Storage odor question (plastic smell from fridge)

Tetsubin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi,

I am currently building a pumidor (for puerh storage) but the fridge i am using has a sort of new-plastic smell which is quite strong. So far I have tried to use tea on the interior to mute the smell but then it just smell like both tea and plastic. I have tried using baking soda (dissolved in water) on the interior and dry baking soda in a bowl which resulted in no change in the odor. Have anyone solved this type of problem previously?
Last edited by pedant on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit: made title more descriptive
pedant
Admin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 pm

there's some relevant discussion here:

viewtopic.php?p=4728#p4728
viewtopic.php?p=4743#p4743

not specifically for plastic smell however.

i would try washing the entire interior of the fridge with unscented soap, being careful to remove all of the soap residue with plenty of passes with a clean rag and water.

also, pay attention to the different parts of the interior. it's possible that one thing in particular (a shelf or plastic flap or something) is made of a different material that is contributing most of the smell. in that case, maybe you could remove it.

then i'd leave the fridge open for a long time. perhaps even a month.

re-evaluate progress by closing the fridge for a few hours to let interior odors 'charge up'. then open it and quickly stick your head in there and smell.

good luck
pedant
Admin

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 pm

btw, is it a new fridge?
Tetsubin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 am

Thank you for the good adivce @pedant.

I will try with the unsented soap.

I have already taken out al the interior and those parts do not have a plastic smell to the after cleaning.

The fridge is about two months old. The smell has persisted.