Tea and Personality

Tillerman
Vendor

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:37 pm

John_B wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:53 pm
There seems to be an "eternal newbie" type as well, that never moves off interest in Harney and Sons versions, but likes to talk about that online.
@John_B, perhaps you did not mean it thus but the way you have worded this sentence makes it seem pejorative. I hope I am misreading between the lines (even though there is just one line.) For my part, I've no problem with the "eternal newbie." Their interest in tea may be a casual one but that's ok - not everyone will be hard-core nerds like us. And I am sure you also have casual interests in some things that others take very seriously; I know I do.

On another note, Harney and Sons are honest merchants. No, their stuff isn't the best of class, perhaps, but it always is what it claims to be. That's much more than can be said for some claiming to trade in top end teas.
John_B

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 am

I don't interpret what I said as negative, instead as value-neutral. Maybe "newbie" seems judgmental? It means this:

new·bie /ˈn(y)o͞obē/

an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity.

The contradiction is between liking to talk about tea--self-identifying as a tea enthusiast, since the type categories don't apply to anyone else--and not experiencing much related to it, not related to not moving forward in experience level. I'm not offended by either, any more than I'm put off by someone preferring coffee.

If someone wanted to talk about drinking Lipton every day in a tea group or forum I'd be fine with that, there just wouldn't be much for them to say.

There is room for people to live out a broad experience of tea appreciation within the scope of Harney and Sons, or only Teavana's teas, or David's, or whatever else. The "inexperienced" part would still apply, to some extent, just not the "newcomer" aspect.
Tillerman
Vendor

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:26 am

John_B wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 am
I don't interpret what I said as negative, instead as value-neutral.
@John_B Great, glad I was wrong. Cheers. D.
John_B

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 am

In a sense we all choose to let more drop when it comes to tea interest than we pursue. It's implied in those personality types outlined, which of course are just some patterns that do seem to work, not a clear mapping.

As I see it if someone wants to stick with grocery store tea forever that's fine. It is odd wanting to discuss that, to also take up the self-identification part, but there are groups for that. I participate in a couple. There I really stand out for over-sharing, but it seems likely that eventually some minority will want to hear it. To the rest it's surely just noise to tune out. And probably in "more advanced" groups too, just to a lesser extent, hopefully.
Noonie

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:11 am

@Bok I like the taxonomy. Always harder to start something than critique it after.

I see myself as a hybrid with a few categories that do not apply (Spiritual being, exuberant, explorer—but want to join that club!, sharer, non-local local).
Sweetestdew
Vendor

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 am

I think my tea drinking is greatly influenced by my general simplicity.

In other parts of my life I don't crave fancy things. My phone is always the cheapest, I wear the same shoes till they break, and my apartment has almost zero decorations. I like the things I own to have a purpose. I do wear suits, but that's because I noticed people treat you with more respect when you wear a suit.

When it comes to teach drinking Im the same; no time for ceremony. The major of my teaware is cheap and my tea table doesn't have anything that doesn't serve a function. One day I will open a tea house and when I do the design will be based on being comfortable. I prefer normal wicker chairs over japanese cusions everyday of the week. I understand a tea house has to have some beauty, and nice teaware can help improve the expirence, but I there is a line. I want the focus on the flavor of the tea, not the idea of drinking tea.

(might have ranted here)
Bok
Vendor

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Sweetestdew wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 am
I think my tea drinking is greatly influenced by my general simplicity.
Than it seems you are the archetype of the Purist! ;)

I was well on my way to reduce and streamline my tea-wares for optimal performance… then I discovered the importance of clay on the taste of teas and it all disintegrated from there onwards.

You are right to focus on the taste of the tea, yet the tools to arrive there are countless. I myself find it difficult to choose only a few to use with everything – unless I would drastically reduce the amount of teas I drink, then I’d probably need less tea ware.

Ah forget it, I will never be able to resist the temptations… I am a purist in mind only, in reality I own way too many tea things.
_Soggy_

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 pm

When are you going to start your own quiz to archetype us?
Chadrinkincat

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:43 pm

John_B wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 am
In a sense we all choose to let more drop when it comes to tea interest than we pursue. It's implied in those personality types outlined, which of course are just some patterns that do seem to work, not a clear mapping.

As I see it if someone wants to stick with grocery store tea forever that's fine. It is odd wanting to discuss that, to also take up the self-identification part, but there are groups for that. I participate in a couple. There I really stand out for over-sharing, but it seems likely that eventually some minority will want to hear it. To the rest it's surely just noise to tune out. And probably in "more advanced" groups too, just to a lesser extent, hopefully.
The pejorative of this is the hyper social small talker type.
Bok
Vendor

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:18 am

_Soggy_ wrote:
I think that would probably be a bit intrusive... haha

One can guess a lot of it by reading between the lines of the postings.
Tillerman
Vendor

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 am

Bok wrote:
_Soggy_ wrote:

Even when they are single-spaced??
Ethan Kurland
Vendor

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 am

Chadrinkincat wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:43 pm
…. hyper social small talker type.
Great phrase. I wish I was being called a hyper-social, small talker instead of "rude" etc. when people try to stop me from doing my duty to remind people that we are supposed to acknowledge each others' existence when shopping etc.
_Soggy_

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Bok wrote:
_Soggy_ wrote:

I meant one of those quiz things that you take and it tells you which you are.
Bok
Vendor

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm

@_Soggy_ that would be fun - but I wouldn’t feel qualified to create one...
Elise

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 am

Interesting topic that I’ve been reading carefully. It made me think about where I can place myself in this vast landscape of tea people. I feel it’s important to know where I am, where I come from and where I want to go (and eventually what impression I give to others).