European Teaware

Korea, Europe, the Americas, and abroad
debunix

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am

Where do you order 'directly from him' [Jiri Duchek]?
.m.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 am

debunix wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:12 am
Where do you order 'directly from him' [Jiri Duchek]?
Maybe
http://www.keramikaduchek.cz/
https://www.facebook.com/keramikaduchek/
lUKAV28

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:37 am

This is it, yes. You can write him an email and he usually send pictures of items in stock or from any new firings he has done.
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:11 pm

@lUKAV28 thanks for starting this interesting thread. Some really nice teaware here. With no sack or curve on the underside of Jiří Duchek’s spouts, how is the pour? They are pretty straight.

I have two interesting very wabi-sabi, highly textured and tactile pieces by a mystery artist named Nijuboshi who lives (or lived) in France. Another French tea aficionado bought some of his ceramics a few years ago but now says he doesn’t have any news about him. I bought two pieces from him, a chawan and a tea caddie. According to to the guy I bought these from “Nijuboshi lived in France and built a tiny wood fire kiln in his garden. He brought clay from his walks in the mountain of the Alpes de Haute Provence, 'just enough to make one bowl or two each time’. He put the clay in his pockets and made the bowl back home. He is a very mystical person, secret and mysterious.“

Wood-fired chawan and tea caddie by the artist Nijuboshi, made from clay harvested by the artist in the mountain of the Alpes de Haute Provence. Screen shots courtesy of French vendor.

French Tea Caddie by Nijuboshi.jpg
French Tea Caddie by Nijuboshi.jpg (351.91 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
French signature by Nijuboshi.jpg
French signature by Nijuboshi.jpg (290.78 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
French chawan by Nijuboshi.jpg
French chawan by Nijuboshi.jpg (297.71 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 pm

I was wondering that as well about Ducheks spout constructions. To my eye they look like they will dribble, unless they are only meant for Japanese tea?
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Bok wrote:
I was wondering that as well about Ducheks spout constructions. To my eye they look like they will dribble, unless they are only meant for Japanese tea?
What, Japanese teas don’t drip :lol:
Bok
Vendor

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Victoria wrote:
Bok wrote:
I was referring to the way one pours very slowly usually for Japanese teas and does not fill the pot to the brim/aka waterline, so dribbling is not such an issue...
Victoria
Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Bok wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 pm
Victoria wrote:
Bok wrote:
I was referring to the way one pours very slowly usually for Japanese teas and does not fill the pot to the brim/aka waterline, so dribbling is not such an issue...
Yeah, a dribbling spout is still an issue with certain kyusu. Pouring slowly doesn’t change that. In @Chip’s 12 Days of Kyusu thread he talks quite a bit about dribbling drippy spouts, especially with Junzo Maekawa‘s kyusu. It’s annoyingly to see a drop of pure gold dribble away down the underside of a spout :x .
lUKAV28

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 am

Bok wrote:
@Victoria @Bok actually they do have a small curve, tested two of them and zero issues with pouring. No dribble with slow or fast pouring. Oh and yes they pour really fast.
rdl

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 am

Victoria wrote:
I have two interesting very wabi-sabi, highly textured and tactile pieces by a mystery artist named Nijuboshi who lives (or lived) in France. Another French tea aficionado bought some of his ceramics a few years ago but now says he doesn’t have any news about him. I bought two pieces from him, a chawan and a tea caddie. According to to the guy I bought these from “Nijuboshi lived in France and built a tiny wood fire kiln in his garden. He brought clay from his walks in the mountain of the Alpes de Haute Provence, 'just enough to make one bowl or two each time’. He put the clay in his pockets and made the bowl back home. He is a very mystical person, secret and mysterious.“
Victoria,
I wonder if he is around the village of Moustiers Sainte-Marie, famous for it's ceramics. Not only the remarkable location, but I imagine it is possible to gather clay from the surrounding mountains.
Your pieces are very stunning. How is the feel of them in use?
lUKAV28

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:21 pm

@Bok so far I’ve quickly tasted two Duchek’s pots, the rye one with maocha from the last essence of tea club and it was incredible. I was brewing that particular tea in a porcelain and chaozhou gaiwan before and really noticed the pleasant difference this time around. Next I tried the cracking glaze pot. I brewed hongcha in it and it was terrible. I picked the pot because of its (at least for now) glazed interior but the tea came out flat, bitter and far from the smooth, creamy experience I had with the same tea in a chaozhou pot. I saw those cracking glaze Duchek’s pots in use with dong dings so will need to try that out. This is it for now.
Bok
Vendor

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:37 pm

@lUKAV28thanks for the feedback!

Glaze is not glaze, I had bad experience with crackle glazed pieces from Japan in the past... I suspect it has to do with at what temperature a tea is brewed.
Victoria
Admin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

rdl wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 am
Victoria wrote:
Victoria,
I wonder if he is around the village of Moustiers Sainte-Marie, famous for it's ceramics. Not only the remarkable location, but I imagine it is possible to gather clay from the surrounding mountains.
Your pieces are very stunning. How is the feel of them in use?
@rdl thank you. The clay may very well be from there, nice to have this extra information. So far I’m only using the tea caddy and I really like touching it. It has a very nice textural quality and form. The chawan I’m just admiring at the moment :) 🍃
lUKAV28

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Bok wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:37 pm
lUKAV28thanks for the feedback!

Glaze is not glaze, I had bad experience with crackle glazed pieces from Japan in the past... I suspect it has to do with at what temperature a tea is brewed.
Did you find good use for them?

Firstly I suspected the water as I used filtered (waterlogic hybrid) when brewing in cracking glaze pot and not bottled as I did with chaozhou pot. That is why I tried brewing with filtered water in chaozhou pot too and it was just that much better. Hopefully will have more time to experiment further during the weekend.
Bok
Vendor

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 pm

@lUKAV28 no, unfortunately they stayed unused since then...