome to the forum @Pants404! I’m in the same boat as you in terms of going it alone locally with tea. I’m glad we have this resource to fall back on. :)
Xiong
New user

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:08 pm

I have been drinking tea since I was very young, so probably close to 50 years

Black teas, green teas, Oolong teas, pu-erh teas, but mostly green teas

with hot water and tea :D sometimes in a defuser sometimes just pour the water over the leaves

Many years ago (25) I was very interested in pursuing a certification as a Tea Sommelier, but a divorce at that time stopped that in its tracks and then a later trip to China showed me exactly how much I don't know about tea. Over the last few years I have been drinking mostly CTC tea that you find in tea bags, but this recent study abot plastics in tea bags has brought e back to the loose leaf teas and has aleo revived my interest in teas. So I am once again considering a certification as a Tea Sommelier, but that is currently just a thought

I like to drink tea and I enjoyed learning about it too. It actually displaced my coffee pursuits

What is your location?

Northeastern USA
pedant
Admin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 pm

welcome back to loose leaf tea, @Xiong

oh yeah, and welcome to the forum, too :mrgreen: